Great Danes > Great Dane Discussions

Someone explain this to me

<< < (2/4) > >>

nettrek4:
   I completely agree, it's the little dogs who will bite you, and the smaller they are, the quicker they bite.  I'm not talking about puppy play-nips, but deliberate aggresive biting.  Anybody who knows much about dogs already knows that is true.
   And I'd like to add my oppinion about dog parks - I don't like them..Of course that's easy for me to say, I live in the country and don't need one.  But there are so many dogs who are not properly immunized, who carry parasites internal and external.  Many parks are not cleaned properly, considering the number of dogs who use them, and not all owners are considerate enough to clean up after their dogs.  So here is a reservoir of parasites and disease - why would I take my dog there?
    Too bad I don't live nearby, I could bring a half-dozen collies or so over and they could all play themselves into an oblivious nap!
     Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies

dohertyswissy:
I'm so sorry to hear that happened to Jack.  I have to agree that a lot of people have irrational fears about big dogs, when the truth of the matter is that most of them are more passive than their smaller counterparts.  Heck - in our puppy kindergarten class it was the pug who had to go into "puppy timeout" for his poor behavior.  LOL!  My Ranger is just a big ol' teddy bear!  A 67 lb. puppy who thinks he is a lap dog and just wants to be friends with everyone!  I don't know how old Jack is, but we found that obedience classes were a great way to not only spend some quality time with the pup, but for him to be socialized to different types of dogs and people.  We are very lucky that our neighbors with dogs have been very responsive to having Ranger play with their dogs... and most of them are much smaller than him.  It is a shame, though, because I'm sure that if people gave Jack a chance they'd know what a sweetheart he truly is!  Is there any kind of breed club in your area?  Maybe you could get involved with them and possibly have a sort of "meet and greet" with another breed club of a different giant breed variety?  May I suggest the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Club in your area!!  LOL!   ;)  Just thinking that it would be a great way for Jack to meet other pups and be with knowledgable, responsible pet owners who love giant breeds like us!  If you are ever down NC way, Ranger would love to play with Jack!   :D   

GR8DAME:
I actually don't mind if people are a little apprehensive about my dogs. I live in suburban Chicago, and although not a bad neighborhood we do have the less desirable big city element pop up occasionally. I do not have to worry that my 11 year old daughter and her freinds are playing in our fenced in back yard, I can walk my dogs at 11pm and not worry that someone is lurking in the shadows. I had a mailman that used to walk up my nieghbor's driveway with a can of mace in his hand because he had to pass within 8 feet of my fence, and the dogs didn't even bark at him, or rush the fence, they just stood there and watched. I waited for him outside one morning and told him that if it made him feel better to hold that mace, that it was fine with me. But as long as my dogs were on my side of my fence if he ever used that mace I would have his mace, his job, and his a**. He has since changed his route and our new mailman comes and pets the dogs over the fence, and love on them all of the time.
As for your neo lady, if she finds your dane too intimadating, she should find a new route to walk. It's her problem, not yours and certainly not your beautiful dane's. Find a breed or big dog club in your area and stick with people that have more sense to socialize Jack.
Stella

Luvmydanes:
I agree about smaller dogs being far more vicous than big dogs. My 2 year old son got bit in the face by a dauchund (sp?) about 4 months ago, and to this day, he points to the scar on his face and says "dog bite" and is deathly afraid of small dogs. My husbands mom has a dauchund and he wont go anywhere near it. It is nippy as well. It will chase the kids around and jump up to try and bite them. And his mom is always saying how he is just playing. Playing or not, no dog should chase kids around to try and bit them. She really does think its ok. And when he is scared of her dog, her only response is "that happened so long ago, why are you still scared?" He got bit in his face! I'd be scared too! And Dane? Not a violent bone in his body!

Kandi

Luvmydanes:
Thanks Tina. :) I think he's pretty special too.

I too, am ok that people are aprehensive about Dane. We live out in the country on 5 acres, but I still have the fear of someone breaking in our house, and the thought of my 140lb great dane standing at the top of my stairs would be enough to scare anyone away.
The other day there were inmates cleaning up the side of our road when Dane just went off barking. He has a very deep, loud bark, and I went out to see what was going on and overheard them talking about him and how huge he was. Kind of funny. The guy closest to Dane went to the other side of the road when one guy said "oh he's ok, he is on a run" and the other guy said "I dont know, he's huge, if he wanted off, he could get off" LOL. I do definately feel safer knowing Dane is here when I'm home alone.

Kandi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version