Author Topic: Saint pup in need-kill shelter- OK  (Read 30712 times)

Nicole

Re: Saint pup in need-kill shelter- OK
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 03:22:09 am »
Thanks for the update!!!! I have to leave my office now, but I'll check back for any news. Drool Girl-you have my number! So, give me a call if there's anything I can do right now!

I'm so happy she's not going to get put down! WOOOOH!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 05:29:17 am »
Awww that is such wonderful news. I'm thinking the spots on her neck sound like hotspots which is easily treated with a $15 spray and usually clears up in about 2 weeks.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline DroolGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia/Dewette
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 06:03:39 am »
Whew! OK... I just spoke with Amanda, the Animal Control Officer, who has arranged to have Amelia/Dewette picked up from the vet tomorrow, even though they are officially closed on weekends. I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with Dr Hecht, and I am so relieved that Amelia got treatment today. She had what the vet described as a "dinner-plate-sized hot spot" that needed to be debrided (if you don't know what that means, just know it is gross and painful). The wound was full of maggots. They shaved off all of her mats, cleaned her ears, treated her for fleas, hookworms, whipworms, tape worms and coccidia. She had multiple injections of antibiotics and steroids, and is being held overnight to minimize the risk of further maggot infestation- to let the wound close a bit. (I understand that the shelter is 'sort of' climate controlled, but there are lots of flies and it stays hot). She will be returning to the shelter with oral prednisone, to help resolve the hot spot, and spray with both antibiotic and fly retardant. The excellent news is that she is heartworm negative. Woo-hoo!

The vet assured me that she is definitely a pure-bred Saint, but he also told me that she is probably 6 years old. She weighs around 85 lbs, but is grossly underweight, and should rapidly gain weight now that her intestinal parasites have been treated.

So... I do not know how all of this news will affect anyone's offer of help, but I am so relieved that Amelia is not suffering anymore, and that we are working on getting her into a good home.

We have until Monday morning to make a plan. I will cover her vet current bill- less than $200- and I will do anything I can to facilitate/coordinate a transport. What we need now is a destination.

My name is Heather. My email is mooheather1967@yahoo.com and my home# is (910)675-8952. I will be away from the phone 10a ET-7p ET on Saturday, doing a transport and an adoption event. Answering machine and email are always an option.

What a whirlwind way to introduce myself to BPO. Thanks for being here, and for being here for the dogs! I can't wait to really meet ya'll!

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 06:15:10 am »
That is so great that you have helped her sooo much. I am sure she is going to make someone a special dog. We had a lady at our yard sale last weekend with a Saint. They found her out on the road very skinny and with many of the same health issues. She has gained a ton of weight and she was beautiful. They said she is a super sweet girl and they love her to pieces.Kuddos to you for helping her out. :)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Nicole

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 07:23:25 am »
WOW! HEATHER! You are SO amazing! My lord, woman!

Ok. If she can get here, we can foster. I don't know how far I can go, though. OK is a looooooooooooo ng way from me!

But, we need to work on a "permanant" home because I don't think that Mark will be too happy about fostering yet another "challenged" dog. We just brought Mabel in a couple of weeks ago, and we're still working on some of her challenges. They're so minor, I'm not complaining, but you know how boys can be.

If we can get this thing rolling, I'm down. *gulp*

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 07:59:20 am »
OK I can go and get her out on Monday, I am actually off work on Monday. I could either drive her to another drop off or bring her back to my house and then we make plans for transport in another direction. I could keep her for a few days or until next Saturday and then start driving in some direction to meet someone. Any suggestions?

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 08:07:56 am »
Had another thought, We can post on the train rescue for transport- We could also call on the local St Rescues to help for transport. Let me know your thoughts and where we would need to get her transported to, what direction and I can start on it in the morning.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:55 am »
We're in northeastern Oklahoma, near Kansas and Missouri.  We could help transport if she needs to come this direction.  Just let us know how we can help.

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 01:28:18 pm »
I emailed Amanda Fri. AM.  She said someone in North Carolina paid for the vet bill.  YAY!  I'm willing to be part of this, even if I could just foster her.  I'm probably sticking my neck way out there (w/ hubby!)  but don't y'all think 'Annie & Amelia' is way too cute?
bigdogs@5501 PM me for my # and maybe we can make this happen for this sweet girl!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 01:58:09 pm »
OK, DUH!  :P  I'm a bit slow.  At first I thought Amanda, the AC officer, and DroolGirl were the same person!  Heather, you're in NC, right?  And you're the one who paid the vet bill?  YOU ROCK!!!  I'm still hoping I can foster Amelia, but we're so far apart.  It's going to be so great to see how her story unfolds.
BPO'ers are the BEST!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 02:03:07 pm by happiday »
Salli, Annie's mama!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 08:25:33 pm »
BUMP
So do we have any update- any idea which direction the sweetie needs to go? I am only off on Monday and will have to go back to work on Tuesday,so if I go and get her- it would have to be on Monday. I think that we have at least one person closer to her than I am- but I dont mind helping out in any way that is needed.

Nicole

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 09:47:51 pm »
Yes. Heather paid her vet bill and was the original poster. (Drool Girl)

She's in NC and can't foster. But obviously she ROXES cuz she paid the vet bill for this baby. I can't help you get Amelia to you in Cali, but I'm more than willing to help put together a transport.

Nicole

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2007, 06:59:33 am »
BUMP for my homegirl Heather. (The OTHER Heather! Ranger's mama!)

Offline DroolGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2007, 07:37:39 am »
At this point I guess we should check in with the shelter on Monday morning, find out how Amelia(Saint) is doing, and ask Amanda(ACO) to call the folks who have left messages or sent emails-- in case some of them are not BPO folks looking to get more info.

Maybe someone relatively local will want to adopt or foster Amelia. I will post any info I get.

Nicole

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2007, 07:49:07 am »
Good call, Heather. We should definitely keep up with this. But, I'm really ready to help Heather Swissy get this girl!!! I'm so excited that she's considering her!