Author Topic: Doesn't want to potty when wearing his new Gentle Leader??  (Read 3107 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Doesn't want to potty when wearing his new Gentle Leader??
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:12:12 pm »
I picked up a Gentle Leader on the weekend and I think its fantastic!!  I actually feel like I can let him meet people/dogs and still have control!

One thing though......he takes forever to potty while wearing it!  Strange, huh?  I can put his choke collar on and he'll do his business within a few minutes.  But with the GL, I can stand out there for 20-30 mins and still nothing, try again later and still nothing.  He will wait until he alsmost does him job (both) in the house before he will potty while wearing the GL.

Anyone have any clues on this one?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Doesn't want to potty when wearing his new Gentle Leader??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:04:36 am »
maybeeeeeee it's because the gentle leader keeps him so much in check, the slightest resistance tells him not to go in the direction of where he wants to "go."  have you tried (if you have a yard) taking just the leash off to see if that's what it is, or are you unable to do that?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:04:00 am »
maybeeeeeee it's because the gentle leader keeps him so much in check, the slightest resistance tells him not to go in the direction of where he wants to "go."  have you tried (if you have a yard) taking just the leash off to see if that's what it is, or are you unable to do that?

I agree....the gentle leader can be a great tool, but it must be introduced properly and for many dogs, slowly. It is not for all dogs, as some dogs - especially those who are very touch sensitive - see the lead as just too aversive.  These dogs should not be subjected to it and instead I recommend the "sensation harness" which is the same front control concept, but on the chest and not the face.

You may need to allow him off the gentle lead to potty due to the high degree of face control it imposes.  You should also ensure that you follow the 14 day introduction process for the gentle leader to ensure you dog does not interpret it as aversive/or punishment - this process introduces the lead very gradually to ensure people don't put it on and walk out the door as if the dog will understand it immediately.  If he does see it as aversive, he will be reluctant to do a lot of things he wants on it by design.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 08:50:32 pm »
Good update.  Teddy is getting more used to it and will actually "do his thing" when we are outside.  We generally wait longer between trips outside now too so that probably helps (not a bad thing in my opinion!).

Now that I have it, not wearing it is NOT an option!  Even in our own back yard, if the neighbour was out and talked to us, I would be dragged over and the neighbour would be mauled by an overzealous 140# puppy.  Not all of them appreciate him the way I do!  LOL!  The GL prevents those embarassing events of being dragged across the lawn!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 01:50:09 am »
great!  i love the GL's too!  do you have a problem with them slipping off?  axle has a shorter snout, so ours would slip off easily.  if you do see this post.  also, if you want something sturdier that is a little thicker / sturdier than the GL's check it out!
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,14952.msg181482.html#msg181482

steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 02:29:05 am »
Maybe you need to tighten the nose piece on yours?  Teddy was able to paw his off, but its not loose enough that it would ever just slip off. 

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 05:40:23 am »
it won't tighten up enough for it, axle's nose is bigger round than it is long :(
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)