Author Topic: De-worming for dogs  (Read 2578 times)

Offline imadoglover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
De-worming for dogs
« on: November 02, 2006, 04:00:35 am »
Hi!
I’m a huge animal lover and I was wondering if anyone could help me solve
my problem…
I have a dog who’s name is Elvis and a cat who’s name is Princess!
I’ve discovered that Elvis had worms, (is it possible that he got from other pets???)
so I want to my vet and he gave him a de-worming medication in a tablet form but he wouldn’t swallow it!!
I didn’t want to use too much force so I tried wrapping it with some sausage but he some how figured it out!
please help me!!
Tami

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: De-worming for dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:16:16 am »
I do what Tina described, but I also pet their necks/throats. I was told that this encourages swallowing, and my pets always swallow their pills. If not, well... It doesn't seem to hurt! I had to give Riley 8 pills this morning: 5 dewormers (yuck) and 3 for his rash that looked like horse pills.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 03:26:35 am »
Hi,

Here is another solution that you can try. Food grade Diamateous Earth, can be sprinkled into meals and will naturally deworm. Also works on the coat to help flea and tick control. 

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=11&pageStyle=P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:26:56 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 03:40:15 am »
I crash pills and put it in yogurt. Works every time!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 05:23:42 am »
I have always done the technique that Tina mentioned but just last week I tried hiding Shiner's antibiotics in food for him.  I crushed the pills up and mixed them in wet cat food.  I also tried mixing it with sour cream dip for chips to hide the bitter taste of the steroid pills he had to take.  He ate it right up.  If I try hiding a whole pill in food my dogs just suck all the food off the pill and spit the pill across the floor.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience