Author Topic: Truth is stranger than fiction  (Read 5518 times)

cricket36580

Truth is stranger than fiction
« on: May 18, 2006, 06:02:03 am »
Ok...Dixie called and said there was a full blood dane at the shelter and was I interested in pulling it for rescue.  Well, duh!  Of course I am. So she sent me the pics and the info on him.  I went ahead and fwd it to a breeder friend of mine because it looked like one of her pups.  So there's another rescue also looking at him so I go out to the shelter cause I REALLY want  this dog.  He's a harl, 125#ish, and intact.  Well, when I get there the shelter lady says he's been placed with the other rescue.  Well I go in and take a look anyway cause you never know, right?  Well he looked very familiar to me.  So I told the lady that I've made some calls and sent the pic out and could we hold off on everything?  Nope, he's going in to get neutered tomorrow morning...  ()Today)  Well, ok...  So I go on my merry way. (this is where I pause and tell you about the little Anatolian pup there...I'm getting pics.)  Well, last night was pool night and I get a call right before I'm supposed to play.  It's this dogs owner!!!  The shelter hadn't scanned him for chip and hadn't looked at him for tats.  He has both.  The guy is camped at the shelter this morning to get his dog back.  It was a pup of my friends after all.  The guy had sold his house and moved into an apt and had taken the dog to a friends to live temporarily.  The friend hadn't even called him to tell him the dog was missing.  Go figure.  I'll keep you guys updated.  I've asked the guy to call me and let me know what happens.  He's an EMT here...a good contact for me to have...  lol so I won't hear from him until tonight sometime.

Oh, and btw....Our shelter has absolutely NO night answering service or pick up.  I didn't realize that before now.  Where I used to live, we had an ambulance service that worked all night and answered critter calls when not on a run.  When I win the lottery I think I'll install a critter ambulance too...

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Truth is stranger than fiction
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 06:25:17 am »
I think I will give them a call again today, and see what happened.  I am just so glad we e-mail the photos out and found the dog.  I would be ready to kill the "friend". 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 06:51:08 am »
Isn't the point of getting a dog "chipped"?  So that if he gets picked up, he gets scanned and the owner can be notified??  I can't believe he was going to be neutered BEFORE they even scanned him!!

Makes me glad I didn't waste my money on getting Teddy chipped.  What's the point anyway if that is what happens?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:59:13 am »
Time moves so freaking SLOW when you're waiting on something!!  Another whole flipping hour before they open and I can call...

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 07:51:24 am »
Isn't the point of getting a dog "chipped"?  So that if he gets picked up, he gets scanned and the owner can be notified??  I can't believe he was going to be neutered BEFORE they even scanned him!!

No offense to our local shelters, but I doubt many of them even have scanners.  I've been looking on Ebay at scanners, I've thought about trying to buy a few for our vet and the shelters.

PS: Great job, you two!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:52:07 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 08:53:54 am »
Cricket, may I cross-post this?
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Maltese

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 09:42:02 am »
Hi, this is Shannon.  I am the guy who is the owner of the Great Dane that was at the shelter.  I was there this AM before anyone showed up for work.  When the Dog Catcher showed up, I told him I was there for my dog.  He said he would be right back.  When he came back, he told me there was a problem.  He told me he had been adopted and was going to be picked up today.  I told him they have the problem, not me.  I informed him that Maltese has a chip and a tat.  The guy was blown away.  He said that they should have scaned him and even found the tat.  Well, when the ladies of the shelter showed up, the informed me they did scan him.  So, they got both of the scanners out and rescaned him.  No chip found!  I then told them about the tat.  She said that she looked in his ear and mouth, but didn't think to check his inner right leg.  She said she will never make that mistake again.  Well, I got him back and he is at the vets for a complete check up.  The vet scanned him and didn't find the chip, so he re-chipped him for free.  He will be staying with the one person I trust, besides myself, Susan the breeder.  She has a bunch of Danes and is a wonderful breeder.  I thank GOD that Cricket e-mailed the pics to Susan.  Because people like Cricket and Susan, My 4yr old pup is ok and still INTACT!  Thanks again Cricket, your awesome.  I will post pics of him soon.  I have to goto work now.

Thanks, Shannon and Maltese

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 10:06:11 am »
Wow what a crazy story.  I am so glad that you were able to get your dog back!    I can't wait to see more pictures of Maltese.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 10:06:48 am »
Shannon - you are one lucky girl!! 

I'm so glad you got your boy back - all of him!! 
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 10:07:19 am »
I'm glad you got your boy back!  That's scary I think next time I bring Kali to the vet's I'll have her chip checked.  Also welcome to BPO, I hope you'll hang out with us now that you found us.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 10:13:29 am »
Congrats on getting your beloved pup back - THAT is a crazy story! Hope you stick around on BPO, cause we NEED to see more pics of Maltese! :)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 11:10:55 am »
Wow -- that was close.  What happened to the first chip?  Is it uncommon for chips to "fall out"?

I love stories with happy endings.  And I"m not so mad at the shelter/pound as I started out.  They DID scan and look. 
Sarah

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 11:16:30 am »
wow...just wow!!  I am glad you got Maltese back (I love that name BTW).  Thank goodness for good people!!  Seriously guys, sometimes the selflessness and generosity (even if it is just with time) of the members on BPO is astounding!
WTG cricket for helping reunite these two!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 11:25:16 am »
It is so good to have a happy ending to this! Great job everybody!  I'm going to get Cowboy's and Chester's chip checked as well next time they are in the vet's office.  I would never have dreamed that the chip could 'go missing'!!!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 11:38:10 am »
Wow!  I'm so glad you got your guy back, Shannon.  That's frightening how close you came to losing him.  So happy that it worked out!
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom