Author Topic: Question about my little paws  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Question about my little paws
« on: September 21, 2005, 12:13:28 am »
I have a Jack Russell Terrier and he has a bit of an agression problem.  It has usually been a food agression issue, but lately (especially since bringing home Tonka) he seems a little territorial as well.  They play and they have a good time and then at certain points he just starts growling and seems grumpy.  Today was really bad, I went to the store and I bought all the boys some treats.  Not thinking it would really matter too much, I got Bogart and Remmy chicken sticks (rawhide) and I bought a large bone for Tonka.  This really seemed to tick Remmy off and when Tonka walked away from the bone (sidetracked)...Remmy took posession and was growling and showing his teeth.  I removed it and later gave it back to Tonka and this time Tonka just took the bone near Remmy and it insighted his aggression, and even though he did not have the bone he was still acting aggressive over just being near it.  This time he was growling and showing his teeth and then he began to tremble.  I finally took the bone away completely and just removed it.  I could google dog aggression and try for months different techniques to remedy this, BUT I would rather just know if anyone else  has dealt with this sort of thing and found any thing that worked.  It is 90% over food, I don't know if we are just starting to have territorial battles over my lap or why even his food agression seems to have intensified???
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Question about my little paws
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:53:20 am »
JR's are notorious for their near sightedness.
They do not know that they are small dogs and will challenge anyone!
You would be better off training your big dog to deal with the JR on its terms.
The JR, after all is a terrier, and has a heart larger than its body!
They are extremely high energy dogs, with a personality and attitude that demands attention and seeks dominance.
Good Luck.
JR's can fit into a family with other dogs, even big dogs, but it will be the boss!
JMO
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:17:54 pm »
Thanks Tulsa!  That actually kind of sparks another question regarding "establishing dominance"...one of my friends (and I love her, but she knows everything about everything there is to know! and I need to double check her advice lol ::)) told me that I need to establish my poodle as top dog (not to let this be decided between them) because I will be paying hefty vet bills once Tonka (dane) grows up.  Currently Remmy (JRT) is "alpha" (among the dogs, I am queen of the camp haha) and I don't know if he is just flexing his muscle for the newcomer, and I am just wondering if anyone thinks she is right....shoul d I disrupt the heirarchy of "the pack" or just let them figure it out?  There have been no fights just a few warning snaps and some growls...to which Tonka immediately submits and walks away.   ???  ???  ???
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:30:04 pm »
Hi,

I've been having the same problem with my smallest Papillon, Chicklet, and Binky the new Pyr pup.  Chicklet has never had any agression issues with our other pets or visiting dogs, but she is terrible to Binky.  Chicklet weighs 4lbs to Binky's 21, so I am afraid Binky will hurt Chicklet eventually.  Chicklet steals any toy Binky plays with and goes nuts if Binky tries to reclaim it.  So far Binky has been patient but Chicklet won't let her alone and constantly growls and snaps at her.  I have tried putting Chicklet in a room by herself to punish her for this, I have taken away toys, etc. but nothing works!  Glad I'm not the only one with this problem, but I hope someone has some advice for us!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:33:02 pm »
That is the cutest little furball!!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 12:46:29 pm »
Thanks-yours are cuties too!  They might be brats but gotta love them!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 12:56:02 pm »
Stacey.

Something that alot of people don't understand is that the dogs set the dog pack order.  Just because a dog has been there the longest doesn't mean that it's the Alpha, but people will always tell you to treat it as such.  Think of what an insult this is to the true Alpha dog, and that's where fights start.  Take a step back and look at the dogs, who goes to eat first?  Who walks through doors first or gets the choice toys? 

As for the vet bills........  Araby (My Alpha 30-35 pound english Setter bitch) and Hobo (70 pound Chinook) have never gone to the vet because of a dominance fight.  Sanity's gone multiple times.  In fact right now he's got a nice jagged gouge right between his eyes from one of these altrications.  (I'm really hoping that it heals totally.  If the hari grows in white he's gonna look like Harry Potter and I'm not ready for that kind of publicity!)  When dealing with a smaller dog, a Dane is IMMENSELY slow, their fur offers no protection, and honestly, I don't know of any households where a Dane is Alpha over the little dogs. 

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 02:43:05 pm »
Our Big Dogs are noble, observant, practical, and submissive to the smaller breeds.
A Jack Russel, by it's nature, is manic, inquisitive, tireless, and domineering.
After all, it is a terrier!
Can you imagine having a Newfoundland with a terrier personality?
Nightmare!!!
Although I have ranted about the small breeds aggresion toward our large dogs, I have to realize the differences in their personalities, and appreciate the restraint that our large dogs show to these 'ankle biters'.
Tulsa plays with the smaller dogs almost exclusively, not because they are less of a threat, but because they keep her on her toes, and their itty, bitty, tiny teeth, have a hard time penetrating her throat!
When she's had enough, she puts her foot down, right on the head of the small dog.
Game Over!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 04:26:50 pm »
Thank you!!  That is what I thought....it really made no sense to me to try to set the pecking order.  Tonka has up to this point fallen right into last place without so much as snip.  I have had dogs all my life and have never considered setting this up for them, just to let it happen naturally.  I have never had a vet bill due to a power struggle either (at most maybe a neosporin treatment) and I just wanted another point of view on this.  After all the friend that suggested this only has a cat!  Thank you guys....and Tulsa I cannot even picture your example of a giant dog with a terrier personality lol!  Remmy is about 10 lbs and I think really believes he is HUGE....unlike some owners in another thread I saw, I do not allow him to posture at other dogs in public and I have taught him excellent manners!   ;D
I am kind of a big deal!