Author Topic: Riley is a bit too much of a man  (Read 2820 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Riley is a bit too much of a man
« on: January 11, 2007, 03:59:10 pm »
You might remember that Riley started to pee on three legs a couple of months ago. Well, actually, he tried it twice in one day sometime in Sept or Oct, then decided it was too much work, so he peed with one leg thrown back so he could still aim but stand on all fours.

Then Wheaton visited in November and took to marking pretty much everything outside and on the trails we visit, and Riley decided that he wanted to mark stuff, too.

Then we had Drama for a few weeks, and I couldn't figure out why, when she would have accidents, there would be a funny trail through them. I thought maybe she was moving while peeing, then it hit me-Riley was marking her accidents.

So on New Year's eve, two of my friends came over so that we could head out to a party. They have two dogs, one of whom was a foster of mine (a newfie-I posted pics here back then). Riley walked up to Jill and peed on her feet. Yes, he marked my friend. He then walked up to her fiance, Jourdan, and tried to pee on him (he missed and hit the carpet). What the heck?! Why? He knows these people. I guess it's b/c they smelled like their dogs (who he knows), but then, he doesn't pee on any other dog owners who come to the house.

Since then, he's only peed on things, not people, but it's all kinds of things-outside only, though, thank goodness. He seems to really like to mark funny shaped weeds for some reason. Thankfully, my friends were very understanding!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:02:03 pm by macybean »

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Re: Riley is a bit too much of a man
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:27:16 pm »
Our male Rott mix doesn't even move.  He just lets it all hang loose and stands there, whizzing on whatever ground happens to be underneath him.

We used to have a bird dog that was so lazy he'd lean up against anything firmly planted in the ground just before lifting his leg to expel the least amount of effort possible.  Quite clever, if you ask me.

Besides - if women had water hoses to pee from, they'd be lazy about it too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:28:09 pm by TannerW »

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:37:51 pm »
OH NO!!  LOL  I'm sorry but it's funny, wizzin' on peoples feet!  hehehee  That's actually something I worried about with Koby but he never did anything like that. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:44:28 pm »
Well, Riley's only a year old, right? So, it's probably just an adolescent phase. Rocko did that once - we were at a pictures with your pet event for the Humane Society and Rocko was excited with the other dogs and people there and, for some reason, decided to pee on Johann. He'd never done that before - or since.

I am guessing that Riley is just testing his limits and, as long as you keep correcting him and keep your sanity about you he will grow out of it soon.

Good luck!! The good news is you're not alone.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:15:57 pm »
I think Falkor is starting this as well although he isn't lifting his leg yet.

All of a sudden about a month ago he decided after dinner,and they all eat in the kitchen,once everyone is done.Falkor will go over to Emma dinner bowl and pee on the floor.

I''ve only caught him once,and it was weird cause he didn't even squat he just dropped pee on the floor.

I gave him a akk* sound and put him out and cleaned it up.
But he still does it on occasion and I have no idea what's up with that.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:41:07 pm »
that sounds more like a bladder infection or kidney infection to me - since he just drops it. I'd check that out with the vet if I were you
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain