Author Topic: Question for those who've quit smoking  (Read 6759 times)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Question for those who've quit smoking
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 04:56:58 am »
I think most folks cough up a lot more gunk the first weeks they are off the cigs.... it is the bronchioles adjusting to cleaner oxygen.  That part should get better, along with his sense of smell and taste.

I have to disagree to this. I have quit twice and my hubby once, and that never happened. And I use to be a chain smoker.

The smell and taste is true though and sometimes not for the better.

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 09:50:54 am »
i quit 5 years ago.  still crave them to this day!  i actually have dreams i am smoking a cig.  i also coughed up mucus.  he may be coughing so hard he actually is vomitting.  i think alot of people cough alot right after they quit.  it is the body's way of ridding itself of foreign substances and toxins.  i quit cold turkey, no patch.  it was very hard.  had panic attacks and anxiety.  gained a ton of weight too.  could matt be sneaking and smoking?  if you wear the patch and smoke it will make you sick!  tell him goodluck!!!   
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 11:25:40 am »
Forgot to mention another option.  Med called Wellbutrin.  Acts as an antidepressant but also is highly successful in smoking cessation.  A good friend of mine could not tolerate the patch and went on wellbutrin with excellent results.  She is smoke free.  Everyone is different.  One method I will warn you against is the nasal spray or the nicotine inhalers.  We don't use them here much because of the serious side effects and hospital stays. 

Count me in as a Wellbutrin success story! I tried everything, the patch (would get home from my non-smoking work, rip it off, and make up for lost time all evening) gum (made me puke), hypnosis (faded after a few weeks) acupunture (felt great, but I still smoked) even those things you clip on your ear (looked odd, made my ears sore). 
When I tried cold turkey I had horrible depression, mood swings, trouble concentrating, and two fender benders.  The Wellbutrin made it easy. You can still smoke while taking it, after the first week you just don't WANT as many cigarettes, so it's easy to cut down. Then you can start taking out the ones you think you really need, like the one when you wake up, or after meals.  The Wellbutrin (also marketed as Zyban) helps even out the highs and lows, so you don't feel the need for that nicotine "boost".  It took me about 8 weeks 'til I smoked my last cigarette, and about another month to make sure before I stopped the Wellbutrin.  I've been smoke free now for more than SEVEN YEARS- and have no desire at all- even when other people light up around me. 

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 12:25:04 pm »
i actually have dreams i am smoking a cig. 

I do that too.

I don't crave it all that much this time, but the last time I quit for 15 months a wanted one everyday. I guess I finally gave in when I got in a very stressful situation 3000 Miles away from home. This time I pray alot that really helped with not craving a cig.

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 04:01:03 am »
Well, I tried the patch and it made my skin all hot and itchy so I quit using it which really sucks cuz I was hoping it would work!

Josh tried it too and he had horrible nightmares, so bad that he was scared to go to sleep. That was about four years ago and we are still smoking. Cigarettes suck.

Good luck to Matt, maybe he can do better!

Steph

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 12:35:16 pm »
COLD TURKEY! since 8/11/05. I gained 10lbs, hubby says I'm quite NASTY (oh well) its getting easier. Haven't cheated. I couldn't breathe so it was go to the doctor & tell her "I can't breathe" & the answer would be "QUIT SMOKING" so I opted to guit on my own after about 30 years. Good Luck!
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 01:10:20 pm »
Well he's going to talk to Dr. Ski this week.  (His real name is "Golasarski", but I'm lazy and just say Dr. Ski.  Matt does it too.  I'm such a trend setter!)  He hasn't worn the patch for a few days now and he says he feels better.  But he's smoking again.  BOO!  Granted not as much (4 or 5 a day) and he's on Ultra Lights as opposed to Cowboy Killers, but still........
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 04:04:25 pm »
If he can't tolerate the patch, seriously talk to the doc about the Wellbutrin.  Since it's also an antidepressant, it does help a LOT with the behavioral stuff. 

A friend of mine decided that she had to quit--she wanted to get pregnant, and was approaching 40, and figured that she was running out of time.  She'd been smoking since she was 15--tried the gum, tried the patch, tried hypnotism--but it was the Wellbutrin that  finally did it for her, and she was barely even bitchy!   

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2005, 04:05:50 pm »
I talked to him about it last night.  He did say that the dr mentioned something about it and he'll ask when he talks to him again.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."