Author Topic: Like a duck to water!  (Read 2633 times)

Offline charlieinnj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Like a duck to water!
« on: April 03, 2006, 08:29:10 am »
After this past weekend, there's NO doubt in my mind that Newfies love water. 

This was our first weekend with Oliver (our 11 week old) and on Saturday, we decided to take him to a local dog park for him to have some supervised 'puppy' socialization. This was our first time there and we learned it has a creek and a lake for the dogs to play in. As we walked closer to the creek, Oliver realized what was ahead. I continued walking across the small footbridge, but Oliver wanted no part of the bridge....He went straight into the creek. He walked to the edge to get his feet wet and seconds later, was lifting his front paws into the air then slapping the water to make as big a splash as possible.  Soon, he was into the creek, chest-deep, having the time of his life! 

On Sunday, he had his first session of puppy Kindergarten @ our local Petsmart. As we're sitting in the ring where class is being held, Oliver spots a water bowl and while on his leash, I give him enough lead to go over and get a drink. Ten seconds later, he's standing IN the bowl and proceeds to rear-up on his hind legs and splash down in the bowl sending water flying EVERYWHERE!    Before long, half of the training area was soaked to the gills. Luckily, our instructor is absolutely THRILLED to have a Newfy puppy in class (Ya, we'll see how long that lasts....LOL!)

Then later yesterday afternoon, I turned on the sprinkler system in the yard for the first time this Spring. I was walking around the yard checking out the various watering zones. At first, Oliver was startled by the hissing sound being made from them popping up from the ground. From a distance, with typical puppy curiosity, he wanted to check out what was going on? Within minutes, he realized that the 'yard hissers' (aka, sprinklers....) were spraying water everywhere! Well, he ran right up to them, layed down and enjoyed the water fun.

This whole weekend he made me feel like such a proud Papa!  ;D

EllieAndBlu

Re: Like a duck to water!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 08:50:32 am »
awwwww - that is awesome!!!
And...
Oliver pics please... we NEED Oliver pics!  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 08:51:09 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline charlieinnj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 11:01:06 am »
Does he have a wading pool yet?

Not yet, but we'll definitely get him one in the next few weeks. We have an in-ground pool that I'm sure he'll want to get into eventually!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:10:21 am »
Tooo cute!! They sure make life fun don't they?  Would love to see pictures.

BTW- I bet Oliver has a bably pool on his wish list.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 11:11:58 am by Beth »
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:08:46 pm »
He sounds like a sweetie! Duck to water indeed  ;D
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.