Author Topic: Please excuse my ignorance  (Read 4058 times)

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Please excuse my ignorance
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:24:24 pm »
I noticed that Annabelle was chewing on her foot today and when I looked at it I saw that between her toes is inflamed,Not the entire foot just between two of them.Is this common or could she have still gotten a flea bite even though she's on flea prevention?
What's a good way of getting her to leave it alone?
Jackie
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Please excuse my ignorance
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:08:28 pm »
could be a hot spot.  first, though, have you checked the area to make sure she doesn't have anything between her toes that could irritate it?  a small stick, sand, mud, etc?  if not, try to look up some info on hot spots and see if it fits the problem.  i'll try to find some pics of hot spots when i get a chance.  i think it was nina (dibby dog) who had one of her dogs develop one between her toes not long ago, here's a link to that post.  it has some ideas on what to use to clear it up.
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php?topic=17224.msg209611
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:09:37 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:30:51 pm »
Thanks,I forgot to mention in my first post that I wasn't sure if it was common for shaggy dogs to have this problem,
I haven't been able to trim the hair between her toes yet because hubby has been home to help distract her.
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:07:04 pm »
axle has gotten them before.  he has medium hair, and they flare up FAST on the rare occasion he gets one.  i would think it'd be easier for medium / long haired dogs to get them, because the fur holds heat and moisture in better than short hair would.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 08:55:16 pm »
you can spray some bitter apple on it to stop the chewing, but i would determine what it is first so as not to aggrivate it more. But B.A. works great on dogs chewing paws or licking spots.  :)
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:50:05 am »
Cabeza had this EXACT same thing! It turns out that he had gotten something in there (we still don't know what) and then it hurt, so he licked and bit at it until it got infected. We ended up putting him on antibiotics and also a topical antibiotic ointment. We had to squirt it between his toes for a few weeks. It eventually healed up.

Before we had him to the vet, though, we were putting a sock on him to keep him from messing with it. What we had to do was take one of Mark's big ol' sweatsocks, put it on,and then take another one of the socks and cut the elastic off of it. We used the elastic to sort of tie the other sock onto his foot so he couldn't pull it off. Worked pretty well.

Good luck! I'd probably get him into the vet if I were you. A simple antibiotic works wonders!

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:46:55 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions,I did put one of the kids socks on her last night and she did leave it on most of the night.I'm going to try trimming the hair and then a tea bag wash.hopefully it will clear up soon.
Jackie
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 02:26:39 pm »
I got some hot spot dust for Harley and it looks like it is healing up nice. It's more of a pink color that bright red. If the tea bad doesn't work there are lots of great products that you can get to put on it. The main thing is to have her not chew at it or it will make it worse, and it is amazing how fast it can get worse.  :( Funny how both of them have the in between the toes problem, such a pain in the butt spot  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Cimone101

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:11 am »
One of my danes had this problem last month! The Vet said it could be recurring interdigital cysts. She was trying to CHOMP her toes off to get at it. It did go away, so maybe the vet was wrong and it was a Hot Spot, or maybe she performed Cyst extraction surgery on herself. Either way, it hasn't been back!