Author Topic: In regards to my recent "VENTING" session - take a look at this...  (Read 2353 times)

k2campbell

Eric’s mom sent an email regarding my original post – please see below correspondence . (I’ve attached the link to original my post “VENTING…” at the bottom of this post).  I am SO PROUD of Eric for writing this!  I can’t believe he did (because he is a Momma’s boy!), but I just felt all “warm and fuzzy” after seeing that he took the time to write this.  Maybe this is just what she needed to hear (I don’t know if Eric’s gotten a response from her yet or not)…

Oh – and the situation with MY mom (you’ll read all about it in Eric’s response) I never really let any of you know about – now you do.  Just thought it’s not a really nice thing to be posting about (but) you guys should know too as you are all so supportive of me!

Kelly

EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE STARTS HERE:

Eric,

I just wanted to say “sorry”, I think I was a little harsh with you and Kelly on Saturday night in regards to Kate.  It’s just that she’s a dog, and I think the both of you take raising her way too seriously.  Hope I didn’t hurt any feelings though, and want you to know that I do actually like Kate, she’s just so much bigger than Wally (and) it’s hard to get used to her bouncing around…

Mom

Hi

I was joking about her eyes looking like her Dad’s, hope you didn't take that seriously.  Other than that, Kate's all we have and we love her like a kid (plus it’s good practice).  Should we be lucky enough to have a child anytime in the future – Kate will be treated the same way she is now.  She is not a “replacement” for a kid, we love her as much as we do (and) always will. 

Yes, she needs to eat small amounts of food 3-4 times a day, because her breed gets bloat, so if she eats a large amount of food at a time we could be spending money on vet bills or (worse case) losing her.  We think frequent feedings is a better choice…

Believe me, there are dog owners that are a lot worse when it comes to spoiling their dogs.  Kate's only 6 months old, if she was 1 or 2, I’m sure she could go longer than 4 hours alone at home without us.  But, for the next few months we aren't going to change a thing.  We won't bring her over anymore unless you ask us to.  We didn’t think it was a big deal seeing as your friends were gone, and she was in the yard for the majority of the hour or so we were there anyhow.  Maybe you should of just said “no” then when we asked if we could return to play cards with Kate with us…

Both Kelly and I are getting checked out (regarding having kids), I have my appointment at the beginning of February.  No one wants kids more than us and we are trying, the added stress from people probably doesn't help the fact.  I'm sure Kelly's mom being sick doesn't help either.  Kel and I never really have a minute alone, her Mom is driving me nuts (saying that in the nicest way possible) so I can imagine what she's doing to Kel…

Think about that – how would you feel if Grandma was mentally ill and you just became her Legal Guardian like Kelly did for her mom?  It’s a lot of stress (and) comments about how we’re “getting older” and “should have REAL kids” doesn’t help our situation at all.  It only worsens it.  Personally, I don’t think you could have became Grandma’s Guardian at 28 years old like Kelly is for her Mom now, could you?  I’m not saying that your comments were directed towards Kel’s mom’s situation – I’m saying that little silly comments about “having kids” and “doing too much for Kate” is the last thing we need when we’re dealing with a much more serious situation such as this…

We were both really upset when we got home Saturday.  We realize that some people are dog people and some aren't – which is fine.  But if they are ignorant to learning why some things have to be done (like multi feedings) and don't understand why, why not ask (or even better) listen when we try to explain? Please take the time to read the link below:

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Eric

ORIGINAL POST LINK:

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,6988.0.html

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: In regards to my recent "VENTING" session - take a look at this...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 04:14:44 pm »
Oh, Kelly! You need to run home and give Eric a big ol' sloppy kiss (with tongue, of course). How wonderful of him to step outside his comfort zone with his mom to defend you, your family, and your personal choices instead of just making excuses for them.

I think your mother-in-law should also be commended for realizing she hurt your feelings and was out of line and took a little bit of time to send an apology. I'm sure that's not easy for her, either. Hopefully, this situation will bring you all closer and lead to a better understanding of where you are coming from.

