Author Topic: dog friends?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
dog friends?
« on: September 29, 2006, 06:49:16 pm »
how important is it for dogs to have friends? mack is nice to other dogs, but it seems no dogs are nice to him!! they bite his face and he gets really upset cause no one other doggies like him!! im trying to talk my hubby into letting me get another dog...a buddy for mack so he will have a dog buddy to play with...but he just doesnt think its a good idea.

so i need some supporting arguments for this!!
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: dog friends?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 06:15:35 pm »
How "playful" is mack? You can't always assume that the other dog wants to play. If Mack is a up-in-your-face kind of dog, then the other dogs may be trying to teach him a lesson-a lesson he may need to learn! Lots of times w/ puppies, other dogs let them get away w/ "forcful playing", but once they reach a certain age, they need to learn that they can't always demand attention. Have you ever had a person always up in your face, being so friendly that you want to puke? Sometimes the other dogs don't see it as a welcome, they see it as a threat. Or you may see it as a welcome, but YOUR dog may be treatening the other, and the other dog knows it. Body language in dogs is the number one way to predict a fight. My advice to you: Don't let your dog become overly excited when he meets a new dog. Encourage a friendly greeting, but if he starts to get to happy, walk a way. Let him re-aproach the dog when he gets his manners back. A good way to teach this is to have something WAAAAY more interesting than the other dog (ei: cheese, a toy, other yummy things), then Mack learns that sometimes a new dog on the street isn't the most fun thing you could be doing, you could be EATING! Be very careful at the dog park (if you go) not to let Mack charge up to dogs. this is a HUGE threat and violation of personal space (for the other dog). Keep something yummy on you at all times so he learns that it isn't the end of the world when he doesn't get a full out play session with every dog he meets.

Hope this helps a little!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 02:35:22 am »
I have always had at least two dogs, as hubby and I both work and the dogs provide companionship for each other when we are out. I have always had the best luck introducing a puppy into my pack rather than another adult dog as they seem to start at the bottom of the pack and work their way to their perminent position gradually. (Note to Mr Krystal_00, note the plug for a new puppy.)
As for dog parks and the like, I really don't go to them all that often. I am easily annoyed and far too outspoken to put up with some of the moron nimrods and their untrained and ill mannered dogs and children that seem to always be around the ones that are convienent to me. The few times that I have been around BPOers and their wonderfully trained and socialized fur kids my crew has been OK for the most part. They would generally try to avoid anyone that they had issue with rather than provoke a problem.
It sounds like controlled introductions on leashes would be the way to go for now, at least until you have worn down Mr Krystal_00 and he gives in to your need for another family member.
Stella

Luvmydanes

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 03:23:04 am »
When Jasmine was an only puppy for a while, I would take her over once in a while to play at my mom's house who has a rotty and a australian shepard. She loves playing with them. I always thought it was really good for her cause it gave her the excersise I knew she wasn't getting. We would walk her at least 3-4 times a week, and run around with her in the yard, but it still doesn't seem like it was enough cause she would come home SO tired after playing with my mom's dogs. lol

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 03:34:06 am »
Leah's advice was spot on.  When we first got Cosmo he was nipped many times by smaller dogs.  He had really inappropriate greeting skills.  Dogs that are too happy to meet someone often get a growl or worse.  You will need to help him to become a better greeter.  Watch his approach.  Most dogs curve when walking up to each other.  They don't come head on as this is aggressive.  They spend a minute or two sniffing none personal parts and then move in for the privates and then to play.

Now as for another dog, OF COURSE!!!  Don't get another dog as a playmate though.  My dogs rarely play together and Sam gets mad because Cosmo gets too assertive (Sam's head in his mouth).  Dogs learn more appropriate greeting and pack order from other dogs, but still need to be taught when living with humans ie. kids are higher up than dogs. 

My $0.02 for you!
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes