Author Topic: I finally got one!!  (Read 4394 times)

lorim2

I finally got one!!
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:27:38 am »
I have always wanted a Cockatoo and finally yesterday it happened!  Believe it or not I was surfing on Craigslist and found a Goffin posted for a very minimal rehomeing fee.  Of course I thought it was probably a hoax but come to find out it was legit. A family that truly loved him but had just moved here and they were renters.  They had already paid 1000.00 dep for their two dogs and the landlord wouldnt let them have Bruno.  Sad for them but great for me! She chose me out of a list of about 100 ppl. She had over 100 calls the first hour. So last night me and my daughter drove the 40 miles and picked him up.  He is precious and what a talker. The ppl were great and the lady was standing on the deck with tears running down her face when I pulled out.  Plus side, they will be living so close to us and I told her she could visit anytime.  Bad side, coming home I was talking to Bruno and kind of just slid through a red light and was pulled over..haha  Icouldnt believe I did that and just apologized and showed the cop Bruno...He was actually nice and loved the bird and didnt give me a ticket....Firs t pic and I will post more later...

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: I finally got one!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:54:33 am »
He's a handsome fellow!!  You owe him now, he got you out of  a ticket...lol!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:12:28 am »
What a beautiful bird! Congratulation s!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59:45 am »
Beautiful bird ! I was naughty and got an Umbrella Cockatoo a little over a month ago from hoobly.com . hehehe I got a great deal too , plus a giant cage and all accessories with him . Have ALWAYS wanted a 'too and now I have my baby Ringo  :)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 12:20:30 pm »
Bruno is your good luck charm!! Can't wait to see more pictures.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:34:57 pm »
I love cockatoos.  congrats on your new addition!
goffins are a great species.  I would love to get a 'too someday.

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »
Congrats on your new baby too. He sounds like a sweet one.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 12:31:40 am »
Congratulation s!!!! You are never going to be the same now,birds are like potatoe chips,you can't have just one ;D Besides Butt and Tub I have 24 birds and I'm waiting to pick up two more to add to the family.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 12:42:13 am »
Grats on your new fid! He's precious!! Like Michelle said, birds are like potatoe chips so watch out LOL. I got my first macaw 11 years ago and now I have 11. No where NEAR Michelle's house, but I have three macaws (two blue and golds and a greenwing) 6 lovebirds, a sun conure and as of Monday, a quaker :D

Michelle, are you out in the country, or do your neighbors just get together and plot murder?

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

lorim2

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 05:47:53 am »
Well I have a little bird experience.  We have a green cheek, Trevor, that we have had since he was a baby.  We also have a Ringneck, Nevill.  This is my first "big bird"!  haha I am so glad to know there will be a wealth of help out here with all the birds you guys have.  Bruno is doing very well.  Hes already coming out of the cage. He wont step up yet, but feel very fortunate that hes already coming out.  Hes also talking a blue streak!  His fav sayings are "Come here, come here and give me a kiss, lets get down, and buda buda"  I think hes gonna be fine and so much fun!  Thanks for all the kind comments and I will get pics this weekend!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 07:11:05 am »
How cool.  Birds can be so fun.  Will it talk?  I'm not too familiar with Cockatoos.   I had a parakeet once that barked because the dog taught it to bark
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:11:30 am by Lin »

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:27:43 am »
Grats on your new fid! He's precious!! Like Michelle said, birds are like potatoe chips so watch out LOL. I got my first macaw 11 years ago and now I have 11. No where NEAR Michelle's house, but I have three macaws (two blue and golds and a greenwing) 6 lovebirds, a sun conure and as of Monday, a quaker :D

Michelle, are you out in the country, or do your neighbors just get together and plot murder?

I do live out in the country,so luckily they can make all the noise they want too.Heck I'm even a landmark: One day  my Uncle was talking to someone and they were giving him directions for a place near me and they said "when you get to the bird ladies house turn right" he started laughing and told them I was his neice.In the summer when the windows are open we always have people stoppinng in the road to listen to them.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie