Author Topic: Email about my newest foster, Sandy  (Read 1130 times)

bigdogs@5501

Email about my newest foster, Sandy
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:54:49 pm »
I feel that I can make a difference in Sandys life- My heart was literally breaking when I thought that she had been put to sleep, thankfully the person who sent me this email and sent Sandy to me- Saved Sandys life.

Guys say a little prayer- My knuckleheaded, really well rounded group has intimidated her already but they all also know not to cross me so they are not being mean.

I am going to try and take some time out and get some pics- but this is why I am devoting my life to rescue.

Hi Paige,

Thank you for the update.  I will now sleep better knowing she is safe and alright.

She has a long and sorid story, maybe it will help you understand her behavior a bit better.  This is something I wrote about her this past week, trying to sort thru what all has happened to her that I know of in the past few months. Who knows what she had been thru prior to this.  Sorry this is so wordy, maybe you can skim it and get the gist.

Sandy and her brother lived out in the woods in Canton for months.  Everyone knew they were out there but there are so many dogs in the woods after Dog Alley/First Monday, as long as they didn't cause problems I suspect they were left alone.  Sandy was just barely drying up after a litter of pups and when I got her, and was barely pregnant again.  Who knows how many litters she may have had in her short lifetime.

Sandy and Sam were "captured" by the shelter when someone drove out to where they were, opened the truck door and told them to get in.  They got in and ended up at the shelter.  They were there for about 3 weeks, MUCH longer than usual because of unrelated circumstances.  I got them both on February 1.

Sam, Sandy's brother, looks just like my Eli who I got from the shelter in Canton almost 3  yrs ago.  They have to be related.  Put them side by side and they are identical, except that my Eli is bigger.  Sandy is also very similar - walk her thru the vets office and everyone says "Hi Eli!".  One vet even commented on how Eli looked like he lost weight.  I had to laugh and tell him it was Sandy he was talking to.

When I went to Canton to get them, I had a plan - a foster home, medical care, etc.  By the time I got back to Nacogdoches and called the foster family to tell them we had arrived, it had all fallen apart.  Amazing what can happen in 6 hours time.  So S & S lived in a large, vacant storage building on a friend's property while I tried to figure out what to do for them.  They were quite content in the building, they could play Frisbee in there if they wanted to (they didn't) and Id come walk them 4 - 5 times a day.  But it was a storage building and not a home.

The shelter offered to let them stay there and get some exposure to people.  Sure enough, soon after they got there, Sam was adopted by a wonderful woman.  Sandy has been waiting.

Sandy developed what the shelter said was kennel cough, my vet disagreed but she still had to leave the shelter for a while because she was considered contagious.  The foster family who wanted both dogs previously, stepped up and said she would take Sandy and get her thru her medication time. 

I knew (NAME REMOVED) had 7 dogs in the household but thought she was much more dog experienced than she actually is.  (NAME REMOVED) is a wonderful person with a huge heart.  But said she didn't want to "stress Sandy out" by giving her rules, having her do things for food and treats, etc.  Apparently there are no rules at her house and its a bit of a free for all. 

After about a week I started hearing about "attacks" where Sandy would jump one of her dogs.  I talked to (NAME REMOVED) about it, she said when her own dogs would not leave Sandy alone, Sandy would "attack" them.  After much questioning, I discovered no blood was ever drawn, no one was ever taken to the vet, no one was ever injured or even sore the next day, including the Shi Tzu who we know Sandy's 85# could squash him like a bug.  Sandy just wanted to be left alone and didn't know how else to tell all 7 of them this.

Sandy went back to the shelter after her course of medication.  I didn't know at the time but she was then labeled as aggressive towards dogs and therefore, by extension, children.  So anyone who wanted to adopt her could not have other animals or kids.  So there she sat.  Once I found out about this I pulled her back out of the shelter and she is now in boarding at the vets office.

I go walk her daily, did when she was at the shelter and do now at the clinic.  I have never personally seen her become aggressive towards another dog with the exception of Sam, who she would growl at occasionally when he would get, shall we say "too personal".  (this was before her spay).  She has met many of the dogs at the shelter and never made a move to harm them.  Today she met the clinic cat - she wasn't impressed and after a good sniff, walked away.

Yesterday there were some Sheltie looking dogs who came into the clinic lobby when Sandy and I were walking thru.  The little dogs were doing everything but handsprings.  I had Sandy sit, she and I watched them run around.  Sandy did not try to eat, maim, kill, or otherwise harm the little dogs. 

Sandy needs boundaries.  She needs rules, she needs to know what is expected of her.  Months in the woods, who knows what before that, she needs to know what is okay behavior and what is not.  I have her sit for food and treats, sit before going in/out of her kennel or putting on her leash.  She sits when I feel she is getting stressed and doesn't know how to handle something - such as with the Shelties.  I have her sit next to me, leash slack, and touch her head for reassurance.  And she is fine.  Great, in fact.  She seems to get nervous sometimes and looks to me for reassurance. 

Sandy loves to ride in the car.  The biggest problem I have with that is she thinks she has her drivers license in  her pocket and can drive better than me.  She also thinks that's a great time to sit on my lap - NOT.  With a little encouragement, she will be a great rider like Eli.

Sandy is housetrained.  She will hold her bladder for hours if needed.  She had plenty of opportunity to mess in various places she has been, but has not done so.  Sometimes she may come running out of her kennel and pee right outside the door, but will NOT use the bathroom, so to speak, inside.

Sandy has done well with every dog I have introduced her to.  She just doesn't like a pack in her face where she can't get away.  She is quite interested in other dogs, likes to sit and watch them.  I suspect she had always had Brother by her side and he took care of things for her. I think she took her cues on behavior from him.  Now she takes her cues from me.  I'm glad she is able to bond with a human, sometimes they have been so traumatized they can't anymore.  She certainly can.

Sandy is a mellow girl. In fact I hadn't even seen her run until she had been with me for about 5 weeks.  We sometimes lay in the grass, her head on my shoulder and her legs up in the air, watching the clouds drift by.  That is one of my favorite times, I think maybe hers, too.  Sandy likes closed in, safe areas, which I find odd for a Pyr.  She made a nest in the storage building where she moved some plastic tubs around from the corner and had a hidey spot. 

Sandy is a gentle giant.  She has some fear issues, and as long as you are aware of that and can work with her to help her feel secure - touching her, having her sit, reassuring her you are there with her - I think she would be a wonderful addition to a family.  I have high hopes eventually the fear will dissipate - with routine, calmness and consistency in her life I think she will blossom.  I have been her one constant the past two months.  With very few exceptions (weekends) I have spent at least 30 minutes with her each day since Feb. 1. I've watched her grow from a terribly unhealthy dog into a beautiful, more confident girl.  I think she can gain so much more ground with the right kind of structure and love.  I have high hopes for her, and I do believe she will achieve them in the right setting.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Email about my newest foster, Sandy
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:29:38 pm »
Aw Paige, she sounds awesome.  She also sounds like a lot of dogs on the Shy K-9s group that I joined.  They have a lot of great ideas for helping shy dogs but it really sounds like she is already a step ahead of some of them. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 10:43:32 pm »
She does sound awesome!  I can't wait to see pics of her and I'm so glad that she is ok!  Congratulation s to you & the person that sent you the e-mail.  You've both done very, very good!!!   ;D  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:30:35 am »
Sandy sounds like such a sweetheart. I'm glad she's safe with you.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven