Author Topic: Help needed from harness users, updated new pics  (Read 2769 times)

Offline gr8dame

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Help needed from harness users, updated new pics
« on: February 08, 2008, 05:25:02 am »
 ???
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:20:43 am by gr8dame »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Help needed from harness users
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:42:14 am »
the one i got for grace at petsmart is the same concept, but it has fuzzy sleeves that go under the arms. 

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:48 pm »
Harness? What harness???  I was too busy looking at her!!!  SOOOOOO cute!
I have had friends say great things about the harness made by the gentle leader company.  May want to look into it...

Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 08:10:55 pm »
Def need to go a size up and take the other back for a refund.  They should have realized when they sold it that you would need a bigger one!  They are always really good at taking back especially if your just trading.  I did the puppy classes with both Marley and Laney...Laneys was sooooo much fun because it was an all Lab puppy class..Her best friend was  a little black girl lab named Scout..They had so much fun and were actually the best in the class...but we always had to separate them.haha  They are still really good friends today as I am with her parents!  Great socialization though and lots of fun...Your girl is just precious!  I would want to love on her all the time if I was in your class!!

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 08:12:47 pm »
Oh ya...and Marleys class was fun but I felt sorry for him...He was in the puppy class with a Bichon, a Brussels griffon and two min-pins!  and at 10 wks Marley weighed 30lbs...but him and the brussels named Gala were best friends!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:09:22 pm »
Ditto that the harness is too small and needs to be pink.  Our blue dog looks very nice in her flourescent pink collar and leash.  There is a brand, the name escapes me, that will replace a harness if it gets chewed.  Foster and Smith sells them and they are a great investment for puppy owners. 

Double check with the management where you are doing the lessons.  The big box store here doesn't allow anyone under 18 in the training area and only the person who signed the contract gets near the dogs.  You could say something like, "Who is liable if my dog is injured by one of those kids?"
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 06:55:49 am »
Stella,
You are SO funny!!!  I totally agree about the kids and families in classes...COME ON!!!
We took Kana to a 'special' school...OK, it's equivalent to a puppy 'alternative school'. ;)  It's kinda far from you (Naperville) but it was awesome!  Very controled and strict rules about who comes to class and who holds the lead/power with the dog.  It's called NARNIA pet behavior training.  Heard of it??  We loved it.  Maybe when your Cattie gets older and has outgrown the others in teh Petsmart classes...they do a lot with unusual breeds too.  They have a big heart for those with BP's!!
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed from harness users, updated new pics
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:33:01 am »
Priceless pics...the pink is very DIVA!
       10 y/o American Akita

lookingfornewf

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 09:43:24 am »
You definately have the cutest kid in the class. We are doing Petsmart classes too really just for the socialization. When I take Clifford for walks in the neighborhood it is so cold out we don't see too many other people or dogs. I have already taught him sit, stay, down, etc. so I thought it was very strange not to say sit until he had already done it.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:47:02 pm »
Too cute!!!  Go back for the decorated set and get one in large for our Wally.  :)

Do you know what type of mastiff those are?  They look like my Italian Mastiff, Zita.

The reason the trainer tells the class to say the command with or just after the behavior is that connects the action with the word in the dogs' brain.  The potty command is a good example.  If someone says Go Potty before the dog goes, there is nothing to associate.  No action, no reward, just meaningless babble from the owner toward the dog.

If the desired action occurs with the command and the reward, it all connects way faster.  There is some fancy dog psychology word for that...

I'd snug the harness a bit tighter.  A pup that slender tends to walk backwards out of harnesses.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua