Author Topic: Question for BIG Fluffy Dog owners...Great Pyrenees, Leonberger, Newfie  (Read 16524 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
When when people say, " NOT For Everyone". When it comes to Great Pyrenees, and the Saints.
What do they do that they can't be for everyone?

Well, it's not just saints and pyrs that are not for everyone. Really, any dog could be called "not for everyone", because every breed of dog has it's own features. And pretty much every big dog will have the same core issues to deal with.

That being said, as a saint owner I will say that these are the issues that are off-putting to others that I need to deal with for my saint:
*Shedding ALL the time.
*Frequent Drool
*Having a big ol dog laying around that you need to step over and work around if they are sleeping or standing in the way
*Having the air conditioning on in the summer even if I am not home so that she can stay cool. Also not keeping her out long in the summer because she doesn't do well in the heat
*Getting briuses on my foot because she will accidentally step on it occasionally and man is she heavy
*Hip dysplacia, which requires education, special supplements, vet bills, and literally lifting for 135 butt off of the floor if she is having trouble getting up, not to mention the heartbreak of seeing her in pain
*Other health problems - Zoey doesn't have it, but saints are also pronte to eye problems
*Tail wag - she can literally knock a drink off a short table with her tail when she is excited and wagging it hard
*Excersize - people think that its ok to just have saints lie around all day, but even though they like to sleep alot and just be mellow in the house you still need to give them walks for excersize
*Expense - saints, like all other well cared for dogs, are expensive to take care of
*Training - you have to take training seriously. For instance, I'm a petite woman, so zoey has to be very well trained to walk with me, since she could technically pull me into the roud if she was really trying to pull me
*Grooming - a bigger dog means more to deal with come bath and brushing time
*Having the dog with the family - saints are not dogs that can be left alone all of the time. They love their owners and want to be with them, so they should be included in your family.

But, if you can put up with these issues, what you get is a sweet, loving, caring, cuddly, beautiful, awesome dog who is good with people and animals alike.

Oh, and by the way, no saints aren't huge barkers to my knowledge. There are only two things that make zoey bark: Strangers coming to the door (but once she sees we are ok with them, she is suddenly their best friend) and sketchy people walking by when we are in the yard at night. In both cases it's her way of warning people off because she wants to protect her momma (meanwhile she is also a scardey cat most of the time and will hide behind me when things freak her out).

I'm attaching a few pics to give you an idea of what comes along with big dog ownership, like the dirty pippin pic (which by the way, zoey has never been that dirty, saints aren't diggers like pyrs). The pics I'm attaching are the fur from a brushing session, a picture of a long drool, and a picture of zoey laying in the way at the base of the couch. But all of it is worth it - just look at the sweet face  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 09:07:07 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
My Bella does not fit into your category of fluffy, but I had to add my two cents also. :)
Bella drools a lot for a Dane, and she sheds, and she tracks in lots of dirt, etc. etc.  I wouldn't trade her for the world! :D  I had to LOL when I read the remark about checking the ceiling for drool.  It's not an exaggeration, it's true!  I have to wipe some of my walls and kitchen cabinets from Bella shaking her head with big drool hanging down. ;D
I had always been anal about my house.  I love antique furniture and persian rugs, but when I decided to get Bella, I knew that was out the window.  My friends have been shocked at how much I have changed about my housekeeping.  Mind you, I am still a slight neat freak, but anything associated with Bella is OK!  If she makes the mess, well so what!  I have a woman come and clean once a week so that I can relax more and not care. I just wish that people who choose to have dogs would realize these things so that there weren't so many poor puppers out there who need homes just because they drooled or got too big. :'(
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Gypsy Jazmine

When when people say, " NOT For Everyone". When it comes to Great Pyrenees, and the Saints.
What do they do that they can't be for everyone?

like the dirty pippin pic (which by the way, zoey has never been that dirty, saints aren't diggers like pyrs).
Pippin takes dirty to a totally superbulous (sp?) level though :D...lol!...He doesn't just dig...He rolls & wallows in mud...I am not sure if dirty to this extent is comman for Pyrs. :-\

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I promise to reply when I have more time! I hope some of my answers will help!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I bet if you walked Pippen in the street just like that, people would difenitly say, " WOW, that is a BIG Newfie"... hee hee.

Thanks alot guys for your input. :-*

I need more Leonberger info!  :D

Thanks again ;)
Ruta

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
I thought of your question as I was feeding this morning and took the picture below.  Some are supplements, some are medications.  Health concerns are definitely a major issue.  We lost our last Pyr to autoimmune problems despite thousands of $ spent trying to save him. 

Also consider your own health and whether or not you are able to care for a big paw.  This was a major concern for me when we got Carter and Katie but it has actually worked fairly well.  They give me the incentive to get out and walk and care for them even on days when I'm not feeling well.  I do worry a bit that they'll be an added burden to my family should my health deteriorate again but on the other hand, they are a great incentive to work hard to eat well, rest, all that good stuff.

