Author Topic: Mayor of New Orleans has stopped animal rescue  (Read 4951 times)

Offline suzanne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • raised dog feeder
Mayor of New Orleans has stopped animal rescue
« on: September 08, 2005, 06:18:57 pm »
The below message was just sent out to everyone in my national Great Pyrenees rescue group.   ...Appalling!!!!   Please sign the petition and forward the info to all animals lovers  that you know.   Thank-you!!!!
     Suzanne Phillips
     Northeast Pyr Rescue
     Rochester, NY

> Mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans has stopped all animal rescue now
> that mandatory evacuation have begun. Please sign this petition, and
> forward it to anyone you can to sign, to make sure animals are
> included. Animals can survive on this water, but they are going to
> starve to death and the contaminated water will shortly start to
> kill them. Many are chained and cannot get food.
>
> Please sign the petition,
>
> http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/840979272?ltl=1126071044
>
Suzanne, Sophia (5 yr. old Pyr) and Riggs (10 month old Newf)

www.raiseddogf eeder.com

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor of New Orleans has stopped animal rescue
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 06:43:42 pm »
oh Ihated to even open this thread and read it!!!...Please can we just get everyone out including the pets!?!?!?!?  How awful..not sure I can really take much more it is just making  me sick...

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:48:18 pm »
oh Ihated to even open this thread and read it!!!...Please can we just get everyone out including the pets!?!?!?!?  How awful..not sure I can really take much more it is just making  me sick...
I see nowhere here that says the mayor ordered animal rescue stopped...Wher e are you getting this info.?...This was the article on the petition site.
New Orleans, LA, Sept. 6, 2005

Mayor orders forced removal of all in city

Mayor Nagin today released a declaration of Emergency Order for the City of New Orleans. The declaration reads as follows:

Whereas, the presence of individuals not specifically engaged by the City, State or U.S. Government to assist in the remediation and recovery effort would distract, impede, or divert essential resources from the recover effort.

Now, therefore, I as the Mayor of the City of New Orleans, pursuant to the authority granted by Louisiana Revised Statutes 29:727 and: 730.2, do hereby promulgate and issue the following mandatory evacuation order, which shall supercede the Order issued by me on August 28, 2005, which shall remain in effect for thirty days from this date, unless extended by my order or earlier terminated by my order:

Civil District Court District Court for the Parish of Orleans, State of Louisiana City of New Orleans

Promulgation of Emergency Order

Whereas, Hurricane Katrina has caused catastrophic damage to the City of New Orleans, including, without limitation, several breaches in the levee system, loss of power and water service and the collapse and or loss of structural integrity of roadways, building and other structures;

Whereas, the above referenced damage necessitates an immediate and unimpeded recovery effort by the City, the State of Louisiana and the Untied States Government;

Effective immediately, any public safety officer within the boundaries of the Parish of Orleans, including, without limitation, members of the New Orleans, including, without limitation, members of the New Orleans Police Department, the New Orleans Fire Department, the National Guard and any branch of the U.S. Military, is hereby instructed and authorized to compel the evacuation of all persons from the City of New Orleans, regardless of whether such persons are on private property or do not desire to leave, unless such persons are determined by such public safety officers to be specifically engaged by the City, the State or the U. S. Government in providing assistance in the remediation and recovery effort.

Those persons who are currently located in Algiers on the West Bank side of Orleans Parish are hereby excepted from this Order.

The City Attorney is hereby directed to file this Order with the Clerk of Court.

Mayor C. Ray Nagin

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 06:54:58 pm »
Gyp - I hope it is not true.  I don't see it anywhere either.  I did just hear on Nancy Grace that the pets were now also be ing evacuated with their people.  I guess they stated that a lot of people were not evacuating because previously they were not able to bring the animals.  I just hope everyone is allowed to get out eeven the furry people

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 06:57:31 pm »
Gyp - I hope it is not true.  I don't see it anywhere either.  I did just hear on Nancy Grace that the pets were now also be ing evacuated with their people.  I guess they stated that a lot of people were not evacuating because previously they were not able to bring the animals.  I just hope everyone is allowed to get out eeven the furry people
The problem here is people that take everything they read on the internet as the truth...There is enough emotion running wild right now because of the victim of Katrina both furry & skin...I wish people would check sources before they become post happy.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 06:59:12 pm »
well  i agree cause I am a mess about all of this.  Not sleeping well and just feel worried...

