BPO Training Forum > Behavior, Housebreaking, Obedience

Big Dog Gardening/Landscaping challenge?

(1/3) > >>

Jen:
Anyone out there have help for my landscaping challenge??  My Male Great Pyr is a tall leg lifting pee-er, we built a new house last Feb and last spring we formally landscaped the front yard with expensive hedges and perinnal garden.......t his spring everything is DEAD! >:(  Before I reinvest all that money does anyone know what well survive in my Pyrs unrinal??  I put lattes around my back yard gardens but it doesn't look right in the front yard so I am hoping to plant things that will survive.  I don't want to seperate the yard resricting him only to the back because his favorite place is keeping gaurd in the front yard, he would be devastated if I took it away. He never poops in the front it's only a urine issue.  Please help,  it looks like my green thumb fell off!

Jen

newflvr:
Two ideas that I used with my female Newf that were pretty successful.  There's a product that you give the dog orally that neutralizes the urine so it won't burn the plants.  I can't remember the name of it....but all the major pet stores carry it.  The downside is that it's pretty expensive for dogs the size of a New or a Pyr.  The easiest tihing is to put about a 1/4 cup of tomato sauce in with his food.  That seemed to work just as well!  With my present male I take him to the "pee" spot for his first morning pee that I think is the most concentrated and then try to hose it off the plants later in the day (IF I remember, IF I seem him do it!) ::)

mastiffmommy:
 ;D hehe, sounds like you will be doing some planting again. But it is depressing, when you spent both money and time to make your yard look good. I am using something called Green-Um tablets for all my dogs, it works pretty well, there are other things on the market I am sure they work just as well, but have not tried any other than this one. I also know that there is a product called Dog-Away, that you can use indoor and outdoor to make them stay away from shrubs, flower beds etc. I think it is made by Farnam, not sure though.

To the previous poster, you use tomatoe sauce, does it make a big red mess, or can you use it without having to hose your kitchen down after each mean lol....
It definately sounds like a cheaper way, especially with large dogs.

Marit

newflvr:
Just mix the tomato sauce in the food and it's no more of a mess than any other mess a Newfie makes while eating!! ;D  I heard of this through a real estate agent that has dogs and she didn't want them messing up her landscaping.   

mastiffmommy:
Thanks, and even though I dont have a NF, I have the same slobber, drooling problem with mastiff and bullmastiff. But the biggest droolers of them all, were my danes. I even mopped slobbers from the ceiling lol.....

I will absolutely try the tomatoe sauce, since that will save me a smaller fortune.

Marit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version