Mountain Dogs > Bernese Mountain Dog Discussions

Berner puppy mom's or dad's...question

(1/3) > >>

MarleyPyr:
Is your puppy out of control with energy??? :o
Never had a puppy puppy (under 9 months) so I don't know if this is a puppy thing, a breed thing or an individual trait(hope not) but my berner puppy has the tempermant right now of a golden!! yikes. Will she calm down? LOL

lins_saving_grace:
you're not alone.  some puppies are laid back.  some aren't.  Grace is my first puppy that had a ton of energy.  she didn't sleep passed 4 am until she was 1 1/2.  she's still an early morning dog, but between 5 and 7 am isn't so bad. 
she had places to go and people to see when she was young.  the breeder marked her as a pet to sell, but forgot to tell me when I picked her up that she was a speeding bullet.  She mentioned that she was the first out of the pen, but not that she would bolt around for hours without a break.  I like thinking about those memories, but i'm really glad she's calmed down.

Berner_Mom:
My Tucker is 5 months old, and yes- I do find he has a lot of energy....but it seems to be in short bursts.  He is an early riser, but thankfully the 3am/4 am/5 am's have pretty much stopped, and now he's ok getting up at 6 am, when I normally get up. 

But he will play/play/play like crazy first thing in the morning, especially with our one cat, Simba (1.5 years old), and getting him to heel and listen to voice commands on the morning walk is almost impossible.  He wants to smell everything, chase bugs, meet everyone- its exhausting!  BUT...all this only seems to last the first hour or so of him being up.  Then he's calm, hanging out, eating his breakfast, watching my husband and I get ready for work.  He goes to his "room" (kennel) no trouble, and we leave.

I come home at lunch (3.5 hours later) and give him lunch, walk him again, and he's the best behaved puppy ever, heels like theres no tomorrow- but will still burst out of that quiet demeanor if there are people/other dogs around, and will be crazy, bouncy again- and then switches it off, and is back to being calm and cool.  He is much the same way on his nighttime walk, though I do notice he doesn't behave quite as well as the mid-afternoon walk, perhaps because this is the only walk that my husband accompanies us on?

I would agree with the other poster, every puppy is different, even inside its own breed, I'd classify Tucker as "laid back with short random bursts of energy", and I've heard much the same from friends with Berners.

BTW- your profile pic is cute!  Your pups look adorable.

queenbeen:
Our little guy Duke is just shy of 9 weeks and he's much like Maddie and Tucker. He has tons of energy in the morning and then gets laid back later in the day. He does get short bursts of ebergy, but he's so young that he spends much of his time sleeping. He's really been a great puppy so far!

sc.trojans:

Berners are very high energy for the first couple of years - this is typical (being couch potatoes is NOT).  As a working breed, they are usually very boisterous, but also, not a breed with speed endurance.

As with most puppies, they play in bursts and need frequent rests.  This is why owners are always cautioned not to take Berner puppies on walks.  The constant repetitive motion on their young joints is not healthy, and your pace is not their's.  Free exercise of frequent running, and stopping, is the natural and healthiest mode.

My most recent Berner  puppy was exhausting.  She has a very strong working drive and high drafting aptitude and it showed as a pup.  She was up and raring to go and tough to tire.  At age 4, she is only now starting to mellow :) but many mellow by age 2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version