Author Topic: Dog or baby  (Read 6684 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Dog or baby
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 12:54:07 pm »
From a male point of view and as my 23 year old son is back for the summer prior to heading for college to be subsidised for yet another degree, all I can say is, You can budget for dogs and at least they dont ask to borrow money!!!
Slime flies when you're having fun!

doggylover

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 12:56:37 pm »
I'm 34 and just now starting to think....hmmmm skin kid?  I'm getting this puppy hoping that stops the baby drive.  I really don't like the idea of raising kids in this world the way it is heading. 
 :D

DakotaMom

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 01:19:01 pm »
I love this subject. I am dealing with a thirteen year old hormonal basket case of a daughter.

When she is angry with me she tells me that I love the dogs more than her. My response to her is that they don't argue with me and I know that I will always have to clean up after them.

I wouldn't trade her for the world, but I think having dogs is so much easier.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 01:21:12 pm »
Wonder if Jamie would notice a 7th baby...a little black fluffy boy baby that will grow into a very large fluffy boy

Call him "Jaime II" and say it his son.  Maybe that will do?? 

We did that with our first dog....named him Duffy after our best man at our wedding after whom we promised to name our first child!!!  We just didn't say it would be a furkid!!! ;)

doggylover

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 01:27:00 pm »
Shave one of the less proud dogs bald...that'll do it!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 02:16:41 pm »
You want to get him off his baby kick for awhile?

When  your nephew is born, take him over and LEAVE HIM ALONE WITH THE BABY for as long as you can keep your sister out. Call up a day spa and get her one of those days of beauty gift certificates that gives her a  European facial, a massage, manicure/pedicure, a mudbath or herbal body wrap and a haircut--you can probably spend a couple of hours getting her roots/highlights fixed since she hasn't been able to dye her hair for the last 9 months.  ;)  Keep her out of the house for at least 6 hours, and make sure your cell phones are turned off so he can't call you in a panic.

Believe me after 5 or 6 hours alone with the baby, he'll decide he's not ready for one of his own yet!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 02:25:03 pm »
I haven't read all these posts but why not have both??

I have always owned atleast 2 dogs since having my oldest son Scott 16+ years ago.
When Tristan (10 year old) was 9 months old I added Lucci, then when he was 19 months old I added Cruiser. Bringing the total at the time to~ 2 kids (ages 8 and 2), 4 dogs, 2 cats, one lizard and a husband.
The dogs are just another form of child to me..much as the husband is also :-\

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 02:51:11 pm »
Seriously, if you have any question about whether you want a kid of your own or not, summer vacation is fast approaching, so borrow a few of someone else's kids for a whole month.   Do  not allow yourself to back out at any time, and stick with it for the entire month.  Do not call the parents for advice at any time, if you absolutely MUST ask for help, call YOUR parents.   IF, when the month is over and you return the kids,  1) they are all still living   2)YOU are still living     3) you are not bald or totally gray     Then you could decide whether or not you really *WANT* a kid of your own.

Weedsport, NY

cricket36580

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 04:42:09 pm »
I never wanted kids and was told on more than one occassion that I would never carry to full term.  All I can say is that doctors are lying b******s and they don't their a***s from a hole in the ground.  After the 2nd one I got nuetered.  I HATED being pregnant with a passion.  I do love my kids though.  It's tough for a while but I think it was worth it.  I've always had critters too.  I think that's part of what kept me sane through the parasitic years.  But if you have any doubts, don't.  It would be way too tough emotionally.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 05:32:22 pm »
All I can say is that doctors are lying b******s and they don't their a***s from a hole in the ground.

Yep....I couldn't get pregnant either; it would be a miracle if I did ....tell that to my four kids!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 05:51:17 pm »
When I was growing up my Mom babysat for about 5 kids. I saw all the work that was involved. By the time I was 13 I knew I never wanted children. I do love my furkids and will always have them.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 06:00:18 pm »
Me too!!  I was told by 2 docs I would never get pregnant....tu rns out all I have to do is a few minutes (I said an hour if my hubby asks! ::))of the hippity-bippity and voila...BABIES!!!! 
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 07:56:53 pm »
I remember when I was pregnant with my first thinking why am I bringing a child into this society.  Drugs, murder, a lack of common curtesy, etc.  But I now know that I have made a difference in that world.  I have brought two beautiful souls into it to help make it a better place.

For as long as I live (God willing) I will have both.  My children and my pets.  Who says you can't have it all.

Tina

Well said, Tina! I feel the exact same way! :) We have 5 little girls & we have always had dogs! They have each filled our lives with so much joy! We love having both! :)
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 12:26:05 am »
  I've always had critters too.  I think that's part of what kept me sane through the parasitic years.
Parasitic years...HEHEHE HEHEHEHEEEEEEE EEE!!!...I WISH I'd had dogs then..."cause I did lose my mind & I finally got it back when I got Sam in Nov. of 2004...Dogs keep you grounded!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2006, 05:31:18 am »
Funny... 5 kids LOL  I am one of 8 LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka