Author Topic: I have a question maybe you can help ?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
I have a question maybe you can help ?
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

My friends kids are bugging her for a puppy. The have gone to the pet store and always want her to buy a puppy none of them are under700.00 and that is'nt even the point the pet store that sells them has ha such a bad rating for puppy mill puppies sick and dying dogs.She has 3 kids young the oldest is 12 they want a non-shedding low maintance dog good with kids. Now i have dogs and they are great with kids but kids must respect the dogs. What kind of dog would be good for them? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: I have a question maybe you can help ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:39:39 pm »
I always discourage getting a puppy for a family with small children. Opt for an adult rescue dog - about 2 years old or older for the following reasons:

1) you know exactly how big it's going to be
2) you know what its temperment is. With a puppy, you don't really know what kind of natural temperment its going to fall into and, if you have a busy family that may not have the extra time to dedicate to properly training a puppy, that puppy could very easily end up being rehomed or, even worse, at a shelter
3) older dogs are much easier to train/retrain than a puppy (most of the time).

For non-shedding breeds, you'll have to look at schnauzers, poodles or cocker spaniels, but any dog will be low-shed if it's brushed daily - which is a great way to get the kids involved in taking care of the dog and bonding with it.

I think some of the best 1st-time dogs for kids are:
golden retrievers
boston terriers
chow mixes (note: MIXES!)
and most mutts
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:57:01 pm »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

I already tried that i explained maybe they should try the pound SPCA or a rescue group. There mother said we really want a puppy well one of mine came from the pound and she was 9 weeks when i got her. I just think with kids a puppy is a lot of work mother works father works kids are busy i just don't see how there will be time for a puppy? Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:11:06 pm »
I totally agree that pet stores are to be avoided at all costs.  Also, if $700 is too much for a puppy, they need to be sure they can afford food, vet bills, etc.  That said, I think getting a puppy is an ideal way to teach kids about being responsible and caring for something.  I don't understand why so many rescues won't adopt out to responsible families with children.  We were turned down by rescue b/c we have a child and I know we provide great homes for our dogs and I think it's nice for children to grow up with a dog.  There are a lot of puppies on Petfinder though competition can be stiff.  She could also check with shelters and be put on a waiting list if they approve the family. 
It is a LOT of work to have a puppy and children (we have an 8 month old baby) but if your friend is up for it, I'd say go for it.  Just be sure to remind her that puppies bite and chase and jump, etc. so if her children are nervous in any way about dogs, an older one might be better.  Beagles/mixes and retreivers/mixes come to my mind as good first time, "kid friendly" dogs.  Good luck to your friend!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat