Author Topic: unexpected swim session gone wrong!  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
unexpected swim session gone wrong!
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:23:23 pm »
okay people! so what is wrong with my newfie?? my fumble???  we were at the ORV beach today, where you can have dogs during the season...  well!!  we walked out toward the ocean because it was low tide... wellllll... needless to say that stacy and i both had sweat pants on because it's been damp and rainy here... so we walked out and we went through a little bit of water, basically only like 4 or 5 inches tall... well we walked out, tried to take fumble for a swim but he chickened out!  so we walked back... however tide being as it may that it goes out, it comes back in, and quick!  so we were walking back and tide was coming in pretty fast and the water was up to our knees/thighs... fumble decided that when the water reached the bottom of his chin he was going to stop, DEAD IN HIS TRACKS! and well tide just kept coming... and fumble's head kept getting smaller and smaller..  i let the leash go and figured if stacy and i kept walking that maybe he would follow, nope just stood there with those "deer in headlight" eyes, as if to say "you're actually leaving me here, you my mom and auntie are leaving me here, i'm going to drown in this water, they're walking away and i'm going to drown.."  well i walked back in the water (in my sweatpants none the less) and went to get him and he jumped back like 2 steps, so stacy gave it a shot.. she pulled and pulleD!  until finally after being a wonderful specitcal during the most popular tourist week on cape cod fumble decided to pummel his way to shallow water!  i swear!  this weekend!  we're going over to the beach, and i'm going swimming! and fumble's coming with me! whether he likes it or not! this newfie needs to learn that the water isn't scary!  it's either this or throw him off a boat into deep watER! lol!!!

i just thought that all of my fellow newfie owners would love to know that my fumbs has completely shattered my dreams of thinking he could ever be a wonderous rescue newf someday! lol!!  ::) he drives me crazy this one!  absolutely crazy!!   
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: unexpected swim session gone wrong!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:27:35 pm »
Have you thought about signing up for water rescue training classes through your local Newf Club? 

We're having similar issues, but going backwards.  Chester was a great swimmer until about the last week or two.   I think it's because Cowboy just cruises out to where he can stand and just sort of be washed by the lake currents...but he won't swim.  I think it must be because he almost drown while having a seizure while swimming (maybe his first??  with his previous owner).  Well, Chester now won't go any further than Cowboy.  They both just stand in the water.  Chester has quit swimming!! AGHHHH!!!!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:39:05 pm »
Wonder if it this weird weather this year... And Chester just wants to hang out with Cowboy how cool is that!!  I worry when our two swim, because they are rather uhm exuberant in their swiming, I worry that they will swim too far off and drown or something.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 06:15:04 pm »
Just like Kali. The next water work day is beginning of August. Rich will know more.

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 06:39:54 pm »
Ok I am sorry but the visual of Fumbles stunt made tears come to my eyes from laughter.

Any updates on his swim lessons???? ;) ;D

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 06:21:59 am »
Ok I am sorry but the visual of Fumbles stunt made tears come to my eyes from laughter.

Any updates on his swim lessons???? ;) ;D

oh my goodness! it was definately funny!!  if i wasn't so wet and sandy at that moment i'm sure i would have been keeled over nearly peeing my pants from laughter of this huge dog slowly getting smaller and smaller!  lol!

well update is as follows... went to beach, high tide at chapin beach is not like high tide at other beaches... it's WICKED rocky! and it was only up to my shin for like 500 yards.. plus there were lots of bugs, and stacy wasn't having it! sooo... we nixed it for today!  not quite sure what we're going to do??  i read that at nickerson state park there are a bunch of ponds around the camp, maybe we'll take him up there! ssshheesh!  maybe when we make it down to CT to visit Kali's stomping grounds we can throw them all in the water together!  Winslow, Kali, Sadie and fumbs showing eachother how it's done! 

"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 02:27:44 pm »
We have access to a gunite pool now as we mentioned before, we also have a couple really good lakes, and if anyone is willing to go for a ride and then a hike (emphasis on hike) a great beach on Long Island Sound. I just don't understand these Newfs they'll play in the water all day but we ask them to go in over their heads and it becomes "no way you can't make me!"

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 02:32:43 pm »
update #2 for the day: 

we're saying "screw the rules" and ignoring the "no dogs on beach" sign tonight... we're going to bring fumble over to west dennis beach to the windsurfing side where you can't see us from the parking lot... will update later tonight!  even if we get a fine tonight, it will be well worth it to know that fumble knows that he's a newfie and not a little lap dog! 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 02:40:56 pm »
it will be well worth it to know that fumble knows that he's a newfie and not a little lap dog! 

Hmmmmm...."little"?? 

I'd hate to see a big lap dog then!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 03:24:44 pm »
For Bava, I had to get in the 1st time and lure him in w/ treats and give him treats when he actually swam, but that was just the 1st time., he was ok any other time after that.  It did take a couple of times training to get a good retrieve of the bumper from him.  Now he lives to save the bumper.  Food worked great for him.  For Sophie... OMG! She is insane, She just jumped straight out 5' .. Splash and took off swimming away from the bank, and swam for a long time. I don't know if that was her first time or not, since we got her at 6 months, but she definetly has no fear of water.  Both of ours were introduced in a pond where there are really no people, or distractions, or waves, I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.
  I have to wonder if the waves are scary to them when they're just learning.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 03:26:06 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 06:22:11 pm »
well... we took him over, and it was a quick swim session!! lol!  i know that there are ponds over at nickerseon state park, where i'm pretty sure we'll take him to swim again... he loves the beach! and the waves are a fun game for him, it's just the "not being able to touch" that scares him... butttt... mom wasn't very nice and just dragged him in!  i figured he just needed to realize that he could do it!  i know! i'm awful!  well.. here are some pictures!  the first two are from this morning's outting and then the other ones are from tonight...

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 06:24:36 pm »
Yay! Fumble learned to swim! We knew he could do it.

BTW, I love the first shot of Fumble's big old ghetto booty! Baby's got BACK!!! ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 06:42:53 pm »
I have to admit:  I adore Fumble!!  What a personality!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 04:06:10 am »
Poor Fumbs his Mommy is so abusive.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 12:19:16 pm »
Hehehehehe,  I love the ones where he's heading back to shore then sits his rump down.  "Nope not going back in."

Tina

that's my favorite picture too! lol!!  i don't really remember fully everything that happened, because it all happened so quick! i didn't wnat to get caught or fined.  it's up to 50-100 bucks if the police catch you on the beach property!  so it was a quick in and out, in and out!  but one of the gals at work today told me about some ponds in the harwich area, which ist he town next to us! we'll have to take advantage of those!! get him used to the swimming.  he's so food motivated that i'm sure the treats might work!  i'll keep everyone updateD! 

hahaha! tim tell kali she's a lucky girl to have such a nice father!!  lol! i've been asking stacy for the past two days if she thinkst hat i scarred him for life for dragging his big butt in! she doesn't think so, he just needed to realize that he's got the ability to do the 'doggy paddle'!