Feeding time/pill time at the zoo:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:28:22 am by longshadowfarms »
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

I bet if you walked Pippen in the street just like that, people would difenitly say, " WOW, that is a BIG Newfie"... hee hee.
Ruta
That's it!...I think Pippin wants to be a Newf! :D & he doesn't have to be dirty for people to call him a Newf...Believe it or not it happens fairly frequently...l ol...The other day I was asked if he was a Chow Chow & just yesterday morning a lady at the gas pump next to me asked if He & Samson were Yellow Labs? :D ::) :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:11:02 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Ah yes, health issues.
I had a Golden Retriever for 13yrs.  He had hyperthiroidis m.  He was on those pills since he we 2 yrs old.  AND he was allergic to everything.

With these two I have, I give them these pills every day so that we can have green grass in the backyard.  AND guess what, the grass is still green! Woo-hoo!
Kuma and Lugan are on Large Breed Dog Food. So I hope that helps them.
When it comes to feeding them, I just pour a big 32oz cup full of food, and that's it for the day.  I am SO glad these two are not big eatters.

DakotaMom

Ok, here are my answers. The Leonberger Club America site has more information if you would like the link.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

I am looking in the future for a BIG brother for Kuma.
I am curious about each breed.
I figure I will ask questions to these owners.

How are these dogs as puppies? Leonbergers are very cute as puppies. In most cases they are very quick learners and love to please.

How are their appittes (sp?)? My two have very good appetites. Nani is a bit slower and more willing to taste what she is eating.

Do they have rear dew claws? I have never heard of rear dew claws on Leos, they also always have webbed feet.

Are they obident (sp?)?  OMG, my spelling is BAD  In most cases they love to please but they can be stubborn. They have a great sense of humor when they don't want to do what you ask. The are also very emotional and most do well with positive reinforcement.

Would you trust your furbaby off leash in the park? Yes, but I keep a VERY close eye on them.

Are they really hyper? There are what we call turbo Leos but mine are very laid back.

What are their weight?

How tall are they? Males can be 28-31.5 inches, females 25.5-29.5 inches.

How's the drooling factor? They only drool for food or after getting a drink, but then they prefer to wipe their mouths on someones lap.

If you could change something about them what would it be? I wouldn't change anything about this breed. I love them very much and hope to have more.

Any agression? If any, what are they? none that I'm aware of.

Any flaws in your opinion?? no

Your furbabies grew up and now they are grown, what should you have done while they were wee things that would have done him/her better now? More socialization, but isn't that what we all say.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Thank you DakotaMom for your input. In my case, I would need to look for the Leonberger Club of Canada.I have e-mail this one person on her info.  But she has not gotten back to me.

Thank-you every body, don't stop tho with your own person experience with your Fluffy fur babies.

Sorry, to the non-fluffy furparents :-[, I don't mean to leave you guys out.  I am just focusing on what I like, and narrowing down to my decision.

I am leaning toward the Leonberger's side.  I was an all go for a Great Pyrenees.  But someone in chat last week said 'Why not a Leo?".  I want a HUGE Fluffy dog like I've seen in a resuce in the states.   His name is Zane.  He is a combo of Great Pryenees and Newfie.  Now after you guy's input.  I like the not barking so much, and can be trusted off leash breed of the Leonberger.  I want tall too, so that there be alot of head turners... hee hee.

Thank-you again guys... uhmm GALS :-*

DakotaMom

You can still check out their site. They have a lot of great information about the breed and there are some LCA breeders in Canada. Where are you in Canada?

I love this breed very much and have not regretted my decision at all. They have such a wonderful temperment and sense of humor. My girls love to do things that make us laugh.

edited to add: A Leonberger is a great choice if you want to be noticed. I took the girls for a walk last night and had people yelling at us while driving down the road that thought they are beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 10:27:13 am by DakotaMom »

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I am in Ontario, DakotaMom  ::)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
I am looking in the future for a BIG brother for Kuma.
I am curious about each breed.
I figure I will ask questions to these owners.

Well South Russian Ovcharkas are rather rare, but they are big and fluffy! So here goes.

How are these dogs as puppies?  Don't know -- adopted him at 4 years old.

How are their appittes (sp?)?  BIG.

Do they have rear dew claws?  He does.

Are they obident (sp?)?  OMG, my spelling is BAD :'(
   Self-reliant (translation:  does obey when he knows it's in his best interest)

Would you trust your furbaby off leash in the park?
   Nope.

Are they really hyper?  Nope

What are their weight?  about 100 lbs.

How tall are they?  34 inches at the withers.

How's the drooling factor?  Slight.

If you could change something about them what would it be?
   Nothing

Any agression? If any, what are they?  Nope

Any flaws in your opinion??  Flaws?  Nope -- just personality quirks that I have learned to accept (like deciding whether or not to be cooperative).

Your furbabies grew up and now they are grown, what should you have done while they were wee things that would have done him/her better now?  N/A

Did I leave out anything??
Please add...

THANK-YOU for your time  ;D

Ruta
Sarah

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
smsmith... Why do you not trust Ensitne off leash?

Thanks for your input

Ruta

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Goes back to his thinking for himself -- I'm not always sure he'll WANT to come when I call.  Most times, he's pretty happy to do what I ask, but there have been times when he refuses to get up (try moving 100 lbs. of white shaggy dog). 

This may all be greatly alleviated when we go to obedience training together.

I've only had him since January -- and he's changed 180degrees since then.
Sarah