Author Topic: Cat question...help!!  (Read 2240 times)

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Cat question...help!!
« on: June 28, 2006, 03:26:41 pm »
Ok, so my cat had kittens almost 7 weeks ago and everything went pretty well. All of them found homes and the last two left this past Sunday. Here's the problem..the mama will not stop meowing! I have been told that they go into heat right after they're weened and that may be why but Im not sure. she is still a little swollen with milk too. How long should it take for her to dry up? How do I get her to stop meowing all the time. All of her stuff is in my bedroom so I dont want to just move her because Gus will eat all of her food if he gets a chance so I have to keep them separated. I tried to put her food higher so he couldnt get it but she eats Gus' food too. I havent slept well in amost a month and I dont know what else to do. any advice would be great!  ???

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Cat question...help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:32:32 pm »
She may be in heat again; side note (a little dis-heartening, but a cat can put herself into heat!), although she should already be drying out I would think.  It might just take her a few more days.  When my dog died my cat howled (he's part Siamese if that tells you anything) for three days.  The only way I got him to stop, and it was a total accident, I brought a blanket in from the car that my dog laid on and the cat stayed on that blanket for the next week.  She may just be mourning.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:35:36 pm »
Oh, well thats another thing, she will not leave Gus alone. Hes kinda freaked out about it b/c when I got her she was still pregnant (unknowingly) and she wouldnt go near him, now she gets up in his face and lays next to him and everything. Isnt that a little wierd. Its almost like shes trying to flirt with him or something. Ive never seen it anyway

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 03:41:17 pm »
I wish I could but to be honest I cant afford it right now. The problem with locking her out of the room is that all of her stuff is in there and theres really nowhere else in my apartment that I can keep her litter box except the kitchen and Im not about to do that. YUCK! Id really like to find her a different home but noone really wants a fullgrown cat unless shes spayed. So I guess Im just out of luck for now.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 03:45:23 pm »
Contact your local humane society, and tell them of your situation.  When you got her was she a stray?  I know the one here or in the next county will help you by giving you a certificate to get a cat fixed if you plan on keeping it.  It's worth looking into.  More kittens are going to be hard to place!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 03:52:22 pm »
I guess I could do that...the only thing is the smell. I clean out her box every day but it still smells and its hard to have people over b.c I dont want my house to smell ya know.? I guess Im just too use to having Gus who's so well trained.haha

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 06:52:51 pm »
I second the litter in the bathroom idea with this-I'd put a short babygate up to keep the dog out and you can put the food in there, too (just keep it far enough from the litterbox for the cat who won't want to eat something that's too close to their box).

Also, try pine pellet litter... I can't think of any names off hand, but the stuff smells wonderful compared to regular cat litter. When cats pee on it, the pellets dissolve into sawdust. You just scoop the poop and flush it (convenient if it's in the bathroom). The pellets flush just fine. I love this stuff. Seriously. It's pretty cheap, too.