Author Topic: The misery of Temp Living  (Read 2508 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
The misery of Temp Living
« on: October 16, 2005, 09:30:52 pm »
Rocco's wild ride....
This morning, I took Rocco out without his gentle leader on a flexi leash to go potty.  I was shutting the patio door when all the sudden he bolted.  I remained strong and held the leash and hit the ground hard.  I have a nice bruise on my chest, a skinned knee and the a gash in the palm of my right hand.  (I am right handed.)  I held strong to the leash and when Rocco realized what he did he made haste back to my side and started kissing up.  I had the breath knocked out of me and was light headed but ok until..... a nice guy who saw the whole thing asked if I was ok.  Then came the crying fit.  The poor nice guy didn't know what to say so he made small talk, made sure I was ok and went to work.  Rocco of course knew he was in trouble and glued himself to my butt for the rest of the morning.  I can tell he feels awful but it was my fault, I should not have taken him out on just the flex without the gentle leader.  I learned my lesson.

The Poop Saga...
I can't seem to consistantly get two poops a day from both on the same days.  Maia will hold it and then poop a horse pile.  Rocco just gives me nice soft, smearable piles.  It is hard for them to concentrate on their business when there are children or other dogs everywhere.  I admit I get frustrated after walking them for a couple miles after each meal and nothing.  Maia has yet to eat both her meals in full on any day.  She just picks and the guards what is left from Rocco.  We have never had food issues before.  I am going to start mixing rice into their food to solidify Rocco's poop and to encourage Maia to eat hers in one sitting.  I'm sure once we get settled into a rountine things will work themselves out.

The Barking Dilemna...
I got the coolest things at PetSmart.  They are little boxes that let off a high frequency whenever the dogs bark.  This has eliminated their alert barking which for now is good.  They were barking when the girl upstairs walked, granted she walks really loud for such a small girl.  Other barking triggers were horns, knocks, other dogs, kids yelling, and all other random noises.  The two magic boxes I got have worked really well though every once in awhile it hurts my one ear. 

I just have to keep thinking I started out with 48 days now I'm down to 43 days, I can handle this.  I will never do it again so this is a once in a lifetime learning experience.  I can do it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GR8DAME

Re: The misery of Temp Living
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:46:45 pm »
I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. Relocation is always tough on our babies, and thus tougher on you as well. They will adjust, it just takes time. Sending good thoughts your way,
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 09:49:51 pm »
Yeah...it is frustrating.  They will adjust.  All they know is different now.  :)  Hang in there...they'll be fine soon. 

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 11:00:08 pm »
They will get use to everything in time. Sounds like a big adjustment for all. Good luck ;D

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:09:27 am »
I have contacted a trainer.  While I am living off company money and being bored, I might as well spend my money wisely and try to nip some issues we have.  Hopefully, we can work through Maia's fears of men and some other dogs.  Also, we are definately going to work on Rocco taking off like this morning.  Plus, it will give us something constructive to do and burn off energy.  Right now, I need anything to look forward to even if it is an hour with a trainer. 
Thanks,

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 12:37:53 am »
I'm sure once they get into a routine things will get better for you. Good luck  ;D And I feel your pain, with the leash and Rocco and ground. Dilbert did that to me once too. and boy does it ever hurt.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 01:20:13 am »
Sounds like life is never boring for you, always something going on.

Ouch about Rocco taking off and you going for a spill.  Keiko has done that to me before when I lived in an apartment.  Going out to potty she would always run out the back 3 steps.  Well, in the winter they are covered in ice.  Usually I could catch her before she took of, but on some occasions, I went flying down the steps, landing on my back.  It is not a fun experience, but it certainly is a learning one.

Gunther gets distracted about pooping, too.  If anything is going on outside, he doesn't want to go.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 05:00:20 am »
And to top it off...I had to void my contract on the house I'm buying.
The sellers are fighting me on every issue, they won't let the clause of the house appraising out or I'm out, they won't pay for Radon removal is the test comes back positive, they seem to fight me at every turn.

I get to start all over again with househunting.
Thanks,

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 05:16:53 am »
Aww that sucks. I wonder why they are being so un co-operative?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 06:07:52 am »
Too bad about the house.

But Jacksmom is right, there must be a better one waiting for you out there.