Author Topic: Can't Get Yukon in the water  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Dena

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Can't Get Yukon in the water
« on: August 09, 2006, 03:53:42 pm »
I need some help on how to introduce Yukon, (she is 8 months old so still a puppy) to a larger body of water, she will play like crazy in a little kiddie pool.  We have a 22X44 inground pool that she has only been in once and we cannot get her to go in swimming.  The pool has 4 steps that go down into the water, but she has no interest in the pool.  Anyone had this problem with their newf, I was under the impression that they all loved water and she does, but not in a large setting.   

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Get Yukon in the water
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:17:52 pm »

If that is a Newfie pup you have, she WILL eventually go in.  Give her time.
That is all I can input... sorry, I don't have a Newfie.
Hello, my name is Ruta, I have a Great Pyrenees Mix.
You will LOVE this place.  Very Addictive.
Enjoy your Stay.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 05:36:35 pm »
Is there somewhere you can take him where you can get in the water?  I've heard from several people now on BPO that have newfoundlands, that their dog hesitated getting into the water at first.  I realize every dog is an individual, so your mileage may vary.  For ours, they first had kiddie wading pools in the back yard to play in.  They later went to the local pond.. with Bava I got in and lured him in with a treat, threw the bumper and then he got a treat, so forth and so on, and he loved it.  With Sophie.. She saw the water, took off running, jumped out and up about 6 feet and swam and swam, she came back in , in 10-15 minutes.... she was soo happy.  But Bava was a bit hesitant to begin with until I got in the water first and called him to me with a treat, now he absolutely loves swimming.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 05:38:20 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:53:01 am »
Bear is also hesitant to go in the pool that only has a ladder in/out. She only comes in (reluctantly) when we carry her in. She is much better however swimming in lake, fetching sticks and chasing ducks. I think she likes being able to touch bottom and have a way she can swim out herself. So maybe try a lake/ocean!

mjjensen

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 02:00:42 am »
  I agree with Brandon. If you had a place where Yukon could gradually get into the water it might be easier than your pool. Duncan took to the water right off but my first Newf Molly didn't swim until she was almost 1 1/2 years old and then only with me in the water coaxing her with toys and treats. It took a lot of work to get her to go in on her own without someone being in the water with her. If your pool is your only option you might also think about getting her a doggy life vest to help her out until she gets used to the water.

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 03:34:37 am »
Our Molly has only just decided she likes water and can swim, and she is 10 years old, now we can't keep her out of the stuff!!

Our other two can swim if you can get them out into the water, but they are quite reluctant... Unless they now follow Molly in ::)

Give it time ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 04:50:38 am »
Our Bear loves water but has the same hesistation with pools. I really think it has to do with  being able to see the bottom. Bear usually hangs out on the steps for a bit until he is sure he can swim around safely.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.