Author Topic: I think I may be.....  (Read 8000 times)

dohertyswissy

I think I may be.....
« on: October 26, 2005, 10:24:30 pm »
...loosing it completely.  That's right, BPOers, your dear friend Swissy may have officially come unglued.  It all started yesterday.  I went to work, very, very groggy.  I figured that it might've been because of the Nytol I took the night before.  Well, as the day wore on it became apparent that I was getting sick.  I felt all hot, my throat hurt, and I was coughing up a storm.  Plus, I had sent an email to a friend describing my feelings about a situation that I thought needed discussing.  Well, the email hadn't been read, so that starting stressing me out.  Mental note - just call the d*mn person.  Anywho, I started feeling all itchy, but figured it was b/c I had worn a sweater to work.  Decided to go to bed early, took some advil, vitamins and off to dreamland.  At 4:30 a.m., I wake up to Ranger peeing in the bedroom.  I had told hubby to make sure that he took Ranger out before going to bed just in case.  That obviously didn't happen, so here I am wandering around in the dark, b/c of course hubby hasn't woken up, stepping in pee, trying to get Ranger down the hall and outside.  Nothing like pee on the bottom of your white fleece pajama pants at 4:30 a.m.  Anyway, I'm cleaning up the pee, and hubby comes out to tell me my method is far inferior to his pee clean up method, to which I just give the evil eye and bite my toungue.  Lucky for all of us, he helps me clean up, or I may have been composing this thread from the local NC jail.  We decided to leave Ranger outside, until he starts barking and waking up the neighborhood.  I settle back into the covers...and MAN...am I itchy!  Too tired to deal with it though, and decide it's best to wait until the morning.  About an hour later, we hear a "BAAARRRROOOO!"  Ranger has decided it is time to wake up the neighbors.  Hubby goes and lets the beast back in the house and we all snuggle in for the rest of the morning.  I'm working from home today, so I was all excited to sleep in.  Hubby wakes me up before leaving for work, appearing to want to get...um....fr isky, to which I promptly give another evil eye.  He brings me coffee instead.  Smart man.  I jump in the shower b/c MAN, I am sooo itchy!  Figure I need to wash off whatever is making me itchy.  Then, I look...and I'm COVERED in HIVES from my neck to my waist line.  I've NEVER broken out in hives.  I promptly freak out, yell for hubby, and Ranger comes bolting into the bathroom to see if I'm dead, almost knocking me flat on my tuckus.  So, I head off to the drugstore to get some stuff for hives, looking like the splotch queen from h*ll.  Then, I decided to get a McGriddle to make myself feel better.  Things have been ultra slow at work, but of course I get like a bazillion people I.M.ing me when I'm sick, sleepy, stressed, and ITCHY!  I've finally put out all the fires and now am resting peacefully with BPO, as is Ranger and Tigger the cat.  I believe they know I'm at my wits end.

Anybody know how to stop this d*mn itching?!?!  I took some Benedryl and rubbed some cream on too.

At least the heater is working now.... ahhh.....

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: I think I may be.....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:30:28 pm »
OM my I hope you feel bette soon. Nothing worse than feeling all itchy. Hmm some calomine(sp???) lotion might work. When I had hives as a kid my mom made me take a bath in baking soda. And that worked. Not fun but it work but I'd try the calomine(sp???) lotion first.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 10:35:20 pm »
I feel your pain, Sister! I woke up yesterday with pink eye. I've been banished to home confinement 'til tomorrow and the dogs don't understand why I'm home, but don't want to play so as I am typing this Oasis is staring at me from the bedroom door whining and whining and since he's deaf now he can't hear me asking him nicely to SHUT UP! Meanwhile, somewhere out in the kitchen, I can hear something being stolen off the countertop.

I'm lubed up on DayQuil, which, contrary to what the box says DOES cause drowsiness.

Can't help you much with the hives 'cause I would suggest Benadryl, which you've already taken. You might try taking a bath in Aveeno, but I've found that only eases the itching while you're in the bath. You need to find out what you reacted to - did you change your laundry detergent or soap? Anything different that would have touched your skin or inhaled (air freshener, perfume, lotion)? I've broken out in hives several times - it's not fun.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 10:36:57 pm »
Aveeno bath is what I used on my kids when they got itchy.  My daughter regularly broke out in hives when she had a viral illness (flu, colds).  Aveeno seemed to help.

Poor YOU!  I'm sorry you had a bad morning, but at least your husband can take hints!!!!

