Author Topic: More advice needed.  (Read 1618 times)

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
More advice needed.
« on: February 19, 2006, 11:47:35 am »
Ok so I posted the other day and told everyone about my new pupy Justice. Well, she is doing fantastic. She got a bath is getting more attached to me by the day. Gus on the other hand, is not liking this very much. Im sure he will get use to it eventually, but Im worried. He ignores her when she tries to play with him and he has even snapped at her a few times when shes just standing there. Is he jealous because he's use to having me to hmiself or what?

GR8DAME

Re: More advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:59:59 am »
It sounds like Gus is asserting his alpha status with the little newcomer, and trying to teach Justice (love the name) her place. You can ease things along if you reassure him that YOU know he is the top dog of the two. Feed him first, allow him in and out the door first. Greet him first as well. It will require a period of adjustment, but they can get along just fine once the boundries are established.
Stella

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:00:20 pm »
When I got my newfoundland puppy Allie , my newfie mix , Moose , HATED her ! I always thought he would just love to have a puppy around to play with since he's such an active , fun loving dog but he'd growl at her every time she tried to play with him , he's pout in the corner if I played with her and not him . He really ripped into her a few times when she'd just continually bug him but then one day , he just decided to give in and now they are the best of friends , you can hardly let him inside together because they play so hard they knock furniture and kids over ! It really only took about 3 weeks for them to get along . Hope this helps ! :)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 12:28:23 pm »
Thanks guys. That does help. I've been trying to reassure him and let him know that I still love him just as much, and that the puppy is there for his benefit. Justice has so much energy and so does Gus, so once he does get use to her it should be a fun pair to watch. We just got a couple incehes of ice here so its hilarious to watch them slide around on it when we go outside. She just follows him everywhere and he has peed on her head a couple times because she was way to close to him. Shes eating like a horse and pooping at least twice a day if not more. im use to Gus only going once every day or so and only having to feed him every couple of days. I like it though, keeps me on my toes. haha