Author Topic: If you dine out, read this!!  (Read 6133 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
If you dine out, read this!!
« on: October 09, 2007, 06:52:15 pm »
There are SO many people out there flooding the restaurants w/o any knowledge of how to tip. Here is a short guide for the general public to follow. Feel free to print out and store in your wallet and/or purse.

1. CHILDREN "THE LITTLE DEVILS":
If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc). IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items. We are neither their babysitter nor their parent. The least you can do is pay us for the extra work. Also make sure you control your kids and don't let them scream or run around the restraunt. It's very distracting not to mention dangerous if they get ran over by a server with hot food in their hands.

2. "THE CAMPERS":
If you feel the necessity to stay for longer than 15 minutes after you pay, its an extra $3 every 30 minutes. We make our money from the tables. If you are in one and we can't seat it, we don't make money.

3. COMPLIMENTS:
Telling a server they are the best server they've ever had is not a tip. If we are good, let us know by leaving us more money. We cant pay our bills on compliments. Its not that we don't appreciate the praise, its just that if you say that and then leave 10%, its an insult.

4. THE SALVATION PAMPHLETS:
Prayer cards and any other religious pamphlet is NOT a tip. It is insulting that you assume we are w/o religion and must save us. Again, like ..3, we cant pay bills w/prayer cards. We'd go to church on Sundays if it wasn't mandatory to work on Sundays because EVERYONE who goes to church follows it by eating out.

5. TIPPING:
It is not 1960. Cost of living has gone up dramatically since then. 18% is the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. Just look at the tax line and multiply by 2-3, this gives you your minimum tip amount. Remember, our companies pay us minimum wage (minumum wage for servers is $6.75 in CA, $3.38 in FL, $3.09 in IA, ONLY $2.38 IN MARYLAND & $2.13 in Louisiana & TN) And we are taxed on 10 percent of your meal automatically anyway. So if your meal is $100 and you leave $10 and we tip out $4-5 to the busser, bartender, and whoever else then we pay tax on 10 dollars the state assumes we are atleast making and we actually make $5. It seems small but it adds up. How many times do you eat out per week and do this? 18% PEOPLE!!! MINIMUM!

6. THE COMPLAINERS:
If you get a discount because of your food was prepared wrong or something, do not take it out of our tip. We didn't cook it. The cooks get paid hourly regardless if the food sucks. However, we only make what you give us.

7. THE FREE STUFF:
If you happen to get anything for free and you did not have a problem with your dining experience, most of the time it is because the server thinks you will realize that they are giving it to you for free. There should be extra tip thanking the server for the free item. They could get in a lot of trouble giving away free stuff. You should give them hazard pay for it.

8. THE LATE ONES:
If you come into the restraunt 10 mins before closing or any time near closing hurry up and order your food and get out. Closed means closed, not social hour. It is so rude to sit there and take your sweet @ss time. We can't leave until you leave because we have to do sidework and clean the table you are sitting at. We don't want to stand there waiting for you for an extra hour just because you don't want to go home. We recommend 24 hour establishments such as Dennys if you wish to sit into the wee hours of the night.

9. THE TABLE HOGGERS:
If you only come in for coffee or a dessert, to do paper work, or to have a meeting, don't sit there taking up our booths for hours. We are not Starbucks or a hotel restraunt. If you want to sit for hours, go there or else you better leave a good tip for us and camping fee included.

10. THE GREET:
When we come up to the table to greet you and we ask how you are doing please let us know. We honestly want to know how you are doing. If you are in a bad mood we want to know that from the beginning. A confused stare or complete silence does not suffice as a reply to "How are you doing?". Also most of us are REQUIRED to say certain things during the greeting, so please don't interrupt our greeting and say "I want coffee", "Can we get some bread?", or "What are the soups?"

