Author Topic: newfie pup  (Read 2152 times)

kate newfie fan

newfie pup
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:54:31 pm »
my newfie pup dakota is lovely only problem he loves eating soil how can i stop him it does make him sick

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: newfie pup
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 01:03:34 pm »
Congrats on your new puppy!!  Aren't they just the very cutest things on the whole planet??  Pictures please!!

As to the eating dirt....he's a baby.  Restrict him to areas where he doesn't have access to dirt unless you are with him.    He won't learn about it unless you teach him "leave it".  It's one of the most important commands you can teach him, along with "come".  I think the key to training a Newf is to keep him with you as much as possible.  They are such people-pleasers and he'll get used to your expectations.  Please keep us posted and for sure! post pictures!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 01:16:59 pm »
I agree with Newflvr that teaching "leave it" is very important and that you can use it to tell him what to not to touch/eat (such as soil). I would also suggest that you teach "take it" at the same time. That way, your pup not only learns to leave things alone on command, but they get into the habit of not taking things without permission.

Another thing That I would suggest to you is to spay the dirt with bitter apple spray. Most dogs HATE bitter taste, so bitter apple spray, which is usually used to prevent chewing, should make the soil unappetizing.
RIP former BPO

kate newfie fan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 01:22:38 pm »
thanks for your tips ihave had him at the vet in the last few days and he suggested i tie him up out the back garden so he cant reach the soil but i didnt like the sound of that also he is a very fussy eater and wont and i mean wont eat dog food so he is now on a diet of chicken minced meat fish pasta and rice spoiled or what it was the only answer honestly

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:27:02 pm »
he suggested i tie him up out the back garden so he cant reach the soil but i didnt like the sound of that also he is a very fussy eater and wont and i mean wont eat dog food so he is now on a diet of chicken minced meat fish pasta and rice

How smart you are to ignore that vet's advice!  Newfs are NOT meant to be tied up (or is any dog, really) but you would break your Newfie's heart.  I would even think of looking for a new vet:  one who understand the giant breed!   ::)

My Newfs hate kibble as well.  You need to be careful, though, with a puppy that you are getting in all the necessary nutrients and enzymes (to help him digest his food) with a home-made diet.  Others here have good advice about feeding a giant.  We kept Chester on kibble supplimented with cooked meats until he was a year old.  Now he gets meat, veg and Coco's Cuisine with calcium and probiotics.