Author Topic: Keeping the psycho in check  (Read 8423 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Keeping the psycho in check
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:12:22 pm »
Ok, I am one day into Bava's recovery at home, 1 day!  I stayed home from work to be with him, and he has been a super good dog all day... Until tonight.  He's acting pissy toward the cats for some reason.  I take him outside on leash to piddle, he does his business, meanders and then lays down.  We've been through this many times before, usually if I can manage to get my hands under him and get him on his feet I can lead him back in.  That is unless he pulls a crazy-legs move on me.  He rolls on his back kicks his feet, and mouths, I usually take a paw to the face but I can usually man-handle him enough to get him back up and going.

Here's the problem, He's hurt, I can't do that, I can't let him jump around, etc. And usually me getting him up when he is crazy like this he takes as an invitation to be crazy and have the zoomies.   I'm trying to be really really careful of that leg he just had surgery on, on Monday.  So I sit down in front of him and turn my back to wait him out.  I find a stick and act like I am playing with it.  15-20 minutes later he gets up and bounces... Arrrrgh, no. I grab him by his collar, but his disposition seems "stiff" like he could unwind like a spring at any minute and start running circles around me w/ the zoomies, etc... And kinda agressive , it's like he has chosen this time of all times to test boundaries. 
I lead him back into his crate and he looks kinda pissed, which is really odd, I don't recall him ever acting pissed.  I give him a bully stick which he refuses, thats VERY odd.  He has never not wanted a bully stick. 

I don't know if this is because he is feeling better, or if it is because he doesn't feel good, or if it is some side effect of some of the medicine he's on.  One thing I do know is I can not man-handle my hurt little man right now to get him to do what is good for him. 

Any ideas? This is weird. I think this could be a very long 3-4 weeks. ???
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:15:46 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping the psycho in check
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:19:19 pm »
Do regular treats work on him?  They may help you get him up, or if you lay flat out on the ground ten ft away and don't move...Kali gets concerned and comes to see if you're ok (but we mainly use that method when she forgets her name).  What about a Kong stuffed with goodies in his crate to help with the boredom?
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:29:40 pm »
He got lots of new toys and a new kind of bone looking kong today stuffed with goodies, he worked on that thing for a long time. We spent way too much on bava toys this weekend :)
I unfortunately did not have any treats on me when this happened earlier, it was me and him outside.  I was stuck! :-\  I know bad parent for not always having a pocket full of kibble, but I just figured it would be our usualy quick pee and poop in the bushes and back in.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:30:10 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 07:47:31 am »
Oh, this is going to be a long three weeks for you.  I am sure he will be back to "Your Bava" in no time.  Let me know if you need some of that Solid Gold Pet Calm ::)

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 08:04:15 am »
Maybe he thinks he is being punished.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 08:12:58 am »
Ok, I am one day into Bava's recovery at home, 1 day!  I stayed home from work to be with him, and he has been a super good dog all day... Until tonight.  He's acting pissy toward the cats for some reason.  I take him outside on leash to piddle, he does his business, meanders and then lays down.  We've been through this many times before, usually if I can manage to get my hands under him and get him on his feet I can lead him back in.  That is unless he pulls a crazy-legs move on me.  He rolls on his back kicks his feet, and mouths, I usually take a paw to the face but I can usually man-handle him enough to get him back up and going.

Here's the problem, He's hurt, I can't do that, I can't let him jump around, etc. And usually me getting him up when he is crazy like this he takes as an invitation to be crazy and have the zoomies.   I'm trying to be really really careful of that leg he just had surgery on, on Monday.  So I sit down in front of him and turn my back to wait him out.  I find a stick and act like I am playing with it.  15-20 minutes later he gets up and bounces... Arrrrgh, no. I grab him by his collar, but his disposition seems "stiff" like he could unwind like a spring at any minute and start running circles around me w/ the zoomies, etc... And kinda agressive , it's like he has chosen this time of all times to test boundaries. 
I lead him back into his crate and he looks kinda pissed, which is really odd, I don't recall him ever acting pissed.  I give him a bully stick which he refuses, thats VERY odd.  He has never not wanted a bully stick. 

I don't know if this is because he is feeling better, or if it is because he doesn't feel good, or if it is some side effect of some of the medicine he's on.  One thing I do know is I can not man-handle my hurt little man right now to get him to do what is good for him. 

Any ideas? This is weird. I think this could be a very long 3-4 weeks. ???

Awwww poor you! I know how stressful it is trying to keep them quiet when they DON'T want to. My Golden had TPLO surgery and he did the same thing. He was totally out of it the first day he was home and we were like, this is easy! Till the next day when he felt better. What worked really well for us was using treats to get him to heel when we took him out to potty. Helped us to get him to move slowly. It's probably just that his leg has been sore for awhile and all of a sudden it probably feels a million times better. Treats will probably help alot.

Don't worry too much about him acting pissy. He's probably just all out of whack from the week he's had. He'll be back to himself in no time.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 08:14:23 am »
I got to thinking about this more last night, and I am pretty sure that it is a case of him being a teenager who is pouting or mad because he is not getting his way, so he was miffed.
"I want to play!! Why can't I play?? You never let me play! I hate you.." etc , just like a human kid.  Maybe I am reading too much into it, but thats what it seemed like looking back.

Well at least he is in good spirits :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 09:04:09 am »
Have you tried using a towel as under his belly to control him when you take him out?  When Otis had his hip replacement surgery, I had to do that for a month before he was allowed full weight on his rear end.  Most vets have towels with handles sewn on both ends so it makes a sling.  If he lies down with the the sling, at least you have a way to attempt to get him back on his feet... :P

I totally understand trying to manage this....it is SOOO hard.  A big HUGE marrow bone could keep him occupied for a long time!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 10:49:00 am »
I think it's great that he's feeling SOO good!  Even though it's a pain in the patooties to control him, this is the happy kind of p.i.t.p!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 10:53:40 am »
Nope....but it sounds good!!

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 01:17:56 pm »
Anyone ever hear of this???

Yes, but only the kitty version. I've used it MANY times. Whenever anyone has had surgery (which has been a lot around here lately) and when I introduced Maggie to Gus and Sadie to both kitties. I don't know why it works, but it really did for us. They handled everything like superstars. Nobody ever hissed at a newcomer and everyone was really calm and relaxed. The only time I found it didn't work was this last time Gus had surgery. Maggie was so beside herself that I could have dunked her in the stuff and it wouldn't have made a difference. Don't know how the doggie one works, but the kitty stuff has been a blessing for me and my kids.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 01:23:59 pm »
That looks great, I may have to try one out. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 01:26:15 pm »
Do they have a human version I could strategically place around the office?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 02:49:58 pm »
Poor Bava. If it makes you feel any better, when Bear wants to be a brat he does the fake "I have to drink water" act and then proceeds to lay down outside as quickly as he can. Once down if you try to move him he rolls on his side and acts dead. Moving his 155 lb. body is not an option so I tell him he's a bad boy and in a few minutes he is inside. I should mention though, that once he enters the inside he throws his body to the ground refuses to look at anyone. Attitude- yes! Drama king- yes! Funny- yes!  ;D Good luck with Bava. I hope things work out with him once he realizes that you are just trying to keep him safe.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 02:54:12 pm »
when fumble used to do that i would let go of his leash and walk back in the house and say "bye, maybe i'll see ya later" or something that effect (i did it so much that i had to change it up) and then he would come after, for fear of being outside alone.  now he got used to that and then would look at me like "i know what you're doing" so i eventually had to peek out the window so he couldn't see me and shut the door! 
good luck though! and i hope that bava feels better! fumble sends a slurp!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!