11. THOSE DAMN CELL PHONES:
Don't ever talk on your cell phone in a restraunt. This is probably the rudest thing to do. If you must be on your cell, at least keep your voice down in respect for other customers. If you are on your cell phone when we walk up to greet your table we will walk away and not return until you get off your phone. Just show some respect and give us your attention for a couple of minutes.

12. TAKE-AWAY OR TO-GOS:
Always remember to tip the take-out order servers! They work just as hard as a server, and hardly ever get tips for it! WE DESERVE TO BE TIPPED TOO!

13. DO NOT TELL ME YOU ARE BROKE WHEN YOU ARE LEAVING: If you cannot afford to tip properly then do not go out to eat. If I as a server bring you back $8.00 in change lets say from a $70.00 bill and only leave me $2.00 and tell me you are broke you should be castrated for being such an ignorant a**hole!! Do not waste your time or mine it really pisses us off.

14. High School Kids: Learn how to tip!! Just because you do not have a job and mommy and daddy pays for everything you have including the meal that you are eating do not think that it is ok to not tip. Leave a tip people b/c I remember every face that does not tip.
!!!SERVERS READING THIS!!!
Please repost this so the word can get out, since so many people are uneducated about tips and our lives depend on this - atleast for now...

SIGNED, YOUR FELLOW RESTAURANT WORKERS

I completely and utterly agree with ALL of this! Especially number 6 I swear to God if someone does that to me again, I'm just slapping them. On Sunday, we were expectingly busy and I had a fairly big table of 6 people. We also had a new cook who has only been working since last Monday. The people were not happy with their food because it was cooked wrong. I fixed it immediately and gave it back to them, which they ate. So what do I find when I go to collect the money? EXACT CHANGE for the bill! I was seriously pissed and ready to run out there and scream at them. But of course I didn't want to have this come back all on Maria.. right now I'm biding my time. When I quit I'm so saying something to my last nasty customer. ;D
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: If you dine out, read this!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:19:42 pm »
I would like to kiss whoever compiled this list :-* It rings so true!! Tipouts, running kids, highschool kids-i know there is the exception to the rule, and cheapasses looking for a way out of tipping >:( I actually had a guy put 5 dollars in coins on the table one time (before ordering) and tell me that it was my tip but for every "mistake" he felt happened he would take some away...I got the 5 bucks but I felt like telling him what a prick he was and letting him keep the money.
I would like to add....your 1 American dollar does not equal 5 Canadian, is not a novelty to me and no I will not give you your change in american money, I live in Canada!! (I know none of you would do this :-*)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 04:05:26 am »
I usually always tip at least 25%, however I have been on the receiving end of sorry service more than once. I am sure that it is because it is possible the last customer did not tip properly or didnt tip at all, but the server should also treat me with respect. Now that our children are older, usually it is just my husband and myself and I can promise you that if there is another table with more than 2 people that my server is also attending, that table seems to get the additional attention and service.

So here is some advice from the other side.

1) Treat me as if I am your only customer- I may only be one of 20 customers for you, however I am paying to be served and will tip accordingly.

2) Dont make me ask for a refill of my beverage, you can tell if I am requiring a refill.

3) Server social hour is very irritating if I am waiting to be served. Recently I had to go and break up the server get together to even get my families order placed. I know that it was Saturday morning and there was a really big party the nite before- trust me any one within hearing distance of the servers knew this, I dont care. I came to enjoy breakfast with my family and waiting excessively to place the order is going to place me in a bad mood.

4) If the server see's trash, such as the little paper ring that is used to wrap the silver ware, or creamer cups or sugar packets that have been opened and used on the table, clean it off. Same goes with a plate that I am  finished with, dont make me place it on the end of the table to try and get your attention and if you come by and ask if we would like coffee after our meal- do not ignore that plate, take it with you.

5) Small kids running around is also extremely irritating to the customers who did not bring said small children. Have your management address the situation with the irresponsible parents. I no longer have small children to take care of and I do not want to be dealing with some one elses who are out of control when I am out trying to enjoy my dinner.