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 10:39:18 pm »
Oh no. Why does everything always happen at once ::)
I get hives from what ever certain companys use to preserve vit E. I use calamine lotion. It gives a great relief to the itchies. I hope your are feeling better soon and your day turns around. :)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 10:40:02 pm »
Sorry you're dealing with hives.  I get them all the time.  Try Oatmeal bath by avino.  Or the oatmeal cream.  It works wonders.  The calamine works good, but don't put any good clothes over it, lol, they'll be pink.  Benadryl cream, and believe it or not, and this sounds gross, but Preperation H cooling gel.  A&D diaper rash cream.  I have an endless list.  As I said, I get hives all the time. ;D
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 10:41:10 pm »
I know the doctors says soak in that Aveno Oatmeal bath for chicken pox to stop the itching,so Im sure it would work for hives.I hope it helps.By the way your story is so funny,not the hives part .Get well soon.What made you break out in hives I wonder?

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 10:44:31 pm »
Did the sweater you were wearing have wool in it?  That usually triggers it for me. 

dohertyswissy

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 10:54:09 pm »
I feel soo loved!  Thanks for all your well wishes guys!  I think I'll definitely go pick up some Aveno for a bath.

The sweater I wore yesterday doesn't have any wool in it, and I've worn it a million times with no problems.  I haven't changed anything, which is weird.  I was at my friend's beach house this weekend and I'm not sure what detergent they used, but I figured that I would've gotten them before now, since I left Sunday, right?

Can stress cause hives?  Or maybe because I'm starting to get a cold?  I've just never broken out in hives before...I'm a Hive Virgin.  :)

Jeanne - I'm so sorry about the Pink Eye.  That stinks!  I agree ... that whole thing about DayQuil not making you drowzy is CRAP!  We'll have a pity party together for our plights.. ;)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 11:10:35 pm »
Stress can definetly cause hives.. and then you probably get more stressed because you have hives, a never-ending circle.

Repeat after me.. Goooz-fraba... (from anger management)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 11:15:26 pm »
People have told me stress can cause hives.Im a hives virgin too.Tell your husband you got hives because hes not helping out enough around the house and its stressing you out.Im sure he would rather deal with cleaning the bathroom other than dealing with a woman with hives.Kinda like PMS

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 11:15:32 pm »
Stress can definetly cause hives.. and then you probably get more stressed because you have hives, a never-ending circle.

Repeat after me.. Goooz-fraba... (from anger management)

Goooz-fraba....that is the funniest word I've ever heard. :D

Anakalia

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 11:19:43 pm »
I've had hives NO FUN!!!  I hope they go away quickly!!  I have a Wellness Guide here I'm going to repeat what it says:

Hives are a form of skin rash that consists of raised white welts mixed with red patches on the skin.  Burning, itching and the formation of smooth patches characterize it.  The cause of hives is an allergic or hypersensitive reaction to drug allergies, severe stress, insect stings, or bites, exposure to weeds or weed venom, and ingestion of certain foods(particularly eggs, shellfish, nuts or fruits.)  Desentitizatio n injections can cause hives due to a hypersentsitiv e reaction.  Certain virus infections such as hepatitis, mononucleosis, and measles can be announced by the sudden appearance of hives.  Hives lasting two weeks or longer can be caused by an allergic reaction to drugs or chemicals such as penicillin in milk, non-prescription drugs, food preservatives, dyes or other food additives.  Hives can also result from animal dander.  Determine the source and avoid in the future.

Ok so there might be many many typos in there I apologize.  It then goes to tell about the types of products to use but they're from a Wellness Company I work with.... SO not much help there, but it does say Allergy medicine will help and so will hydrocortisone .  It also goes on to say if the hives become frequent you may have an underlying disease so you'd need to go to the DR.

I hope this helps you out a bit! If you have respiratory issues I suggest you don't use Calmine Lotion.  It can cause scarring of the lungs and can make respiratory issues worse.  If you do use it make sure you're in a well ventilated area.  Good luck hopefully you'll be Hive free soon!!  ;D

Andi

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 11:21:17 pm »
Im sure that really makes her feal better.Shoot i feel a hive coming on just reading that.

Anakalia

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 11:29:21 pm »
See, I try helping and I make things worse.... that tends to happen a lot for me! hehee 

Sorry didn't mean to scare ya, just thought I'd type what was in the Wellness Guide!  It did have some good info in there tho.   :D

Andi