Author Topic: Kentucky's first day at school and she got . . .  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Kentucky's first day at school and she got . . .
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:27 am »
A BIG FAT "F"!!

It was so embarrassing. She barked the whole time and kept trying to get at all the other dogs to play. No one could hear the instructor half the time. All the dogs were little dogs (except this super sweet pit bull named Lexi who is now 'Tucky's best friend) so they were petrified and couldn't focus on what they were supposed to be doing.

To make matters worse, Kentucky wasn't at all interested in the treats so we couldn't get her to do ANYTHING. And it's not that she's stupid. She already knows "sit" and was doing really good with the impromptu private lesson she got from a different instructor at PetSmart last Sunday.

We were mortified and poor Aaron is so discouraged now. He doesn't want to go back because he's so embarrassed at her behavior.

Has anyone else had these issues? Please tell me they get better.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Icerotti

Re: Kentucky's first day at school and she got . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:59:18 am »
sorry but I did have to laugh at your post. The first night of obedience Farley kept choking himself...maki ng these gawd awful choking sounds. So much that the instsructor ask if he had "throat problems". ::) The next week was much better.
Tucky was prob excited....hop efully next week will be better. Don't give up  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:00:01 am by Icerotti »

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:48:14 am »
well if anything the worse they are to begin with, the more they need the training! ;D just hang in there. it's bound to get better, try having a good hard exercise before training, that could do wonders.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:04:54 pm »
Thanks for all the advice and the reassurance that my dog isn't the worst dog in the world. I forgot to mention that as soon as the class was over I let her go around and "get to know" a couple of the bigger dogs. This must have really pleased her as she promptly dropped a huge stinky load on the floor.

Anyway, I had thought of bringing the cut up hot dogs with me so, with your advice, I'm definitely going to do that next time. We did take her for a walk before the class, but maybe it wasn't long enough and we had been told not to feed her already.

I'm praying next time will be better. Keep your fingers and paws crossed.

Also, does anyone use the clicker?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:16:26 pm »
Well I must say it does get better. We had a golden rescue in our class when I first started that was a total nut case. He is now working on his utility title. He finally calmed down and started working for his owner. It took a lot of patience on her part but it is doable. If she did it with this golden I believe anyone can. She'll make you pround at the end of the session.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 05:20:18 pm »
Wellllll, he lays on his side and kicks his legs.  It looks like he's swimming but without water, of course.
HAHAHAAAA! Lily does the same thing!!! Every time we do long "down stay" she looks around to make sure everybody is waching and starts this swimming thing, LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:57:48 pm »
I'll start by saying that we had our level 2 class with an old english sheepdog...tal k about barking!! The little spaniel (not good with little dog breeds) whined the whole class every class when he wasn't actually moving....but it's obedience and if they were perfect they wouldn't be there ;) Phelan is also VERY social so we would go a little early and get to meet all the dogs before class started so he was less attentive to the other dogs. I found the clicker very useful in class and have recently brought it back out so that his response time gets a pick up. We also used dried liver treats (Benny's Bullys) during class only. He loves them and knows still if we have them that he has to be on his best behaviour...re ally the difference is amazing. If you're having all these distractions in class you're lucky - really you now have a trainer who can work on them with you ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »
we got the "OMG look at that dog!" thing when we went, too.  so what we did was showed up about 30-45 minutes early, let axle walk around which got his excitement out and got everyone in the store used to seeing him too.  this way, everyone was calm and relaxed and used to everybody (and it gave him a few minutes to get his extra energy out).  i guess it gave him "desensitizing" time.  also, lunch meat works good, because it has that STRONG smell to it (just be sure to use REALLY small pieces)!

modified to ad that we always took axle potty right before classes when we did that because if we didn't he HAD to go and didn't care where he was.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:18:32 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]