6) There are some restuarants that we will go to instead of somewhere else simply because the service is exceptional, we also have restaurants that we avoid because of the past service we have received.

My husband was a waiter for many many years because it allowed us to raise our children with out day care so that we could instill our values in our children and not have a day care or baby sitter instilling their values, therefore we worked seperate shifts and he did the evenings as a waiter and I worked daytime hours in an office.There were times that no matter what the situation, he just didnt get tipped properly. He always worked high end fine dining, so it was more a matter of bad manners or rude people.

Its always a gamble to be a server, but those who are really good make the dining experience pleasant and those are the ones that will build a clientele that choose to sit in thier section on return visits.

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 04:47:27 am »
Haha...well said Paige!!  On that note...wanna do breakfast this Sat?

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 05:25:15 am »
I agree with EVERYTHING except this:
12. TAKE-AWAY OR TO-GOS:
Always remember to tip the take-out order servers! They work just as hard as a server, and hardly ever get tips for it! WE DESERVE TO BE TIPPED TOO!

It seems like someone who read the list somehow altered it to add this in because there is no such thing as a take out "server". I never tip for take out if I pick it up. No one did anything, but prepare the food and run it out to my car. Big deal. They're called food runners, not servers. No tip needed. Unless they're getting minimum waitress wage of like 2.15/hr (like I was when I was a server) to run food out to someone's car....and if this is the case, get another job NOW.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:03:41 am »
12. TAKE-AWAY OR TO-GOS:

It seems like someone who read the list somehow altered it to add this in because there is no such thing as a take out "server". I never tip for take out if I pick it up. No one did anything, but prepare the food and run it out to my car. Big deal. They're called food runners, not servers. No tip needed. Unless they're getting minimum waitress wage of like 2.15/hr (like I was when I was a server) to run food out to someone's car....and if this is the case, get another job NOW.
I totally agree with you on this one! I drive to the restaurant, park my car, walk in and get my food...why do I need to tip? It takes me a year to convience my manager to give me $1 per hour raise. Some years I don't...Does it mean I don't work hard enough? I think every work place is stressfull and I think that people who work in the office can write much longer and more paintfull scripts.   
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:05:57 am »
i agree that if you dont have money to tip...dont go eat out!  same thing at a car wash...if you dont have money to tip, dont let kids sweat to death OR freeze to death washing it for you.  i worked as both waitress and car washer in my teens...and it sucked lol.  people are mean.

i tip a standard 20 percent....if its GREAT service, i tip more.  

there was ONE TIME though, that i was SOOOO pissed at the girl, i left her like 3 pennies.  lol.  i know its not nice, but neither was she!  one lady did that to me once, and i got the point lol.  

good tips though!!!
NICKI

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 06:11:06 am »
Back when I waited tables, some people were not happy with their food, and I quickly corrected the problem. They too ended up leaving exact change. My boss was pissed...he put in a coupon when he processed their bill, therefore giving me the "change" for my tip. :)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 06:15:17 am »
Good list, Megan.

I've been a server off and on for many years, so when I go out to eat, I also have really high expectations of mine.

I would like to second everything Paige said and also add this, my tip is the best way that I can express my satisfaction with your service. If I don't leave 18% or more, its because your service SUCKED. Don't always assume that if people don't leave tips they're cheap or just don't get it. You may have sucked and not realized it, or maybe you're not paying attention.

Pretty much you've dropped down to like, 12%-15% right off the bat if you've walked by my table 2-3 times and not said, "Hi, I'll be right with you". I don't mind waiting, but GEEZE-O! Address me!

