Author Topic: Nicki Brings up an interesting subject...  (Read 14331 times)

Nicole

Re: Nicki Brings up an interesting subject...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 06:02:17 pm »
I love naming pets after movies and books! So fun! My friend's dog is named Zero, after the ghost-dog in "Nighmare Before Christmas" I think that its the coolest name!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 07:16:32 pm »
Sugar Bear, when the breeder e-mailed me the photo my first though was sweet little bear. So I came up with Sugar Bear. His full name is "King of the hill Sugar Bear" , since we live on a hill and he is the king. 

Dixie Darlin, she is from a breeder in New York, so I though it would be cute to name her Dixie Darlin. 

Lisa, Dixie, & Sugar Bear
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline lil_princess724

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 07:36:24 pm »
my husband and i have culinary backgrounds, so i wanted food names. Bailey is after Bailey Irish Cream. I had a cat caviar.
Cassandra
        Bailey's mom

Nicole

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 07:49:11 pm »
Dixie is Dixie Darlin????????????? NO WAY! That's what I named my cat before we realized he was a boy!!!!!!!!!!! How funny!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 08:45:12 pm »
That is funny, evenyone around here makes fun of "Dixie Darlin" from New York City.  hehehe I just love it.  I am hopeing the Darlin part will show up soon.  For now she is my wild child.  Most pyrs do not like to jump much, but she will jump on, off or into anything.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 10:52:26 pm »
Our first Newf, Otis was named for Otis Redding because of his song "Sittiin' on the Dock of the Bay"....the world best dog!  (OKAY  I am prejudice!!),  Lucille was named for B.B. King's guitar and because she was just SO cool!  Cowboy was a rescue and arrived with his name...and I LOVE to make my children gag when I go out to the yard and drawl, "Come on, Cowboy, it's time for bed!  THEY HATE IT!!!  Chester is the name of the town next to our cabin in the mountains and it's such a funny old place.  We love it there and we love him.  It just works!!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 10:03:05 am »
I'm a huge Greek/Roman Mythology fan, so it's Zeus and Apollo. Our cats were both rescues, and came with names in tow, but any further pets we'll prbably stick to the same theme.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 11:34:14 am »
I should have been born an "Native American Indian" so now my names have been Indian. Kiya (my spelling) is Hopi meaning "my elder sister little", Billy picked Apache's name, my horse "Reno" because I want to live there one day, my horse "Stroker" because his motor was stroked, cat "Spitz" because when he met the dogs that was all he did. Our 2 adoptees Chazzy & cat Misty kept thier names they had.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Nicole

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 11:59:11 am »
I love Roman and Greek mythology! When my best friend in high school got a kitty, she let me name her...I named her Athena!

Lisa--a new Pit bull puppy arrived at my house last night...guess what we named her??? DIXIE DARLIN!!!

I hope you don't mind...its the first female critter that's been in my house in awhile...and I've always loved the name!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 11:40:48 pm »
Carolyn, why do you want to live in Reno.   ???

Peggy
Peggy

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 12:04:32 am »
I should have been born an "Native American Indian" so now my names have been Indian. Kiya (my spelling) is Hopi meaning "my elder sister little", Billy picked Apache's name, my horse "Reno" because I want to live there one day, my horse "Stroker" because his motor was stroked, cat "Spitz" because when he met the dogs that was all he did. Our 2 adoptees Chazzy & cat Misty kept thier names they had.
Carolyn

Carolyn,

Do you like the name Anasazi?  I think it will make a pretty name for a pup...and can be shortened to Ana.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2005, 01:49:44 am »
I love pet naming tales!  :)
Here's ours:

Rosie (the one in the pic): We rescued from the pound and she was a SAAAAD baby there. But the second we got her out of the cage, she was bouncy and happy, and has been ever since. She loves EVERYONE and so we said she views the world thru rose colored glasses... and then named her Rosie.

Lucy: Our Lab/Aus Shepherd/Lord only knows-Mix who looks more like a fox or coyote. My son got to name her and we were watching "I Love Lucy" on TV alot that summer. Our Lucy's a redhead too so he named her Lucy!

Captain: Old family dog that my little brother named before we even got him ("I'm going to get a dog and either name it Shadow or Captain")

Luna: Resued baby whose name was originally Scotty. I had a nephew of the same name that died of cancer and couldn't bare to keep the name. So we came up with Luna, which fit her because she was white and a bit sad. Poor dear...

Maddie: The family dog from the 80s! I SWEAR it took 2 weeks to name her! Nothing seemed to fit! Then one day a commercial for "Moonlighting" came on (Anyone remember that show? lol) and I heard the name Maddie. It fit her to a tee. She was a good old thing who lived to be 16. We miss ya girl...

Smokie: Our rescued cat that the neighbors abandoned. My son named him that because he said he looked like smoke (a grey striped cat). My brother and his wife took him in to raise. Their little boy with autism loves Smokie so much and taking care of the cat is really helping him.

Hazel-rah: A bunny named from the book "Watership Down."

Darwin: Our mud dog - something that is kind of a cross between a fish and a salamander. It starts its life with gills on its head, swims around in water all the time and looks a lot like the Creature from the Black Lagoon when it does! Then it 'evolves' later when its gills fall off and it becomes mostly land dwelling, hence the name Darwin. Poor Darwin, tho, didn't ever really get the hang of his Evolution and died not to long afterward. He was a GREAT fish tho...

Well there's the list. Yes, not all of them dogs, but we can't all be perfect!  :)

Nicole

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 11:37:30 am »
Its OK Saljen, we love ALL animals! hehhe! Even mud-dogs! Darwin is a PERFECT name for a mud dog! hehe! Have you ever seen one of these? I bought one for my boyfriend one time and he has it on his guitar! heheh!

GR8DAME

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 01:40:48 pm »
Off topic here, But Saljen, I loved the book Watership Down. There was another book by the same author about two research dogs that escaped...and of couse I can't remember the name to save my soul. MY KIDS ARE RIGHT, I AM GETTING SENILE!!!!!
Stella