Author Topic: Why I love clicker training.... ETA Video...  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Why I love clicker training.... ETA Video...
« on: May 11, 2007, 01:00:02 am »
Ok, due to many things I've been slacking in the training department with the crew for a while. So last week I figured that I would start doing some lazy training... aka clicker training. One of the reasons that I love CT is because you barely even have to move. You just sit on the couch, have your treats in one hand, clicker in the other and just sit, wait and watch the dog! Its very relaxing. Smile I only do CTing in 5-10 min increments, because it takes SO much focus and concentration that it wears them out quickly and fries their brain. lol

I've been focusing on Zeo lately, since she is an insane neurotic Border Collie(sheltie too, but I'd swear that she's all BC!). I thought that I'd work on teaching her to fetch her tail. Its something that my old girl Tika used to do and was one of my favorite tricks to watch. We'd say "get your tail!" and she'd catch it, then when we said "Bring it here" Tika would do this funny crab walk over to us, carrying her tail in her mouth. It was hilarious!!! Obviously, I couldn't teach it to Mojo (um, aussie... no tail!), so Zeo is the next bet.

Last week I start with Zeo and it takes a couple minutes for her to start offering behaviors since we haven't done it in a while. Finally she starts moving around and I keep clicking her everytime she looks to the left. As soon as she realises it and keeps offering it, I then hold back on the click until she looks further back. Finally we stop on her looking directly at her tail and offering the behavior continuously.

Fast forward to today. I grab Tenchi some Innova after his acupuncture appointment, then when we get home I pour a little in the bowl to see if he's going to eat it. The phone rings, so I go sit on the couch with the bowl on my lap while I'm on the phone. I then notice Zeo standing in front of me doing this odd dance???

Then the light goes on in my head... she is looking at her tail!!! I'm sitting there on the couch with "treats" so she thought it was training time and picked up right where we left off! ROFLMAO So I think that we are going to do some CTing in a little while since Zeo is so eager to "play" again.

Gotta love that clicker training!

ETA
Don't mind the angle, its hard to click, treat and record at the same time!  lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKu3v2efnMY

I just put in a couple second clips of each session from today, that way it wouldn't be too boring.  ;)  (oh look, dog moves, she clicks and then treats... and repeats... fun... yawn)

As you can see by the end, she was really getting the hang of it.  Think of it like a complicated game of Hot & Cold.  :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:51:09 am by Moni »
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Anakalia

Re: Why I love clicker training....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:16:49 am »
That's awesome Moni! I've never done the clicker training but it sounds very interesting and easy!  OR maybe you just have super smart pups that catch on quickly.  When Zeo masters fetching her tail you MUST get a video of it, I would love to see it!  How's Tenchi liking the Innova?  Koby loves that food so much he gets the shoe string drools when I'm getting it ready for him! lol

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:19:14 am »
Oh Moni - that is great - and so funny! Zeo wil be grabbing that tail in no time.

I long time ago, I had good success with Ellie and clicker training. Now I just have to get off my bum to start doing it again - so she will walk by a dog without turning into a demon ...lol

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 02:05:18 am »
Hi,

I haven't clicker trained but I know the company very well, In my working life i sell printing equiptment and we do some printing at our shop. One of my best customers is Sunshine Books?AKA Karen Pryor clicker traning.

We print the logo's on the clickers. Here is their link if you want more info. Really nice people over their.

http://www.clickertraining.com/
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why I love clicker training.... ETA Video...
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 04:53:38 am »
Andi,
Tenchi wasn't too thrilled with it at first, but I"m guessing that was because he had just got lots of yummy treats at the acupuncturist.  I'm sure he'll be more interested tonight.

BTW.. love Karen Pryor
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Why I love clicker training.... ETA Video...
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 07:33:32 am »
omg how cute!  i wish my dogs were food motivated like that!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]