Author Topic: What traits do you like most/least about Newfoundland's?  (Read 14645 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: What traits do you like most/least about Newfoundland's?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 07:13:19 pm »
Some of you guys obviously missed my point.  To me, his whole "talking the person out of getting a Newf" just reeks of Breeder/Dog Shower/I-know-more-than-you snottyness, which we encountered way too much when we were researching Newfs before we got Drake.  It's very condescending and annoying at best.  Why don't you just tell the person that they're not good enough or smart enough to raise a Newf?  I understand that people need to know as much about a breed as possible, but there's informing someone and then there's talking down to someone.  With the availability of info out there, most people probably educate themselves about a breed before they check out breeders.  I really doubt there's many people who see a picture of a Newf, fall in love and make a bee line for the nearest breeder with cash in their hand.  I guess I just disagree with your methods,  No offense.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 07:20:47 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 07:33:24 pm »
With the availability of info out there, most people probably educate themselves about a breed before they check out breeders.  I really doubt there's many people who see a picture of a Newf, fall in love and make a bee line for the nearest breeder with cash in their hand.  I guess I just disagree with your methods,  No offense.

I know that the Newf isn't my breed.  But I just read this and wanted to say something.  My boy is a rescue dog.  He's from a woman who decided to breed, bought two dogs on limited registration from good breeders, falsified neutering certificates on both, and bred them for money.  She ended up with 21 puppies that were locked in a shed the first 11 weeks of their lives, save 2 that were pitied by some passerbys and bought at 8 weeks.  These dogs had no human contact, they were sick, and their mother's face was infected and falling off.  This is how my Sanity came to me.  I am not a Breeder/Dog Shower/I-know-more-than-you snotty type.

Ryan, I know you and I have had our differences, and I do NOT want you to think that's what this is about in any way, shape, or form.  I just want to know if you've ever worked in Newf Rescue.  I know that in Dane rescue, all the things you said that you doubted happened DO happen and with alarming frequency.  People have NO idea what they're getting into, and they have NO idea where to get a GOOD ETHICAL breeder.  If you're an average Joe, you don't go looking for a show or a working breeder.  You don't want a show dog you want a pet dog, and as such go to a pet breeder. 

I'm on a list for Dane rescue in New England (where people on are Dane lists a mile long but that's another story) and some one asked if we had any of those Netflix dogs.  But they wanted a puppy.  They didn't want to listen to a word I said.  I tried I really did, but they had set in their mind that they wanted a "Netflix" dog, and if I wasn't gonna help them, they wanted nothing to do with me.  They DON'T educate themselves.  Look at what happened to Dalmations after Disney released their movie!  The back yard breeders and puppy millers could barely keep up with the demand, and then 6 months later the dogs come pouring into rescue. 

When you deal with stuff like this on a daily basis it's VERY easy to become cynical.  When someone asks you about your dog and all they say is "D@mn, I'd like me a big @ss dog like that!" of course you aren't going to spout the praises of your breed.   If someone STILL wants a dog after all that, then maybe they're worthy.  Like I said, I'm not an elitist of any kind, but I do love my dogs, and I want whats best for all of them.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 08:08:36 pm »
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, just sharing my own personal experience...

There are PLENTY of people out there that see a picture of a dog, or see a dog in a movie and then want a dog "just like that".  I saw tons of people like this when I worked as an obedience trainer.  It occurred with dogs of all different breeds. 

They see the movie "Beethoven" and want a cool dog like that.  They have some idea that the dog will get big, but not that it will cause puddles of drinking water to flood the kitchen floor, sling drool onto the ceiling, and knock the kids over without meaning to.  Since they generally got the dog from a pet store, (95% of the puppies in our puppy class came from one particular pet store...), no one bothered to tell them about these things.  At the time I taught, Jack Russell Terriers were especially popular, because people were seeing them on Frasier.   

The people that made it to the obedience classes were at least the ones that were trying to do their best, even when they admitted they had not gotten what they bargained for, whatever the breed.  I heard plenty of stories of "Oh, my brother used to have one of those (insert whatever breed here), but he had to get rid of it..." 

In my volunteer work with mobile pet adoption, I saw so many people that you wouldn't believe try to adopt a dog on an impulse, especially the puppies.  People would actually say things like "Oh, they are so cute.  We should get a puppy today.", with no foresight whatsoever into the matter.  They would be angry when we told them that the ENTIRE family had to be present, or that we would be calling their landlord to see if it was ok, or even that they had to fill out an application...  It would just break my heart to see the casualness with which people would make such a big decision...

