Author Topic: New doggie update day 2  (Read 2423 times)

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New doggie update day 2
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:50:56 pm »
Morning had a good nights sleep.  Buddy was a different dog last night.  He laid on the rug by the bed and never moved till 7 this morning.  Spray bottle have saved our sanity.
Found a new game.  We have a ton of soft toys, left overs, that we throw up the stairs (we have a 2 story house) He wears himself out running up to fetch them.
Today we are off to get a Gentle Lead.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: New doggie update day 2
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:31:56 pm »
just thought i'd throw out the idea that we used to throw toys up our stairs too, but axle tripped on one of the top stairs and tumbled all the way down, and he really hurt his hips, and was in a lot of pain for almost a week and a half and on pain medicine, we're lucky it didn't do more damage. 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 12:10:25 am »
Thanks for the heads up, didn't think of that.
I spoke too soon this morning.  For the first hour he was great and then he went wild.  Ever time we took him out to walk he would pull, jump and want to bite the lease.  Been bouncing around the house all morning.  Even left a pile in the cellar.  Spray bottles seem to mean play today. 
Went and got the gentle lead, but am having a hard time fitting it to him.
Too old for this, but not ready to give up yet.
Right now I'm giving him the I'm ignoring you treatment.  He just laid down behind my chair.  The first he's laid down since 8 this morning.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 07:27:55 am »
Is there a fenced in area that he could run in?
our kennel club has one, and i bring my newfs there for release on these frigid days.
you might want to find out if you have a kennel club, and join, that way you can go let him run daily!
it would surely help you keep the edge off.
it sounds to me he really needs an outlet for that energy, than, when he is tired, working him in obedience, quick sessions is fabulous.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 09:58:57 am »
We just had the doggie fence  put in, he starts his training on it on Tue.  We are in no man's land there isn't anything around here, other than groomers.  Oh yes there is a stop on the St. Lawrence where no one swims, but has a nice beach, hense it's become the doggie beach.  But this isn't beach weather.
We've been taking him out often and walk him around.  Got a chain set up, but when we put him on it he just sits on the steps and wants in.  Can't even get him to play ball on the chain.
Been trying to teach manners, and have got him to sit for a treat and sit when he's fed.  He will sit as soon as he sees a treat.  He seems to come when called.  Been working on the stay, with out much success yet.
Biggest problem is when he goes nuts.  Just bounces and wants to jump and mouth, both he knows is a no no.
He did inprove as the day went on and has been pretty good tonight.  At least for now

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:58:51 am »
Should of used a new message, day 3

At least we got him to behave in the evening and at night.  Our hardest time is mid morning for about 3 hours he is just wound up.  We have all we can do is keep him under control.
By afternoon he seems to start setteling down and he's great by evening and the same in the early morning.  Seems to hit after he's eaten and gone out the second time.
Got a chain fixed up till we can use the fence.  He doesn't know how to play ball, did play with a small pc of firewood and one of the stuffed toys he likes.  He inherited a lot of toys and then we got him some new ones.
He'll only stay out when some one is with him.
Can't imange how he was cared for.  He doesn't look like he missed any meals, but I don't think he was ever in a house.  Every sound seems to be new to him.
Got a pic just got to find out how to post it.