Author Topic: Gracey never sleeps.  (Read 6045 times)

lins_saving_grace

Gracey never sleeps.
« on: June 16, 2005, 09:01:47 am »
Oh I'm so sleepy.  All the time.  Gracey has determined that she only requires about 5 hours of sleep a day.  We go to bed at 11 ish and are up at 4 am.  I'm hoping once she is fixed at the end of July and is over 6 months old she will settle down and get a little lazy and want to snooze.  But for now I am an early riser.
Any one else have or had this problem?    :-[

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Gracey never sleeps.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 09:09:31 am »
Spotakiss was always awake at night when he was a pup,wanting to play.But now I dont sleep very well between the click clack of his nails as he walks from another spot and his snorring forget it.Maybe gracey needs more exercise to tire her out.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 09:28:03 am »
Puppies will be puppies I know.  :)  Gracey gets a mile long walk almost every night with Lady so it's a hard walk.  and then we RUN RUN RUN through the house catching tennis balls and pull toys and then we RUN RUN RUN some more.  she's not lacking exercise.  The breeder said she was high energy...just hoping the energy level reaches a plateau soon.  :)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 09:31:09 am »
I sleep so hard, I don't know if Rocco sleeps.  He starts the night on his new dog bed and I wake up with him pressed against my side on my bed.  I know he does some wandering around the room because there is dog hair piles in different spots, marks on the carpet where he was digging, and usually a shoe out of the closet. 
Maia sleeps in her cage still to avoid dominance issues.  We go to bed between 10-11 and if I don't get up by 6:30 she barks to wake me up.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 09:41:20 am »
I'm sure Grace would be quiet if she had free reighn of the house at night...but like you said "Domestic issues".  She's in her pin at night and whines and barks starting at 4ish.  :)  At first we thought the sun woke her up but with waking up at 4 it's still dark.  She's just got a lot of energy and things to do.  I'm really hoping she'll grow out of it SOON.  I'd be more than ok with 6 with a wake up bark. 

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 09:51:08 am »
On the weekends, which are the only days I'm not already up at five for work, I get up, let the kids out, then re-crate Strider and tell everyone in my sternest Momma voice "Back to bed." Raven heads back to Nick's waterbed, Merlin hits the couch, and after a few grumbles and circles, even Strider will settle down for a couple more hours. He has never let me sleep past 7:30 AM, though. Once they get used to the routine it works pretty well.
Good luck, I do remember those sleep deprived days all too well.
Stella

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 10:12:14 am »
OMG!...Try a Great Pyrenees pup...lol...Sa mson would sleep all the time if I let him...We got him at 14 weeks & he has always been this way...He slept during puppy classes even!...lol...I even went as far as to take him into the vet to have blood work done because I thought he must be anemic or something...Th e prognosis was very good...He was just a typical Pyr pup...lol!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 10:17:54 am »
Poor Lins! All that I can say is good luck and try to keep her worn out! Bear was and still is a lazy bumkin. He sleeps all night, is awake when I am at 5, sleeps, wakes, sleeps. He gets exercise and loves to play but when things settle down he is always up for a good nap.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 09:25:43 am »
Little Betti has quite the biceps.  When she wants out of the bedroom she hauls off and slams her paws into the door, jarring it against the jam.  She has successfully raked a large area of the door.  It looks as if a grizzly bear has been in here.  She pauses for a minute after each swipe and if no one lets her out, she punches, yes...literall y punches, the door harder.

I love her so much I can only laugh....but I will have to fix the door, eventually.  ;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 09:32:43 am »
Try this: set your alarm for 3:45. Make sure it's loud enough for Gracie to hear it go off.  Let it go off for about 30 seconds, get up and let her out. If she starts whining, etc. BEFORE the alarm goes off, put the pillow over your head and resist getting up until the alarm goes off.

In a 3-4 days, set the alarm for 4:00. Get up and let her out right away.

3-4 days later, set the alarm for 4:15. Same routine.

Soon she will lean that the sound of the alarm means she gets out of the kennel, NOT the sound of her whine.

Right now, she's got YOU trained instead of you training her.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

dohertyswissy

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 09:43:32 am »
Not sure if this will work...it didn't with Ranger.  My sister-in-law has a Rotti named Resee.  When she was a puppy, they had the same issue with her.  She put a sheet over the front of the crate, which designated to Resee that it was time for sleep and the sheet didn't come off until the humans woke up.  After a couple days, she got it.  Maybe that would work for Gracey?

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 11:14:09 am »
Lyns
Oh No. I feel for you. Judge is alot like bear. He gets up with me and then just goes back to sleep. Lazy butt. He has always been like that. My son on the other hand has never slept through the night and after 7 years I doublt he ever will. He has lots of energy too and it doesnt seem to mater how much exercise he gets he still doesnt sleep. :o LOL Kinda the same I guess.  ;D
Coonie

Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 11:16:05 am »
Definately the same as kids.  :)  I bet it's a phase and will end soon.  She hasn't peed in her cage during the day in a whole 2 days straight so I know she's growing out of some of her puppy habits. 

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 09:35:45 pm »
Does Gracey sleep in the bedroom or somewhere else?
My rottie used to bug the heck out of us! She would bring
all of her toys to the bedroom during the night.  My husband
couldn't sleep listening to her chew.  That alarm clock idea
sounds great!  Pretty soon the routine will click.  Spaying
will help a little to calm her down...but don't count on it!
You may see a difference right around 18 months of age.
Daisy would sleep until noon if we let her!  I get up early
after 5 am (my lab is starving by then)  and Daisy is always
laying length wise next to me -I have to climb over her and
she still doesn't get up!  I don't see her until the food hits the
bowl!!!  Gracey will calm down.  Enjoy these times! They seem
so long ago for me!

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 12:30:33 am »
I have no problem with the getting up.  I am up at 4:30 every morning which really sucks on weekends since my 8 month  lab/chow  wakes up my wie and pushes her our of bed becuase it is time to get up. And after all that is Rajah(rott) and Phebe's(chow/lab)  side of the bed. And most of the time my coon hound is the also.
I would say it ia partly a phase and partly not enough evening exerciise.
I did have similar problem with my rott when I got her and she was 4 at the time. I soveld the problem by saying a couple of hundred times "Lay down and fo to sleep. It is not time to get up. Then ignoring her till she would finally lay down. This is a battle for control and you have to win or this will be a life long behavior. I also advocate tthe use of a crate for sleeping for the puppy as it well teach her the "norma"l sleeping hours.
In case you don;t know if you let a rott get a habit she will keep it for a long time. If training does not work a sleeping pill or hammer over the head, both for the dog,  should help you deal with the problem
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse