Author Topic: ENGLISH MASTIFF THAT IS SCARED OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD...  (Read 10599 times)

Offline kawigreen1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
ENGLISH MASTIFF THAT IS SCARED OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD...
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:24:44 am »
I AM HOPING SOMEONE ELSE OUT THERE HAS AN ENGLISH MASTIFF AND CAN HELP... I HAVE A 1 YEAR OLD MASTIFF DINKY- HE CAME TOO US FROM A BREEDER IN LAMAR CO. AT 3 MONTHS.WE HAD 2 LABS ALREADY SO HE FIT RIGHT IN WITH US AND THE OTHER DOGS VERY LAZY BUT PLAYFUL AND HAPPY. HOUSE BREAKING AND BASIC OBEDIANCE WAS A BREEZE HE IS WELL ADJUSTED AROUND THE HOUSE. AT ABOUT 4-5 MONTHS WE STARTED TO NOTICE HE WAS VERY NERVOUS OUT OF THE HOUSE/YARD WHEN OTHER PEOPLE ARE AROUND HE IS VERY WEARY AND HIDES IF POSSIBLE. IF A STRANGER {TO HIM} TRIES TO PET HIM HE PEES.... AND ONE TIME HE POOPED. AND THIS IS A REAGULAR PROBLEM NOW WHEN HE IS CONFRONTED BY WOMEN IT SEEMS THE WORSE HE WANTS TO JUMP OUT OF HIS SKIN IF ANY STRANGE PERSON WANTS TO PET HIM. WE LOVE HIM TO DEATH HE IS A VERY WELL CARED FOR DOG INSIDE LIFE AND ALL THE FOOD HE CAN EAT WE WALK HIM 2-4 TIMES A WEEK BUT HE SEEMS TO GET WORSE I TOOK HIM TO THE VET TODAY HE PEED 6 TIMES IN THE HALL AND WAITING ROOM AND ALL WE WANTED TO DO IS WEIGH HIM  {145LBS}PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE HAS A SIMILAR EXP/ OR DOG ...   

lorim2

Re: ENGLISH MASTIFF THAT IS SCARED OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 06:29:52 am »
I have an 18 mo OEM...Marley has been very well socialized since we brought him home at 8 wks.  He was very shy around other people at first but we put him in puppy kindergarten and keep the training  going for purely for socializing... Hes still a little scared of new situations but we continue to take him out on a regular basis...Unfort unatley they get a ton of attention because of their size...Hope things get better for you...You might start with someone close to your family and make it a point to see them everyday until he feels comfortable... then add a new person and just assure him hes ok...Hope that helps some!!  By the way, welcome to BPO

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:31:21 am »
After thinking some more....the best thing I know is "Socializing"  I am a  firm believer in that...I take my big dogs with me everywhere../

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:34:09 pm »
i am by NO MEANS actually speaking from experience, but i read that mastiff are very emotional dogs. they feed off of their owners reaction as well. Peyton was sort of scared all the time (pee and crawl in it at times) when she would meet new people. the vet told us to tell her what is going on in a normal dog tone (normal human tone i guess as well) and just let her know that we are okay and that because we are okay she is okay too. don't baby talk to her cuz then i guess it condones that it's okay to be scared and that he would be a good boy to be scared. you don't want to do that.
i was also told that if she pees all the time when she meets someone new, it's called submissive peeing. but what you are talking about doesn't really seem to be the case.
when dahlie juju brought us hospitals, maybe just maybe, if you give him a purpose for something, a job, i wonder if he would feel better knowing that he is doing his part and that without him everything would fall apart?!
anyway, thanks for letting me spew ideas. and again...really i don't know what i am talking about!  :P
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 02:47:22 am »
Hi and welcome to BPO.  I'm Misty and I have an English Mastiff (just turned 1 year last month) named Gracie.  She's nervous around new people who are excitable when they meet her and also children here lately have made her a little nervous.  Also, tall people make her a little nervous as well.   What has helped Gracie become more comfortable is constant socialization.  We go on walks everyday.  We spend a lot of time at the dog parks and we are also very active with an obedience group and take a lot of classes.  So far I've only seen her display the submissive peeing once and than was when a friend squealed and threw her arms in the air in excitement to see Gracie and that totally freaked Gracie out.  So she tinkled a bit.  I actually practice being calm to encourage Gracie to remain calm when she is greeted.  As for the baby talk, I've used the method that Peyton's mom was explaining.  Now, I don't for a second believe the dog actually understands the words that I'm saying but I do believe that when I say "Gracie, that is a boy on a bike, Gracie, that's the door bell, or Gracie, that's thunder" I think that it's the tone that keeps her calm and I use the same phrase every time we see a boy on a bike and or it thunders and she freaks a bit.  Again, I have no idea if it's the words she remembers  or if it's the fact that I tell her to remain calm by saying the words using a calm tone.  Either way, it's been effective for me.  My advice is to continue to socialize the dog as much as possible.  Be consistent and don't reward the dog when he is being nervous.  Meaning don't stroke him or baby talk him like Peyton's mom described.  I think you should keep in mind that your pup is still pretty young.  A one year old is still very much a baby.  Be patient with the big guy.  I wish you luck and please come back and tell us how your big baby does.  Also, we'd love to see some pictures of your dude. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 06:44:01 am »
Hi There and Welcome, I'm Kim mom to Libby an EM who is now 5.5yrs and she came to us at 3.5yrs. I don't have alot to offer that hasn't already been said socialization is the key. When we are out for our walks, if Libby shys away from something(trash can) we turn around and walk by it again and again and agin until she is able to sit beside it with out a flinch ~ I don't talk to her or touch her(that would reinforce a negitive behavour with a positive)as far as people coming to your home ~ can you crate him till the company has been in for awhile and calmer ~ explain to them not to touch or get excited when Dinky comes around let him come to them, have a female friend that is calm give him treats (always from a female if that is what he is most afraid of) we did that with Libby in the beginning as she wasn't used to living with children ~ whenever she came near them they gave her a treat(something super special ~ after awhile she thought those little things(kids) were the best cause they always had yummy treats. Remember just cause he is a big boy he is still a baby and learning ~ talk to your vet and see if they have a problem with you bringing him in for a bi-weeky weigh in sometimes just go sit in the waiting room, have the girls give him treats and then leave. How are your other dogs? Submissive/dominate is he neutered? Does his confidence build when another dog(buddy) is around? Wishing you tons of luck,and like the others can't wait to see some pics.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 06:45:28 am »
Quote from above...

Now, I don't for a second believe the dog actually understands the words that I'm saying but I do believe that when I say "Gracie, that is a boy on a bike, Gracie, that's the door bell, or Gracie, that's thunder"

Oh how I was cracking up! I do that ALL the time, people look at me like I am crazy thinking the dog understands what I am talking about! Hahaha! I am glad I am not the only one! And everyone we meet, I call them friends! I say that "is that YOUR FRIEND?" and then I say their name and keep saying "friend" so she will understand that the sound that "friend" makes my voice crack is a happy sound that she can understand. I was talking about my day and work and when I said "blah blah blah my friend blah blah blah" Peyton picked up her ears and got all excited.

Anyway, good luck with everything! Keep us posted as to how he is reacting to others in the future!

Offline kawigreen1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:58:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the great advise- this is my new favorite web page im overwhelmed with the response! I have been doing the things everyone mentioned,I have 1 other lab now boo died 1 month ago... and dinky loves her and is fine around her and the house and is much more comfortable at the dog park when she is there but he is still scared if she is not right next to him.they play rough all the time good natured stuff only no fighting he is really well adjusted around things he knows its just strangers mostly women i have done most of the repitition things explaining circumstances and purposely encountering things that scare him and he does get over them for the moment but then will get scared again at the next challenge i tried taking him to work and driving with him but left him in my truck one day for 10 minutes someone came up to the window to pet him and he pooped in my truck... omg!!!!!!! 5-6 hours of clean up and i do take him to the vet every week for weigh in but he always goes in ok but when the vet or asst visit him he gets all worked up after 5-10 minutes of forced calm socialization he calms to the point where he will accept treats but wont eat them. we love diny to death so we will work through this but it sure is frustrating he is such a beutiful boy! and as said above he gathers all attention when he is around.i need cezar milan to stop by and straighten us out. thanks everyone... by the way what dog park do the denver mastiff owners frequent...   

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:04:18 pm »
I think it's a great improvement that he is excepting treats at the vet...even if he is not eating it. Is he still peeing when he is there (other than the first initial nervous tinkle)?

That's a bummer that he pooped in your truck! Is there a way that you can possibly put up a sign saying please do not pet dog. He is great with people but poops when greeting new people? It would make them laugh and maybe even not want to touch the dog. I know it's a long note to stick to the window...but ya never know?! I hope the smell came out from then.

I wish you all the luck in the world to help him overcome his nervousness. The way that you describe him makes me think he WANTS to do all these fun things, but is just very cautious about new people. Do you know his past?

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:34:13 pm »
I think it's a great improvement that he is excepting treats at the vet...even if he is not eating it.

That's a bummer that he pooped in your truck! Is there a way that you can possibly put up a sign saying please do not pet dog. He is great with people but poops when greeting new people? It would make them laugh and maybe even not want to touch the dog. 

I think that's great as well. Not to worry that he won't eat the treats at least he's taking them ~ Libby won't eat them either  ::)

I have to tell you if I saw a sign like that I would laugh so hard I'd pee my own pants ~ just kidding that's awesome!!

Sorry to hear about your other lab  :'( thats good that he feels confident with your other dog around can she come with you to outings?

Good luck you will get through this ~ yes it is very frustrating, they are so big and gentle but fraddy cats, keep us posted & where's the pics??? We want some pics NOW !!!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:39:16 am by LibbyP »
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

lorim2

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:28:23 pm »
Sounds like you guys are on the right track!  Its an ongoing thing with Marley..Hes loves going out but still has issues...the dominance thing with other dogs and hes still pretty scared of wild kiddos and ppl that are acting weird!  haha I am kind of scared of ppl acting weird!  but he loves going so much we just keep on trudging forward and its gets better and better...Anywa y...I agree with LibbyP...pleas e post some pics!

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 01:28:06 pm »
Hello....I have an almost 3yo used to be fraidy cat eng mastiff....odi n.  I must concur with the socialization thing.  We brought odie home at 8weeks and had him in puppy kinder immediately (i just went with the local pet warehouse options at $99 for 6 wks of basics but they had other classes for older pups).  I, like marleys mommy, have taken my big boy with me everywhere i could.  He was sared to death of car rides.  Now he draws so much attention when i have the top down on the vw bug and his face is flappin in the wind!  He use to hide behind my legs at the pet store but now he greets all furry critters with a wagging tail and ears back and chest held high.  When we first moved to the coast, our neighbors land was neeing mowed so they had their riding mower sitting outside.....yo u would have thought it was a ghost by fraidy cats reaction.....w e had NEVER heard him bark til that day!  He is still terrified of water......i just think these guys are born into the world with adjustment issues and sheepish dispositions and it is up to us to help them become confident.  They draw copius amounts of attention so i think the more socialization and reward for positive social behaviors..... the less frightened responses you will get.  start with a class and maybe start with another small dog.  Im no expert but i know i tried to socialize odin with a big well trained rottie of a friend when odie was a pup and Cain kept mounting my baby so we immediately seperated them and i focused on little dogs.  Odin is truly a gentle giant when it comes to the little ones and he let them have their way.  Now, he isnt afraid of most (even scorpions!) and he is a proud prancer, except when he gets in trouble for pawing my cusions off the couch!  hehe  Good Luck! 
karma is kewl!