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 06:19:47 am »
oh...and on a side note...because I waited tables for several years...I have pet peeves.
-Please do NOT grab my glass from the top where I drink when you take it for a refill, you can touch the bottom.
- If you screw up my order by entering the wrong food...don't make excuses, just fix it.
- I would like my salad prior to the meal...not after when I tell you you forgot it.
- Be nice the whole time you are waiting on us...not just at the end when you drop off the check.
- If we are standing and putting jackets on, that means we are done....we would have liked the check 10 min. ago when you took all the empty plates away...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:21:17 am by zchic »
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 06:40:58 am »
12. TAKE-AWAY OR TO-GOS:

Let me first say that I personally don't expect a tip for take-out, you are 100% right, all I have to do is ring in the food and give it to you when you arrive. However, now that I am a bartender in a corporate restaurant I have to tipout the kitchen on said takeout as if I had been tipped on it....not your fault at all, but be aware if you are ordering for your entire staff at lunch and the bill is $300.00 (actually common where I work) throw me a couple dollars to cover it, you are in fact tipping the kitchen for their extra work.
Zchic- the spider grip on the top of the glass is disgusting, I don't know where those people were trained but I absolutely agree with you.
Taking plates/ garbage off tables-always! everytime I go over something leaves with me, I have however been SCREAMED at for removing plates before everyone at the table was done...if you have a small personal preference like this DINE AT HOME! I can't read your mind.
Thank god I will be all done with customer service in 2 months :-*

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 07:18:00 am »
replenish the salad bar (I have never again eaten at a salad bar, but that's for another thread).

Boy, am I with you on that one! Just thinking about it...ugh.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 02:14:58 pm »
This thread is cracking me up!!!  Just got home from work, and yes I'm a server!!!  I'm not going to add anything to what has already been said, I agree with most of it, except the tipping on take-outs because you don't know who is putting that order in so you don't know if they are being taxed on it or not, unless you ask.  I've worked in one place where the bartender had to ring up to-go orders and they were taxed on them and in another place it was the cashier and they weren't.  Another thing to mention, I don't get a paycheck, I OWE the restaurant every two weeks!!  That's a whole 'nother story too!

Anyway!!  I always like it when people ask if the seafood is fresh or if the oysters are good.  Well, we're an hour and a half or so from the gulf, yes that is water outside but those are mullet that are jumping, chances are that the seafood is packed in ice and may be frozen when we get it (for some that is NOT fresh).  And if you want to eat oysters, that's on you, you know the consequences!!  I don't have a direct line to mother nature!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 03:41:04 pm »
Wow sounds like everyone has their peeves with this! lol

But Sorry Paige I seriously have to disagree on this with you.
4)Same goes with a plate that I am  finished with, dont make me place it on the end of the table to try and get your attention and if you come by and ask if we would like coffee after our meal- do not ignore that plate, take it with you.

Ok I refuse, I mean absolutely refuse to reach over someone to grab a dirty plate! They MUST set it at the end of the table for me to pick up. If they don't I'm not taking it! Mostly this is a manners thing for me... I was always smacked on the arm/hand as a child if I reached over someone to grab a plate, therefore I won't do it now. Sorry if this is bad manners to some. However if I were to be smacked on the arm/hand by a customer for reaching over to get a plate,  I'd probably tackle their a**es! ;D
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 04:00:45 pm »
Ok Megna- you are right- I was writting this at 5:30 this morning. I have no problem with the server asking me if they would like me to take the plate, especially if I pretty much have snarfed everything on it- ask me- if I am saving that last bit of lettuce, I will let you know, but if I have dumped my paper napkin in the plate and also put all of the extra trash like the sugar packets etc that were not previously taken, in the plate, then yep, I am done. Also no way on the take out, half of the time that I have to go to the famous burger joint that starts with a C, if I wait for them to bring it to the car, I have wasted no less than 10 minutes and the last 2 times I let them bring it to me, the order was completely wrong. Oh and how funny, I forgot about the spider grip on the glass.... eww. I have insisted on a clean glass more than once.
Servers have it tough and I never intend on going out and making it harder, but for us to go out to eat, we have to drive into town from the boonies and it is a special occasion- I want it to be a pleasant experience.