Author Topic: I can't believe I did this!  (Read 4059 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I can't believe I did this!
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:03 pm »
I get e-mails weekly from our local human society - Lollypop Farm.  I have been noticing in the animals for adoption section that many of the animals don't have photos - it would seem if a precious face pops out at you you may be more willing to go take a look.  So I emailed them and as I suspected it is because they simply don't have time to take and post the photos - so of course because I'm not busy enough -  I VOLUNTEERED.  So I have to go in and talk to them about times and strategies but it looks like I will be taking some pictures - Ugghh and most of you know I really want a second dog (Actually an American Mastiff) but what are the chances I'm not going to meet my true love there?

I'm nervously excited - I have always wanted to do something with animals!!
 ;D

Kirsti

Re: I can't believe I did this!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:32:07 pm »
Oh CONGRATS!! That would be the funnest job! and who knows, you might meet your true love there!

~K

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:34:32 pm »
You are terrific to be doing this- I am afraid that I would just get in trouble if I volunteered. I would want to bring them all home. Please post pics!!!

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:44:44 pm »
That is a great volunteer job...congrats . Lets see some of your work soon ;)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:09:15 am »
that is awesome - I applaud you!

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 04:02:06 am »
Wow sounds like a really fun job. Is that the Lollypop farm near Rochester, NY? I scanned their pages a lot last winter when we were dogless for a while.

Hope it works out well.

Skippy
Central New York

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 04:18:02 am »
Lollipop Farm actually DOES get mastiffs in sometimes.  I was supposed to go evaluate two for rescue last spring, but they got adopted really fast.  Congrats!  I am glad they finally have someone to take pics for them!

Weedsport, NY

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:06:16 am »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I hope that once I get in and see the organization that I won't be disappointed.  We are supporters of Lollypop farm but haven't gotten a pet from there - we looked at a puppy bassett hount last year but the people right before us took him.  And then they had a flat coated retriever (like Harley) whose owner had died I went to look at him because I was sad for him.  It wasn't a match right away so I told them to call me if he was there at the end of the week; he found a better home!!

I am nervous about falling in love and getting hurt; either by hubby who will say no or something more dire but I feel I should give it a try.

Yes - by the way it is the Lollypop farm near Rochester, NY

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 08:30:16 am »
So I have called over and over they wanted me and now they won't return my calls; I have e-mailed numerous times I don't think I should have to throw myself at them to volunteer!!  Also I don't want to call and complain because if I ever do want to volunteer there I don't want bad feelings - Maybe the person I need to speak to is on vacation or something; I realize how busy people can be but if you have someone willing to help you out I would assume you would return their calls!!!!

I'm kind of sad I was looking forward to this assignment and was gung ho to get started ASAP.

Thanks for listening!

Randy

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:55:12 am »
I'm sorry that you haven't heard anything back from them.  Perhaps you should be the bull in the china shop and show up with your camera and a portfolio of some pictures that you have taken and tell them how excited you are to help out and get started.  That way they have to deal with you because you are standing in front of them.  good luck and I hope they get back to you soon.  Please, post pics when you get started.

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 12:00:54 pm »
OK So I'm an impatient loser!!  They called this afternoon  I am going to go Monday to meet with the other photographer and learn the ropes - I can't touch any of the dogs until I have gone thru volunteer training the first 3 Mondays in November!!  But I can get a volunteer to hold the leash while I photograph!!

Happy again!!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 12:54:24 am »
That is so nice of you to do that.  Does your camera have the red eye button?  Do you have a good graphics program so you can edit the pictures? 

I do editing, and if you don't have a program, or a red eye button, pm me and I will fix them for you till you get it all set up.

:)
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 02:47:47 am »
Congrats!  I can't go into Lollypop.  I find it too depressing.  I'm so glad that you will be able to help!  I've always wanted to do something like that but we are so far away.  I did get a call from our local Pyr rescue group looking for help the other day so that was kind of cool.

I ran across a rescue site the other night with AWESOME pics.  I'm thinking they probably have a professional photographer helping out.  Check out their pics of the animals.  Hard to say if you'll have enough time to be able to do much but this might give you some ideas:

http://www.joyfulrescues.com/
Daphne

Anakalia

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 02:55:35 am »
Congrats!!  This is so exciting!!  Thank you so much for helping out dogs in need.  Pictures definitely help dogs find their forever homes!!!  ;D