Author Topic: How do I get him to stop  (Read 7027 times)

Blair

How do I get him to stop
« on: October 06, 2005, 01:02:04 am »
Every since I can remember Zeus has been a "vacuum". Its too the point where he is only allowed in the livingroom, while some one is there. He eats, more like gulps down anything and everything. I thought I had it under control by not letting him in any rooms, esp. the kids rooms. Well I guess I was wrong. This morning he threw up a barbie doll dress, a stuff little giraffee, and a pot holder  ??? I know when I am home I keep an extra eye on him cause it takes him no time to swallow something. Well appartently when Ben is home he isnt keeping an eye on him very good >:( Is there anything I can do to stop this of him? I will be having a talk with Ben and the kids tonight, to remind them Zeus is not allowed anywhere in the house except the livingroom. I wish he wouldnt be like this cause I am scared he is going to get very sick from this. I fully understand all the danger this involves thats why I keep him gated in the livingroom. Is there anything that will stop this?

lins_saving_grace

Re: How do I get him to stop
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 01:05:58 am »
I'm still working on the same problem with Grace.  She LOVES socks and hair scrunchies and they go down pretty fast especially when she sees you coming to take them away from her.  It's an ongong process that she may or may not grow out of.  There is a thread here somewhere from RedyreRottweil lers.  She knows almost everything about training.  I'm sure she'll see this and post something that can help.

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 01:10:53 am »
Yeah Red can help..... ;) ;) ;)
Puck does not eat stuff like that. He will follow you and guests around if you have a water bottle though ::)
Farley -well Farley has pooped out cinderalla shoes barbie,hair clips, twist tiesand I am sure you saw the post about him "passing" the sock!!!!! ::) I keep him with me all the time in the house. I feel your pain Blair. It is my husband too who lets him have free range...ahhhhh h. Although the sock incident seems to have changed my husbands unwatchful eye.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 01:12:18 am »
OH Farley Farley Farley!  :) 
Are you entering the dolhpin pic in the calander contest? 

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 01:13:00 am »

I think it may be too x-rated for the calander.lol

Blair

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:13:04 am »

Poor Farley will NEVER live that picture down LOL

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 01:13:36 am »

It's a GREAT picture!  I love it!

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 01:13:50 am »

LOL..I know ..the shame..the shame..... :o

Blair

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:14:27 am »

It's a GREAT picture!  I love it!

I agree it is.....but poor Farley  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:15:15 am by Blair »

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:37:05 am »
Farley's pic should be on the cover! (We need 13 dogs, one for each month and one for the cover)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 01:40:08 am »
Farley's pic should be on the cover! (We need 13 dogs, one for each month and one for the cover)
Oh that's a great idea!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 05:09:15 am »

Many people unknowingly train their dogs to wolf down objects by rushing up to them and pulling things from the puppy's mouth.

I almost NEVER do this. If the pup has something I want, or need, her to spit out, I do one of 2 things:

I take the collar and pull up gently until she spits it out. This ALWAYS WORKS. As the puppy spits it out, I say OUT, good puppy, and give a treat.

OR

I TRADE for whatever the puppy has. I trade a cookie, another toy, whatever. 

You can start playing the "trade" game now. It's a great way to teach puppies to spit out whatever they have without ANY struggle.

My pup will spit out ANYTHING in her mouth if I say spit it out, because she knows a cookie is coming.

I would explain to your husband that gut surgery will run about 1000.00US if there are no complications.

That should get him keeping the gate up.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Anakalia

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 05:14:44 am »
Blair I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on this subject, though, you might not like what I do in that situation.  I can't trust Tony to do anything around the house,especially with the dogs.  If I'm going to be gone and I know he's going to be home I crate both my maltese and Koby.  I'm never gone for two long though, most of the time it's just a couple of hours at a time and I'm always able to stop in and check on them and let them out to stretch.  Koby loves eating toilet paper, rotten garbage food, Kenna's toys and I just don't trust Tony to keep a close eye on him. PLUS the fact my rule is to keep all doors shut at all times so he's only allowed in the kitchen and bedrooms but when I have a 5yr old and Tony here that rule flies out the window. lol  Just a suggestion, and I only crate to keep them safe!

Andi

Anakalia

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 05:16:30 am »
Oh, and I vote a big YES to Farley and Dolphin being on the cover of the calendar! LOL

Andi

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 05:18:45 am »
You can start playing the "trade" game now. It's a great way to teach puppies to spit out whatever they have without ANY struggle.

We play the trade game with Ranger and it works well.  Perhaps TOO well...

He is pretty good about not begging while we are eating, but every once in a while, when we are eating some particularly delicious tidbit, he will come up to us with a toy in his mouth, and kind of gently push it into our laps, let it go, and eye the food... 

His little brain is whirring away, and you can almost hear him say...  "Trade?  Trade?"   :D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*