Again, this isn't to offer an opinion on what people should or shouldn't be told when they are interested in a particular breed.  I certainly don't agree with any kind of attitude that seems to convey "I know more than you do", or is condesending when a person who is wise enough to seek out a reputable breeder or rescue makes an inquiry.  And I do think that folks need to know about the "warts" of any particular breed...

This is just to say that, in my personal opinion, there are lots of folks out there who don't do their research, have no clue what they are getting into, and treat the decision to bring home a pet with no more consideration than they use choosing a pack of gum at the supermarket...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 08:10:29 pm »
I totally hear you Anky.  Can you at least agree that there's a lot of condescending attitudes in the breeder world?  It's really annoying and I'm tired of it, that's all.   After going to the Newfoundland Specialty and the snotty attitudes I saw there, I don't think I want to have any part of that again.  I am equally appalled and saddened by the horror stories I hear about animals being abused and neglected, but those stories don't give breeders a license to treat everyone who wants to buy their dogs, or people who just want pets not show dogs, like bumbling idiots.  So I will concede on this one, I'm outnumbered.  What do I know?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 08:13:53 pm by Newf Lover »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 08:13:57 pm »
You know that you adore Drake and are giving him the very best life possible.  And that's just was is so offensive about breeders/rescue groups/etc being condescending to those people who have educated themselves and are ready to open their hearts, minds and wallets to the giants...come whatever may.  And these people are the ones who populate BPO.  There are just too many of the impulsive idiots that give the rest of us the reputation of uneducated goobers!!! ;)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:38 pm »
Ok Ok folks...this has gotten way off topic! The question is simply what do you like most/least about your dog. Some people might not make great owners but that is not for you to decide or argue about with this topic. Let's stick to the topic and not be so combative shall we.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 09:17:07 pm »
Can you at least agree that there's a lot of condescending attitudes in the breeder world?

I think that may be one of the drawbacks to certain breeds, because I'ven encountered some of that in my research process--and I'm nowhere near making a firm decision on a breed yet, much less committing to the acutal dog.  Certainly snotty breeders who make people who aren't interested in 'showing' or 'finishing' or 'titling' feel like useless parasitic lumps are a big drawback when you're trying to figure out who you're going to share the next 10 years of your life with!  I imagine it's like having a horrible in-law!

I hadn't run across a snotty newf breeder myself, but it's too bad that they're out there.

HEY!  Now I'm warned!  That's what I was talking about!  :-*

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 10:22:32 pm »
You are right, nodog!  I've spoken to lots of Newf breeders before we got Chester (maybe 20??) and they were all wonderful.  The only time I've encountered nasty ones were at shows...and maybe it's just because I didn't know/don't know the show etiquette??  I wanted to talk to them about the breed and they were NOT interested in talking to someone who was not educated.  Maybe it's different with other breeds or maybe it's just during shows that they were testy.  But of all the breeders I spoke to, only one was nasty!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 02:58:03 pm »
Ok Ok folks...this has gotten way off topic! The question is simply what do you like most/least about your dog. Some people might not make great owners but that is not for you to decide or argue about with this topic. Let's stick to the topic and not be so combative shall we.  ;)

Sorry, you're right Jaime.  Some people's statements just set me off sometimes and I get riled up.  To each his/her own and I'll try to stay on topic in the future.  I'll just finish by saying that most breeders are pretty nice.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:53:58 pm by Newf Lover »

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2006, 02:48:13 pm »
I know it has been a while but I thought that you should know that after much RESEARCH and review my friend has indeed decided on a Newf! I think they will do well togther. Thanks for all your opinions.

Matthew

Offline wrknnwfs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2006, 04:38:26 pm »
One of the best ways for your friend to find out about Newfs is to attend an event put on by the nearest regional Newf club. Going to shows is great when you are looking to meet breeders but hitting the Newf club events is the way to really see the dogs up close and personal and to meet people who will have time to talk to you and let you hang with their dogs.

A great event to attend is a Water Test. If your friend is interested in a big water dog, this is the place to go.

Jane, Hugo, Piper...
and Yogi (waiting just beyond)
Heart of America Newfoundland Club
http://www.hanc.net
Lickskillet Dog Training
http://www.lickskilletdogtraining.com

Offline Kellan

• Gnawer
  • Msut love dogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2006, 04:54:30 pm »
I love that from the time we rescued Murrie (who was 1 at the time) from a puppy mil, she was gentle and watchful of our girls. We love that she is just another one of our babies. She is so smart, and funny even when she's in trouble, she gets the saddiest look and layes down to look pathic. But she is a master escape artist form the outside kennel. That drives us nuts.  :D