Author Topic: Does your pyr bark?  (Read 3520 times)

Kiahpyr

Does your pyr bark?
« on: October 01, 2005, 11:21:46 am »
I've heard that pyrs bark a lot. Kiah only barks if she's outside and wants in. That's very rarely. She doesn't even bark to go outside. She scratches at the door and makes a little whimper if she really has to go. She is almost 7 months old. I've read that pyrs find their voice around 9 months. Is this true? Or am I just lucky? I'm curious on what I am in for.

Spook

Re: Does your pyr bark?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 12:41:02 pm »
Hiya!

well our male Pyrenees Freyr only barks if he is outside and one of the dogs that lives next door barks at him. However our 4 mo old female pyre damia will bark at anything..wind, leaves, other dogs, dust.. cars ect. I think it really depends on the Pyrenees. We keep ours in the house at night cause i have heard they tend to bark more at night than during the day. Our female took Forever to kennel train we finally ended up putting her kennel in the bedroom and then she quieted down.. guess she knew what she wanted and wasn't going to settle until she got it! so now we have all three dogs in the bedroom with us.  I think part of the barking (certainly not in every pyre) has something to do with how dominate they are.. our Male is pretty much henpecked all the time by our two girls (we also have a fila brasileiro) but from day One Damia has been a little nitwit about whose going to be the boss.

~Beth in AZ

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:23:34 pm »
NONSTOP. Busa barks at everything. When he is in the house, if he can see any movement outside he barks. Sometimes, he just lays in the dining room and lets out a bark every thirty seconds or so just to let whatever he is barking at know he is there. It is so annoying when I am home all day with him  because he barks at nothing . He will stop when he gets sqiurted with water but starts right bace up again when you turn around. He is laying in the backyard right now barking at the air. I am sure he hears something that I don't. Anyway, I LOVE him even with his barking ways!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 09:37:07 pm »
Sugar Bear is my non-barker. He is 15 months old and has maybe barked 20 times in his life.  He thinks why bark when a good sweet wimper will get you what you want every time.  When an if he barks at something I will take notice.

Dixie Darlin barks at the air.  She will be sound asleep and bark a loud bark in her dreams.  She love to chase and bark at birds, she even tries to climb trees and bark at the same time.  When she give her guard bark she will only quite down after my husband has checked it out and told her it is ok. 

Rosie (lost last summer) did what I called clock barking.  She would not sleep inside at night she wanted to be out guarding her property.  She would bark at 11pm, 2am, 4am every night.  When we lost her I could not sleep at night without her barking.  I will not let Sugar Bear and Dixie outside at night after my bedtime. Up until then they get to go in and out the door door.  I just live with it when Dixie wants to bark inside, they sleep in there own room so it is not that bad. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 12:02:18 am »
When Samson was younger I didn't think he'd ever start barking...Now I don't think he'll ever stop!! :-\ Pippin only barks at what is really barkworthy...S ometimes Samson will be going off & Pippin barely opens an eye filled with annoyance...lo l!

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 12:00:45 pm »
Lucy:  (Pyr/border collie mix) barks at every strange/new noise & "the air", I'll check to see what it was that upset her, but it is sometimes silly --  today, she barked 'cause she had never heard keys jangle before!  LOL!

Bella:  (pure Pyr) barks when she feels the house is threatened (first time Roger came by to mow after she was adopted I heard her barking, investigated & found them facing each other through the window barking at each other......(just a plain crazy sight!  he he he)...when she barks, I know to go & check

Casper:  (Kuvasz, not Pyr)  barked a little when first adopted, now - one year later - he is way too comfortable with the noises in the house & yard to bother....he will alert & go to check out a situation if he feels it is necessary - he moves extremely quickly & silently.....w ouldn't want to meet him by surprise in a dark alley!!!....but not very often - so when he does it, I know to follow & check it out

Pearl:  (pure Pyr?)  Very rarely barks.....has started whining when she thinks she's missing out of the fun the other 3 are having....mayb e she just needed to get comfortable & find her voice???

LOL!!
 ;D

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 01:16:13 am »
The general rule of thumb is "Pyrs only bark at things they can see and hear, like butterflies at 10,000 feet...lol

Truth is.. "Pyrs only bark at things they can see and hear, like butterflies at 10,000 feet".

However, these are the guidelines I have observed.. Pyrs are definitely barkers.  If they are in a pet home, they usually bark less.  If they are a guardian or spend most of their time outside they bark more.  The individual personality of the dog will effect how much he/she barks.  If you have more than one Pyr, it will effect how much they bark.  Many things effect how much your Pyr will bark but all in all, they are barkers.

The main thing I tell puppy buyers is that it is most likely that they will be a barker, take that into consideration when buying a pup, and never thing you are going to break them of it.  They bark to let the world know they are on guard if nothing else and it is part of their genetic makeup.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
[/b]
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 06:04:44 am »

If they are in a pet home, they usually bark less.  If they are a guardian or spend most of their time outside they bark more.  The individual personality of the dog will effect how much he/she barks.  If you have more than one Pyr, it will effect how much they bark. 

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
[/b]
Samson barks if he thinks Pippin might bark...lol!...Pippin just looks at him in disgust at his random barking! :D