Author Topic: Advise on stopping licking?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Advise on stopping licking?
« on: May 01, 2006, 02:25:14 am »
Hi everyone I could use some advise:

Harley my 4 year old Flat Coat is turning into quite a licker - it is kind of gross - I don't mind an occasional slurp but everytime he is near anyone they get a bath.  Also, every piece of exposed skin on my kids get licked.  I thought I read something a few years ago that this is a dominence thing - coating everyone with spit?  How can I stop or at least curtail it?  My DH doesn't pet him anymore because he doesn't want to get slurped, and my son who is 14 will pet him but once he start licking he pushes him away I'm sad I want him to be everyones friend.

As always, thank you for the advise!!

Randy and slurpy Harley

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Advise on stopping licking?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 02:47:15 am »
You might find this article useful http://www.perfectpaws.com/lick.html

I've never read that it was a dominant behaviour.  It's a fairly normal one.  I've had plenty of submissive puppies try to lick me to death.  It's just a behaviour that you've accidentally taught.  Kinda like teaching a dog to pull harder on a leash unknowingly.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:37:38 pm »
Thank you for your advise - I will read the article and may try the squirt bottle - I think my kids will like the squirt bottle to much and be shooting each other and harley no matter what he is doing.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:22:26 am »
We call Kiya "the million kisses girl". Even her breeder made note of that before we got her.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 12:24:09 pm »
When I first rescued Sadie, she'd lick everyone's hands but was afraid to let them pet her. I was told it was a submissive behavior. She still likes to give "kisses", which she will do on command on your cheek, but she doesn't lick as much as she did-a few hand swipes if you'll let her...

Funny thing about the water bottle-Riley hates the spray bottle. Sadie, on the other hand, *loves* the spray bottle. She will stand there with her mouth open trying to catch as much of it as she can. LOL