Author Topic: Weekly Update on Barkley  (Read 2140 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Weekly Update on Barkley
« on: April 12, 2006, 10:18:49 am »
Wow...it's almost three full weeks since the rotton diagnosis, and my guy is doing GREAT!  He's sleeping just a teensy bit more, but his appetite is still good, as is his cheer.  We've not had any more accidents in the house at night, and I'm not noticing that he's drinking more than usual.

He's still losing body mass though, which is hard to see happen.  He was always such a fit, solid boy and now he's definitely boney ... you can feel his entire skeleton  :-\

the only other thing I'm noticing is his lower lip seems to tremor now ... especially if he thinks he's going to be fed (which he thinks is going to happen every time he sees me! My husband says he just sees a walking food bowl now when I come into view hehehe).  Has anyone else whose dog is on prednizone had experience with seeing that as a side effect?  We don't go back to the vet now until next Tuesday.  And I got all brave and bought a BIG bag of food yesterday!  I'm remaining optimistic!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Update on Barkley
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 10:21:41 am »
 I'm remaining optimistic!

I think that's the very best thing to do....both for Barkley and the rest of your family!  And why not go for the biggest bag of food?  He may want to stay for a long time yet!!!  Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for the up-date.  I wonder often how you and Barkley are doing! :-* :-* :-*

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:06:57 pm »
I'm glad he's doing well.  Kali sends lots of slobbers to both him and you.  We'll be keeping our fingers and paws crossed that he keeps doing as well as he is.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 12:10:54 pm »
We are sending hugs & positive thoughts to all of you and Barkley too. Thanks for the update. 

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 12:17:31 pm »
Great to hear Barkley is remaining strong. Big hugs to all ;)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:19:14 pm »
So glad to hear that Barkley is feeling chipper!  Having been on prednisone myself for way too long now, I can help out with a lot of these side effects :-\  Increased appetite is definitely a side effect, as is thirst as you've noticed.  I think we already covered the "feeling hot" side effect as well.  If he's interested in eating and is losing body mass, it might not hurt to increase the ammount of food that he is getting.  If he has trouble with eating more (can get indigestion as another side effect), you can try splitting it into smaller meals. Here's to hoping he goes all the way through that bag of food!
Daphne

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 12:21:49 pm »
Thanks Daphne!  I have him on three smaller meals already, but am totally open to upping his food intake.   I'm sure not worried about him getting overweight now ... and he's on a low protein mix which seems to be working well.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 01:59:50 pm »
I am glad to hear he is doing well! Zoey and I will continue to keep him in our thoughts :)
RIP former BPO

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 03:36:34 pm »
I've not been on here much for awhile and I was scouring the board searching for an update and here it is ! So glad to hear Barkley is doing so well ! We all love him !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 07:06:31 am »
So glad Barkley is doing so well. What a trooper. And good for you for being optimistic! Thanks for keeping us posted, as others have said, I think about you and Barkley often and wonder how you're doing.  :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge