Author Topic: Dog's Life Magazine Needs Our Input  (Read 3487 times)

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
Dog's Life Magazine Needs Our Input
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:13:14 am »
Hey all,

An editor for Dog's Life Magazine has contacted us for a input on a story they're doing.. the subject is "on things you can do in your life and around your home to make it a better
environment for big dogs."

I thought it everyone might like to add to this.
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

bigdogs@5501

Re: Dog's Life Magazine Needs Our Input
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:35:01 am »
Wow, that would seem to be an easy one to answer, then I started trying to come up with just one example. My entire life and home seems to be geared towards the pups here. Like spending 3 days straight to do fencing to make the property a safer place. Or like making sure that they dont have to spend too much time to themselves at home. I would like to see them focus on what our Big Dogs have taught us in life. I would have so much input on that subject.But I am going to really think about this and will post again.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:59:59 am »
if i had to pick one thing, i would say...

make sure you keep your big paw in good mental and physical condition.  i think this is one of the things that some people don't take into consideration when getting their first big paw, or any dog for that matter.  it takes mental stimulation to keep them happy, and stress free, and to keep them from literally losing their mind.  people don't think about what their big paw was bred to do, and sometimes confine them in crates all day, etc, and then wonder why the dog is aggressive, very easily excited, or "anti-social" with other people and dogs.  also, keeping them physically fit will keep them happy, help reduce the risk of them being obese, which can make some genetic problems such as HD and ED worst than they already are.  obesity can also create all new things, like heart problems. 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 11:32:20 am »

But I also will go on a tangent in a store if I see anyone thinking about buying a Greenie.

what's up with greenies?  we don't buy them, so i don't know a lot about them.  we usually get the Pet Botanics Training Reward Rolls.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:33:51 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 11:44:34 am »
I thought this was going to be easy until I started thinking about it! lol  Our lives changed a lot when we brought Koby home but to actually think about everything we changed is a bit difficult! After we brought Koby home I started using all natural household cleaners, the plants we do have are up high so he can't get to them, just in case they're toxic, we pretty much just "baby proofed" everything. OH and we never leave food out on the counters, Koby WILL get to it if it's left out! 

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 12:54:23 pm »
Everything has to be puppy proofed to a much higher level with the BPs.  Non skid carpet runners to prevent slipping.  Nicnacs and other breakables have to be out of reach on sturdy displays.  Larger vehicles so they can travel in comfort.  All the health inputs into proper diets and exercise.  I think it's also more important to make sure our dogs are obedience trained to make the breeds look good and to keep everyone safe.  Bigger waterbowls and drool towels.  Arranging Playdates with other BPs so they can play without worrying about being attacked by little dogs.  Finding a vet with large breed experience.

That's all I can think of for now I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 01:31:32 pm »
One thing I would do differently (and I'm still working on it) is DOG socialization.  Teddy is well sociallized to people but, because he was so big growing up, we had difficulty introducing him to other dogs (they would generally be afraid of him).  Now, its almost impossible to meet another dog on the street because he becomes so excited.  I don't know why I seemed to think it might get easier as he got older........i t hasn't.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline gottsislandgirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »
First we had to really think about if the Newfy we rescued was a realistic fit for our lifestyle and our home. My husband takes the big baby to work with him, so he's never alone in the house. We don't have a fancy place with expensive floors, so that wasn't a big concern -- but that's the type of thing I think people need to think about. It doesn't take very long, after those two come through the door every night, for the mud, fur, slobber and grit to get around.

We didn't change much when we brought Percy home, other than moving some plants out of tail-swiping zones and kerosene lamps WAY out of the way. But we did A LOT of thinking beforehand about whether or not we were willing to have drool and hair on all our stuff, and if we'd be able to give the dog the time, care and attention he really needs to be a happy healthy Newfy. We also found an old minivan for taking the big fella on the road with us. Other than that, it was just common sense stuff like other people have mentioned -- lots of grooming tools and big water/food dishes, slobber towels in handy places, jumbo toys and plenty of stuffed animals.

Probably the biggest thing -- I think the question involved in one's home and in one's life -- is for us people to do whatever we need to do to stay on an even keel. Mr. Percy gets freaked out when we get freaked out. When peace and happiness reign, he's his own magnificent self.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 07:00:37 am »
Very good question!  My very first big paw (or should I say GIANT paw) changed my life in many ways!  I guess I would have to say, the number one most important thing for people to do when deciding to get a dog- ANY dog- is to realistically look at your life and your future and accept the lifetime commitment you will be making to this dog, and be ready to step up to the plate to make sure you do not have to rehome them a year or so later when you realize just how much work is involved.  Every dog goes through a rebellious "teen" period at about 1 to 2 years of age, and it is during that period that most shelter or abandoned dogs get displaced.  Be ready! Work on training a little bit every day!  Love your dog like you love your own children!  Adopting a dog of any age/size should be undertaken with the same commitment adopting a child, or even deciding to have your own child requires. 

Oh, and it makes life so much easier on everyone if you have a door leading directly into a fenced area of your yard for the dogs to go in and out, and better yet, have a deck or porch, with a ramp in place of stairs.  MUCH easier on their hips, with the added bonus that if you ever need to carry your dog out to put him/her in your car in an emergency, having the ramp makes it much safer for the ones doing the carrying.

Weedsport, NY

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 01:33:45 am »
Get my BP trained.  I'm great at obedience training but I'm still learning in the tracking, agility, and shutzund areas so I have to take Onyx to someone else to learn that.

WALKING!!!! I have to get up early and walk my dog in the morning and walk her b4 I go to bed.
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 06:20:55 am »
A lot of good comments have already been made, so I don't have much to add, but I will make a few comments.

The number one thing you can do to create a positive environment for your big paw is educate yourself. Once you learn about the health, nutrition, grooming, training, exercise, and socialization needs of your dog, you are much better prepared for a happy and healthy life with them.

Since big paws will grow to be large quickly, it is important to frequently socialize, train, and groom them as puppies. This way, they are more likely to be comfortable and cooperative as they grow.

It is also especially important with a large breed to begin proper nutrition early, with high quality food designed for large breed puppies. Some vetrinarians even recommend feeding adult food to slow growth in order to help reduce the possible effects of hip dysplacia in the future. You might also want to consider supplements for your large breed. The two common types of supplements for large breeds are joint supplements (such as glucosamine/chondroitin/msm), since joint issue such as dysplacia are common in giant breeds, and coat supplements (omega 3 fatty acids most commonly found in fish oil).

In order to make your home a safe environment for any dog, especially a large breed dog, it is important to keep any dangers or toxins out of reach of your dog. With a large breed it is important to remember that they are tall enough to reach most tables and counters, as well as the fact that a wagging tail can accidentally knock things down, so don't keep anything breakable or hazardous near the edge.

Large dogs are prone to hip problems, so it is important to make your home comfortable for them if they have sore joints. Provide soft bedding - prefferably multiple beds so that your dog can be comfortable in any room it spends time in. Also, if you do not have carpet, area rugs or foam/rubber floor mats will give your pet much more traction on slippery floors. Keeping nails and under-paw fur trimmed will also increase traction. Additionally, ramps for your car or front steps will help reduce pain from jumping and climbing.

It is also important to provide dogs with activities to keep them enriched and active. Walk them daily to keep them fit and happy. And remember to give them plenty of toys and chewies to keep them busy in the house - if you entertain them with dog friendly activities they wont see a need to destroy your things.
RIP former BPO