Author Topic: I can't read her potty language  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
I can't read her potty language
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:20:36 am »
I have a question for all of you BPO'ers and thought maybe you could help. My friend who introduced me to this site told me about someone whos pups used a bell to let thier human  know they have to potty.  Here is my problem. Gracie doesn't have an "alert" or "signal" that tells me she has to go. Basically I just walk like crazy all the time.  We walk when I get home, wake up, 20 minutes after she eats, and every two hours in between and even on my lunch break.  She's never crated longer than 5 hours max.  My point is after 2 months I still can't seem to understand her potty language.  I pay very close attention to her signals which just don't seem to exist.  She goes when and where ever she feels the urge.  Of course she never gets a negative response and is quickly corrected as it happens. Basically I interupt her and we quickly go outside.  Though she is is only 6 months old I do feel like there should be more consistancy from her and I do know that is my job to teach her.  Obvioulsy I am not helping her to learn the 'house rules' as well as I could be.  Does anyone know how to train using the bell at the door method?  I thought maybe if she could associate the ring with going outside to potty  it would help us both. Any advice at all would be very helpful. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: I can't read her potty language
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:10:21 am »
Apollo *knocks* (gives the door 1 solid swipe with his paw, not really a scratch, more like a solid thump) at the door when he wants out. Where we used to live, they went out a sliding glass door to the backyard, so hanging a bell wasn't an option. I'm trying to remember how we "taught" him, although I think he just "created" the behavior on his own more or less.

Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:34:25 am »
My cattle dog had no "potty language".  It used to frustrate me, so I can relate. I was fortunate that she seemed insistent on going outside (so no accidents), but she would never ever tell me she had to go, and instead just hold it forever (even when I forgot).  I always had to be on top of her and be thinking about how long it had been since I took her out last.  I tried several different things, and I could never get her to adopt a behavior.  The bell might be a good idea. I DID teach Pepper the phrase, "Do you want to go Potty?". It seemed to help once she understood what the phrase meant, and her response would tell me if it was time or not.  Good luck!  Potty training is the pits... I'm in the middle of it myself with Bella.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:42:59 am »
At least you don't have a liar!  Teddy will tell me he wants to go out to potty, only to sniff and sniff for about 20 minutes and STILL no potty!  Frustrating!  Last week I had him out and he did his business and 15 minutes later he wanted out again.  I told him "No, you a liar, you just went out!" so you know what he did?...yup! Big ole' pile of Saint Bernard poo, right in the center of my kitchen! 
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 04:16:37 am »
At least you don't have a liar!  Teddy will tell me he wants to go out to potty, only to sniff and sniff for about 20 minutes and STILL no potty!  Frustrating!  Last week I had him out and he did his business and 15 minutes later he wanted out again.  I told him "No, you a liar, you just went out!" so you know what he did?...yup! Big ole' pile of Saint Bernard poo, right in the center of my kitchen! 
LMAO!!!!!!! :D :D  Well I wont be using your method and call Gracie a liar.  That's for sure.  Hahaha..  Sorry bout that one but I guess in that case he'e the one holding the "lead"...   What a stinker. 

Just a quick 'thank you' to all of you for such really good advice.  Laural, the tip to wake her up during a nap is something I never considered trying.  I really think that may help.  Bluskygirl, good luck with Bella, and Penny, that story is going to have me laughing for a while.  You made my day.  Just when I think nobody understands my struggles, a story about a giant Saint taking a dump on a kitchen floor makes me feel more connected than ever.  I love BPO!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:20:08 am by Gracie Belle »
Misty slave to:
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 05:00:05 am »
Laurel, I'm sorry.  I forgot to answere you question.  What I mean by "we correct her" is we interupt her as she's going by physically moving her outside as it's happening.  We don't shout 'no' or anything, we just say "let's go outside" and allow her to finish there.  Again she is for the most part always in our sight as she is only 6 months old so we know not to allow her any time alone outside of her crate.  I'm hoping this is just normal 'housebreaking' bumps we're bound to encounter.  Again, thank you so much for your advice. 
Misty slave to:

Offline ReneeB

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kryssie is here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 05:15:18 am »
We use a bell in our house... its great.  What we did to get our animals (the cats too), familar with the bell and ringing it was; we tied a bell to the door handle and each time we took them outside we would ring the bell, we would also use their paw to ring the bell by 'pawing' at it, showing them how to make the noise.
It is a simple process our animals have picked up on it quickly.  We are now teaching our new 7 week old, Max how it is done.

I got a package of Christmas bells and tied two to a long shoe lace.  Just ring it every time they go out the door.  When you use their paw to make the noise tell them good 'boy' lets go potty and they will learn.  Most important is consistency and lots of praise.

Good Luck

Renee, (will always love and miss Brayden)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 05:21:11 am »
Awesome.  I guess my confussion lies with the word "no" where pee and poo's concerned as I've always thought that would only confuse her to not go in front of me.  Of course my reactions when she does is what I need to focus on.  What you said makes so much sense. I'm also going to look into Dr. Ian Dunbar who you mentioned as well.  Sounds like there is a lot I can learn from that trainer. 

You've helped a ton.
Thanks, Holly...   ;) 

Misty slave to: