Author Topic: Cooling Beds?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline MuttigreeMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Cooling Beds?
« on: August 09, 2005, 03:24:04 pm »
Hey everyone!

I've been looking into some of the neat cooling beds for Boo. Being that I live in Florida and Boo has a newfie coat (although, possibly a little thinner because of the heat down here), I was thinking that one of these beds might be really comfortable for him. But... I've never bought or used one. Has anyone tried these? Are they any good? Is there one brand thats better than another? He lives in an air conditioned house, but with hurricane season upon me, I want to be prepared in case I lose electricity.

The ones I'm talking about are the ones that look like regular dog beds but have either a foam or crystal layer in the middle that you fill with water. Supposedly the water reacts with the crystals/foam and keeps the bed cool no matter what the temperature.

Thanks  ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Cooling Beds?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 05:25:57 pm »
I don't have a cooling bed because I am afraid zoey will chew on it, but I have thought about getting her one.

If you look in the 'recommended reading' forum of this website, there are two threads about cooling beds.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 06:55:50 pm »
I had one for my first Newf and he loved it!  That was the good news.  The bad news is that he was just too heavy for it (150 lbs) and it popped!  Actually it was a leak in the seams....

Good news, I took it back to the pet store I bought it from and got my money back.  Bad news:  the carpet, carpet pad and our upholstered bed!  They had to be replaced! (They hold a couple of gallons of water!!)

I'm using the cool pads now from In the Company of Dogs  catalog (on line at www.inthecompa nyofdogs.com) and they are a gel that you soak in water and they stay cool for 4 - 5 days.  They are not as big as the cool pads...but I just them on the Newfie beds and they seem to be fine.

We live in Southern Calif. so we are in our really hot part of the year...until October!

Offline MuttigreeMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 07:01:01 pm »
I can't bring myself to order from In The Company of Dogs. They completely scr*wed me on an order I placed with them and haven't been able to bring myself to buy from them since. Every time I get one of their catalogs all I can think is "they have a lot of gall sending me this".

But it's good to know that they do really work. Boo is only 75lbs (I call him my Newf that got shrunk in the dryer ;D) so he might not pop it. But I'll definately check out the two threads in recommended reading.

Thanks!