Author Topic: need help with pulling on leash  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
need help with pulling on leash
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:02:12 am »
I looked in the dog training thread and can't see any old posts on how to stop pulling on the leash so I am creating one.

Kentucky pulls so bad when on her leash that she literally is walking on just her back legs much of the time. My legs and back are so sore today from trying to hold onto her.

Please! Can anyone offer any advice?

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: need help with pulling on leash
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:02:48 am »
what kind of dog is kentucky?  halti leads / gentle leaders work great for big paws, we've had good luck with the anti pull harness they sell at wal-mart on caine who is low to the ground but heavy and strong.  also, you can try randomly changing directions on walks so that kentucky learns that he / she HAS to pay attention to you ALL the time.  also, we had great luck with the "loose leash" command, and stopping our walk until they stop pulling.  eventually they figure out pull = not going anywhere, then we introduce the "loose leash" command, where if the leash starts to lose even a little slack in it we say loose leash and they look and slow down.  that one takes a lot of patience, but works great in the long run!  good luck, keep us updated!  i'm sure lots of others will have advice too!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:16:18 pm »
Kentucky is a lab mix Aaron and I recently found. I put an ad in the paper, but no one claimed her and I just don't have the heart to take her to the high-kill shelter where labs and lab mixes are a dime a dozen.

I did buy an anti-pull harness from PetSmart, but haven't tried it on her yet.

I love your "loose leash" idea. I'm definitely going to try that.

Any other ideas?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:20:45 pm »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:22:26 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 12:44:56 pm »
Cool! That's the same harness I just bought. Glad to know it works for someone whose opinion I respect! I can't wait to try it now.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:59:35 pm »
you love me!  ha ha ha, caine is really a pig on a leash.  he gets down on the ground and "low crawls" so he gets more power, but this uses pressure on his arm pits and he won't do it ha ha.  after one swift pull to the harness he usually straightens out.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Ma-Is-Pa

• Gnawer
  • Fal-o-Fluff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 01:07:34 am »
That is my method of choice as well.  They also have little prong covers for the squeamish.  It's more of a pressure type of thing anyway I believe..parti cularly for heavy coated breeds.  I've never heard a yipe from a dog in a training collar before.  Just make sure you don't keep it tight all the time..letting him pull you with it.  It's more of a quick snap then release kind of correction. If you hold the leash close to the collar about 3 inches or so from the snap and drop your hand, it makes it easier to give the very slight snap required without it feeling awkward.  It usually just takes one round with corrections.  After that you have them under enough control to begin teaching the loose lead command..or heel.  Be sure to attach a command before you stop using it though, because the second they realize it's a normal collar,  they revert to pulling.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:12:56 am by Ma-Is-Pa »
~Kitty Kat and..
Maxie Mouse!
Isa Piecy!
Payla Roo!

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:40:41 am »
With Dudley and also with Cosmo, we did something along the loose leash thing. It takes a TON of patience though. When they start pulling, just stop. Stand there until they stop and then immediately start walking. Stop as soon as they pull. It takes AWHILE, but eventually they learn that they have to stop walking every time they pull.

Also, Cosmo's new mama taught me the random turns kinda thing. Just take a few steps backward when they pull, and then they have to pay attention to you. It worked wonders with Cosmosis.

Offline Ma-Is-Pa

• Gnawer
  • Fal-o-Fluff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 01:46:33 am »
yes! Wasn't sure how to explain that one..but you put it perfectly.  Essentially the idea is that the dog cannot pull you if he isn't moving forward..so If you throw in random about-faces or sharp turns, it will keep him on his toes enough to distract from the need to pull, and allow you a break from the constant pressure on  the lead long enough to attach a command.

So you would walk on, let him pull you a bit, then immediately turn sharply and say heel or loose lead, pulling him off balance a bit as you turn - causing him to turn with you and usually work to catch up.  Then when he begins to pull again, do the same thing.  Eventually you can time it to where the dog is never really given the opportunity to be out of the "heel" position, therefore you set him up for the positive reinforcement and the ability to introduce the command.  Be sure to keep yourself, and him moving though.  It's sort of about staying two steps ahead of your dog. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:50:57 am by Ma-Is-Pa »
~Kitty Kat and..
Maxie Mouse!
Isa Piecy!
Payla Roo!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 11:55:56 am »
Wow! great advice, everyone. I will save the pinch collar until I find out if the harness works or not and the loose leash method, too. Thanks for all the great advice and success stories. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 12:03:39 pm »
Hey glad I read this thread because I was going to have a similar post in the near future. Yukon can already pull me off my feet and Yiska is soon to follow. I was going to look into a harness soon and now I know which to get! So thanks!