Author Topic: 10 month old pup with crate issues!  (Read 3462 times)

Offline robbinaj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
10 month old pup with crate issues!
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:06:05 am »
I got my dog Miles from the SPCA about three months ago when he was about 6 months old. He was about 50lbs when I got him and still growing! He is the greatest and sweetest dog except for one thing....he HATES the crate. Nothing has helped. I try treats, kongs, toys, chews, bone, etc. I feed him in the crate everyday to try positive association and he'll walk in there...I've even found him  sleeping in there a few times when I have come home. It's just that when that crate door closes, he loses all interest in everything and he goes bonkers. He pees, poops, drools about a gallons worth of drool...poor thing. He had even learned how to get out of the wire crates...he bites and bends them. I even had a plastic and rubber kennel that he magically found his way out of. He is just totally freaked out by the crate!! I want to take him home for the holidays but I really need the option of leaving him by himself and when left unattended he does rip stuff up as puppies tend to do. HELP! Any suggestions on super duper hefty crates or other options?

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 10 month old pup with crate issues!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:10:34 pm »
bumping.  No idea on a different kind of crate.  And I know it sounds slightly discouraging, but it has only been 3 months.  He's probably had some kind of traumatic experience where he was trapped or something with a closed crate!  Just keep doing what you're doing.  Positive reinforcement, try sitting with him and close the crate door just for a few minutes at a time and see how he does with that.  Good luck.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:01:29 pm »
I agree that the crate issues must be a result of something traumatic before he found you.  If you haven't already, now may be a good time to look for a behaviorist in your area. You have to be sooooo careful though, as many of them think that physical methods are the way to go. Look for someone who is into non-violent, reward based training and talk to them. I emailed a lady a bunch of times about my last dog, and eventually we set up a time to meet and she aggreed to evaluate her for free. The information she gave me was invaluable and helped a lot. Sometimes finding just the right way to help the dog feel safe is all it takes.  Best of luck.  :)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 06:07:34 am »
I'm sorry that your pup is going thru this!

We had a springer spaniel about that age that hadn't been crated and when we moved into our new house went thru some pretty major separation anxiety so we needed to crate her and it sound like your situation.

She drooled so much she was soaked and soooo smelly when we got home.  So here are some of our suggestions - put something with your scent either in the crate if the pup won't eat it or on top of the cage.  Leave either the stereo or the TV on for pup.  Cover the cage so it thinks it is night time.  What we wound up doing is building a stand; attaching the crate to it and allowing her to look out the window while we were gone.  It was kind of hard because once I got pregnant I couldn't lift the 50 pounder up there; so we had to make steps, I also always gave her a small soft treat (so she couldn't choke).

Finally if nothing else works I would call the vet and ask for the name of a good behaviorist.

Best of luck to you!!

Randy & Harley

Offline robbinaj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:26:56 am »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! It makes me feel a bit better that I am actually on the right track. I have been thinking of meeting with a behavorist but haven't gotten around to it. Thanks again!

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 04:41:56 am »
Thats a great suggestion Jenn. Jasmine does just fine in her crate, but we have the laundry room gated off for her, so we leave her crate open and that is where she lays/sleeps, but she isn't confined to it when we are gone. We plan on eventually doing the same thing with Goliath after he is a bit more trained. :D

Offline robbinaj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 04:15:25 am »
I do have a 'mud room', thank goodness. He is perfectly fine in there and he loves it...it's his own personal space. I am really concerned though because I feel like I am just instilling bad habits in him by not crate training. I am also concerned about taking him away with me especially over holidays. I may try an excercise pen which will give him more space and hopefully make him feel not as chlostrophobic as a crate does. does anyone use these...are they realiable?