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 07:40:07 pm »
As far as I can tell from the local (Mobile) and national news, pet rescues are going strong all along the coast!  They had segments on NBC nightly news and WPMI (local) news about pets being rescued in New Orleans. From a personal perspective, a friend (and the person I lease my horse from) went to Waveland, MS with her group to rescue abandoned pets with the blessing of local authorities.  Hopefully they are going to make a return trip on the weekend when I can join in.  So, I would not put a lot of faith in hearing that Ray Nagin has blocked these rescues. If nothing else, it seems to becoming the bright spot in the news of all of this and the pictures in the segments are heart-rending.
Tom, Feste's 'papa
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 07:43:39 pm »
As far as I can tell from the local (Mobile) and national news, pet rescues are going strong all along the coast!  They had segments on NBC nightly news and WPMI (local) news about pets being rescued in New Orleans. From a personal perspective, a friend (and the person I lease my horse from) went to Waveland, MS with her group to rescue abandoned pets with the blessing of local authorities.  Hopefully they are going to make a return trip on the weekend when I can join in.  So, I would not put a lot of faith in hearing that Ray Nagin has blocked these rescues. If nothing else, it seems to becoming the bright spot in the news of all of this and the pictures in the segments are heart-rending.
Tom, Feste's 'papa
I just saw on the news tonight again about the ongoing animal rescue & the people who will not leave without their pets...If I was there with my husband & he was able to take my children out there is no way I would leave my fur babies behind.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 09:49:24 pm »
No way I'd ever leave without mine either.  People harrass me about my permanent and consistent refusal to even consider evacuation, but honestly, where would I go with a combined 280 and growing lbs of dogs and 2 cats with bad attitudes.  Then there are there the chickens... lol  my family and friends love me, but I'm not sure evem I'd open the door to me and the menagerie - lol.
Tom, Feste's 'papa'

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 08:29:37 am »
Im so glad animal rescues are ongoing.  I was so worried....
I wouldn't leave my furbabies either...my kids are old enough to make a decision on whether wanted to go or stay..my so could get my daughter out but she wouldn't leave the furbabie behind either.  Although, my son  might  leave them...lol

love the pic

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 08:41:27 am »
Of all the things these people lost their pets have been the one thing that make them happy to find.  I've seen the news showing reunions and seen the tears and the joy.  And these pets want to be rescued too.  I certainly hope someone ... and I'm sure there is someone ... still searching for these big hearted lovable survivors. 
I'd stay with my dogs if I couldn't get out with them. 

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 07:09:54 pm »
where would I go with a combined 280 and growing lbs of dogs and 2 cats with bad attitudes

You're welcome to come here (although who goes to Florida to avoid a hurricane?!).  Some friends from Jax stayed here during an evacuation once with their six dogs (three of them great danes), two cats, ten snakes (two of them huge pythons), and who knows what else (they had a total of 39 animals with them).  They stayed with us for three or four days, and it was great!

And, I have more than 280 lbs of dog in my bed right now!  ;D

Thanks   :) LaurelG... I just wanted to take a moment and post thel latest I read earlier this afternoon....   The military is now taking animal cages with them on their evacuation and rescue runs... so that they can bring pets with their people.  Seems Gen. Honore, who's running the show has ordered it. 
Here's a quote off the AOL news:  "In a shift, the military began providing cages to homeowners to allow them to evacuate with their pets. "We got the capacity, and it seemed like the right thing to do," said Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore."  So the cheers for General Honore!

Also here is a link to an article on CNN.com detailing the pet rescues going on in New Orleans since the storm:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/08/pet.rescue/index.html

Tom, Feste's 'papa'

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 09:29:41 pm »
I am so happy that the pets get to be saved!!!!  yeh!!!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 10:50:26 pm »
On our news here tonight, a giant black dog jumped off the porch and saved a man from downing.  The newscaster said once the guy was safe, he turned around and climbed back on the porch.  The dog was picked up by the Humane Society and there was a rush to adopt him.  Wonder what happened to his people???  Didn't say.....

......but could it have been a Newfie????? ;D