In regards to your Mom, I don't know what type of mental illness your mother is dealing with, but growing up my step-mom (my dad had custody of us so she was our full-time mom) was diagnosed as being bipolar. I went through some scary times with her from high school through college. She is still dealing with it, but seems to be better now that all the kids are gone and Dad is retired. If this is similar to what you are dealing with, I would be happy to have you lean on me, offer advice, or just be here for you as you vent and cry in frustration.

And, you know, if it gets to be too much I'd be more than happy to take Kate off your hands too  ;). I'm just in love with her more and more every time I see her pictures. I've started looking on Petfinder for Leonbergers.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 04:18:41 pm »
Girl that hubby of your is a keeper.  I just dont understand why anyone would think we should not love our fur-babies like our kids. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:36:25 pm »
I'm speechless! 

Eric is fantastic!  You are so lucky!  I am awed by your support of each other!

Congratulation s on making such a wise choice for a life partner!  You are brilliant!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 04:41:42 pm »
You really do have a great husband to respond so kindly to his mom yet firm enough to let her know your unwavering position. I am so glad the he is standing up for you and Kate. Way to go Eric!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:43:23 pm »
Wow good for him for sticking up for both of you. I know it is very hard to confront the people you love, especially your parents.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:04:36 pm »
I think it was good of his mom to apologize, but here's a big slobbery kiss  :-* from zoey to Eric for sticking up for his wife and fur-child
RIP former BPO

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 11:47:38 pm »
All of you are the most awesome people (and your dogs are the best too)!  Seriously though, you guys are my “support” in times like this.  I couldn’t really talk about this with any of my friends here, because they aren’t really “dog” people if you know what I mean…  You all are so special to me (and) I thank you VERY MUCH for all your encouragement…

I know, I am very lucky to have Eric.  He is a great guy, is my best friend (other than Kate of course!) and I know he will always be there for me – no matter what…Gees – why do you think I married him?  (Other than the fact he has a really cute butt)!  ;)

Jeanne – as soon as I got home I took your advice of giving Eric a big ol’ sloppy kiss (with tongue as suggested).  I licked his face for a few minutes afterwards too, until he swatted me off.  Mmwwwwwwwwwhhh hhhhaaaaaa!!!
YES – I agree (and totally am touched) that my MIL realized she had hurt our feelings and took the time to write the email.  It must have been a very hard thing to do, and both Eric & I appreciate it very much.
Thanks for lending my your shoulder too in regards to my Mom – I might just have to take advantage of that (at some point)!  My mom was diagnosed as both bipolar and manic depressive.  It is so sad, I can’t believe I’ve become her legal guardian.  I couldn’t imagine how hard it would be for a 64 yr old woman to be told her 28 yr old daughter is now in charge of her life.  OUCH.  But, I’d much rather it that way (even with all the stress it’s put on me) than have the government (Mental Health Board) declare where she should live; what she is/isn’t able to do (etc.) for the rest of her life.  Luckily, I have Eric to help me get through this (and) I know at some point things will get better.  Thanks for your support Jeanne (and) I’m glad to hear your stepmother is doing better – that is great!
OH – and no – you can’t have Kate.  Thanks for the nice comments about her though – I’ll be sure to let the “poop-eater” know she has a fan!  Ha ha!  Wouldn’t you like to deal with that I bet (poop-eating)?!  Other than that nasty habit though, she is a total sweetheart.  Best of luck with your search for a Leo – should you find one, I can vouch that you WON’T be disappointed!!!  Let me know how your search goes!  ;D

newflvr – thanks for the “brilliant” comment – I am very flattered!

Thanks for all of the “BPO stamps of approval” regarding Eric guys – I LOVE YOU ALL!  :-*

Shangrila – I licked Eric’s face for Zoey too…

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 01:39:07 am »
How awesome of man you have!!!...I've one a whole lot like that...Love him!...Love him alot! :)