Author Topic: Fence jumper  (Read 4292 times)

Offline charlotte5050

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Fence jumper
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:40:56 pm »
Any suggestions on how to keep dogs from jumping the fence?  Loki and Red have gotten in the habit of jumping (or climbing!) our fence and are out most of the time anymore.  This has just started the last couple of weeks. 

My fence is 48" high, so it not easy for them to get over.  I even put an electric wire (like and electric fence for cattle)  at the top and it did not even slow them down.  We live in the country, so they are not bothering anyone when they do get out, but they cruise in search of skunks, coons, feral cats, etc.  Of course, I don't need to tell you the outcome if they find anything. 

A couple of nights ago, I went out to let them in on the porch and heard the most awful commotion in the corral.  I whistled and called, but there was so much going on that they either didn't hear me or chose not too.  Robert had to go outside with the shotgun and shot up in the air to get them distracted.  They did finally come back to the house.

I put the dogs in at night to sleep on the porch, but they are out pretty much all day.  This fence jumping is really getting on my nerves.  I don't want to have to keep them chained up all the time,  but the last couple of days, I have put them on the chain except when I am outside with them.

Robert has always said: "If you have 1 dog, you have a dog.  If you have 2 dogs, you have a half a dog.  If you have 3 dogs, you have no dog."  Lately, I am beginning to agree with him.

I have to figure this out or I have to have one less dog.  I'm catching a lot of flack from Robert - like it is MY fault that HIS dog and MY dog have started this.  His logic is that HIS dog didn't do this until I got my dog.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 11:42:36 pm by charlotte5050 »
Charlotte

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Fence jumper
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 01:21:33 am »
I would say that your four foot fence is the problem. Our fence is six feet high, and this seems to do the trick. My girl Abbey would clear the four foot fence without a hesitation, although I swear that my Saint wouldn't think of going over a two foot one (but I'd NEVER risk it!) I think that the only sure fire way to prevent the escaping would be to add a couple feet on to your already existing fence.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 01:28:10 am »
I have a 6ft fence too...

I do know they make something that goes over the top of a chain fence and it makes it roll...it was desingned to keep coyotes out of peoples yards

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 02:52:51 am »
I have 6' chain link fence & 3 dogs. I have electric inside my fence to keep them out of the Rhodi's.  Are they climbing or jumping?
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline charlotte5050

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:00:00 am »
I have 6' chain link fence & 3 dogs. I have electric inside my fence to keep them out of the Rhodi's. Are they climbing or jumping?
Carolyn

They get a run at the fence, hit it about 3ft up and then launch over the top.
Charlotte

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 03:16:06 am »
You didn't say what kind of fence.
You can get extensions for chain link.
If its wood, you could add an extension  at a 45 degree angle pointing inward at each post, and finish it with wood running horizontally, or cheaper, but as effective, wire.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 03:28:10 am by Tulsas' Dad »
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 06:57:30 am »
I have a 6 ft chain link fence with electric wire  about a foot off the ground on the inside. Before I had electric  one coonhound I had used to climb over the 6 foot fence and when she was done running around she would climb back in.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline sdaley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 05:57:30 am »
Hi, I'm new to this site, but this subject caught my attention.  I have a 5 year old female rottie, Sierra, and she has been escaping our yard since the day we got her at 8 mths old.  We've nick named her Houdini.  Currently we have a 6 ft brick wall and she can get over it just fine.  We're renters so we can't alter the wall in any way.  So basically we have a toddler on our hands, we have to sit outside with her when ever she's out in the yard and make sure we know where she is at all times.  Our neighbor is very much afraid of our girl.