Author Topic: ATTN Rotty/Mastiff Owners...Compare and Contrast?  (Read 2843 times)

doggylover

ATTN Rotty/Mastiff Owners...Compare and Contrast?
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:33:14 pm »
As you all know, we are getting a bullmastiff puppy in 2 weeks and 1 day!  I am wondering, are there any big paws on the board who have had both of these breeds?  How would you compare them?  We read up on bullmastiffs a ton, and have talked to mastiff owners, but I was hoping maybe a few of you have had direct experience with both!  OK OK it's just any excuse to obsess over the new addition! 

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: ATTN Rotty/Mastiff Owners...Compare and Contrast?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 06:06:24 am »
I dont own either but people close to me own both breeds... Zeros best friend was a BM until they hated each other and had clash of the titans in my back yard and I have been around serveral rotties and helped rescue one.

Rotties (in regards to overall in breed) I feel have more prey drive and protection instinct that the BM... BM's are realitively quiet dogs unless bored and it is a trait for the breed

BM's drool more LOL... overall they are bost dominant dog breeds... congrats on your new addition
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 07:13:23 am »
While I dont have a bull mastiff, I currently have an almost 7 month male American Mastiff and a 2 year old female rottie. I have owned 2 other rotties as well.  As far as comparisons go I would say that the male rottie was similar in many ways to my AM.  Both require a firm, consistent owner. They tend to pick one person who they follow more than others. Both are aloof with strangers.  While my rottie had a strong prey drive, he loves to lay around the house. Both are protective although my rottie was more assertive with his protection, I have heard that as he matures so will he. Both have been great with my kids. Both are clowns and love to play. The biggest difference that I see so far with that is that my rotties seem to have a lot more energy.

As far as differences go my mastiff barks a lot more than any of my rotties.  As many of you know rotties like to wait, watch and see whats going on before announcing that they are there.  I'm not sure if my mastiff's barking is more related to the outcross with the AS. 

I have been really suprise how much my AM is similar to my rottie Nicholai who I lost a little over a year ago. 

I hope that helps.  I'm sure your pups will be great together. Good luck and can't wait to see pics.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 12:36:47 pm »
This is a lot of what we had heard, except for the 'more drool with bm' OMG MORE?  Badger is a huge drama queen and quite stubborn, so he pushes and pushes and then when he is told to go to his bed, he harumps, grumbles and whimpers all the way there. 
The barking thing is a little bit of a suprise to me.  Badger never barks, and we read that most BM don't hardly ever bark either, but I'm thinking that could just be a huge personality thing...
We were told that female dogs (in general) are more 'territorial' than male dogs, and therefore more protective.  Badger is anti-protection.  Someone could home invade us and the worst he would do is lick them from his hiding spot behind the couch.  We are hoping he gets a little bit of the protection thing from her.  I'm imagining him teaching her all of his tricks and me then having two farting, grumping, kiss you only when THEY want to, velcro dogs instead of one!
Thanks for your input!  There will def be tons of pics!
 :D 

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 12:42:02 pm »
American Mastiffs bark more due to the LGD influence in them (Anatolian Shepherd)and might have more protection in them due to the Anatolian Shepherd

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 12:45:08 pm »
American Mastiffs bark more due to the LGD influence in them (Anatolian Shepherd)and might have more protection in them due to the Anatolian Shepherd
As much as we like the quiet, however she is when she gets here, we will love her, but I have to say that it might be nice if she is more protective, and a little barking might be nice...break up the quiet.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 12:49:21 pm »
Orginially BM's were bred to be dead quiet... they would sit with thier keeper in the dark... the keeper would know if a threat or danger whas coming when the dog wrinkled their forehead hence the wrinkles up there...  Max the BM that lives next door almost never makes a sound but I feel if the situation came about he would protect...

You have to understand... I have CO and CAO extreme ends of protection LOL

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 12:55:22 pm »
You have to understand... I have CO and CAO extreme ends of protection LOL
I have to say, your dogs are awesome, regal, beautiful.  I've read your posts for a while now and David and I talked about it, and decided that your dogs may be 'too much' for us.  While we like dominant stubborn dogs, I think it takes more advanced understanding and skill to handle your dogs...I think if we had one, we would be run over the top of, and that wouldn't be fair to the dog at all.
BTW, I would LOVE to see more pics of your dogs, they are really incredible...

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 01:00:26 pm »
Did someone say pics LOL.... These are my first breeds of my very own LOL... I jsut love dogs and seem (from what I am told) have a deep understanding of them LOL... owning CO's and CAOs is almost like a lifestyle not just owning a dog.  Thanks so much for the compliments... I cant wait to see pics of your new furbaby....I am sure the waiting is killing you

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 01:12:10 pm »
Did someone say pics LOL.... These are my first breeds of my very own LOL... I jsut love dogs and seem (from what I am told) have a deep understanding of them LOL... owning CO's and CAOs is almost like a lifestyle not just owning a dog.  Thanks so much for the compliments... I cant wait to see pics of your new furbaby....I am sure the waiting is killing you

ROFL in that first pic, Chara looks like a lion!  Sooo cute! 
The wait isn't as hard for me as it is for David, I am driving him absolutely CRAZY...right in the middle of...'snuggling', he'll think I'm 'lost in the momet' and I'll blurt (through no fault of my own) 'OMG Gossy is going to be here in 18 days and 4 hours!' or, 'Gossy is going to be SO cute, don't ya think?'....
He is beside himself, wants his somewhat normal wife back...

kristi

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 01:35:18 pm »
Rhonda-

I had a Rottie prior to Sampson. He was a barker & a little high-strung (IMO).
Sampson never barks - unless there is a reason (UPS/mailman at the front door).
He's sooooo laid-back... any more laid-back & he'd slip in to a coma! Really good natured, loves kids, gets along well with other dogs, etc.
Prey drive isn't an issue. If there's an animal in the yard (rabbit/squirrel), he may run to see it, but that's really it. I have a deaf-albino cat in the house & have no problems at all - if there was going to be an issue with prey, Marco Polo would be 1st on the list.
Hope this helps! I'll be in chat if you have any other questions! ;)

-k.