Author Topic: Dane needs medical help. Any ideas?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Dane needs medical help. Any ideas?
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:12:27 pm »
A friend of mine called me today.  She rescued a dog (Her dog died of bloat and this is his half brother), but she just wanted to help him out as her fried was going to take him.  He bloated, but then in surgery they also found a blood clot which they removed.  Now the vet bills are outrageous, and she can't afford it as she's already in debt from her Dane that just passed.  If he needs to be rehomed so be it but anyone have any ideas?  I contacted GDCNE by email, no response yet. 

This is really important to her.  She feels like Jupiter (Her Dane) sent this dog to her to help.  And if she can't she'll be letting him down. 

So PLEASE any help of any kind is appreciated.  He's in Vermont right now.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Dane needs medical help. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 07:21:23 pm »
Also feel free to cross post this and give my email.

Exception2Rule s@hotmail.com

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:09:57 pm »
PLEASE CROSSPOST!!!!  DANE IN VERMONT NEEDS MEDICAL HELP!

OK I just got off the phone with my friend Michelle.  I now have Booka's whole story.

He's 3 years old.  He was living with a woman who had to give him up because she had a baby 3 months early and she couldn't take care of him.  Her BF at the time was also pushing for it as he hated the dog.  (They think he was abused because he's collar shy.)  So Michelle's friend took him in.  She was laying on the bed in the dark with him when her brother snuck up and attacked them.  Booka was startled and bit him.  No blood or anything.  The Father was upset and said he was going to take Booka out and shoot him, so Michelle took him Saturday night.  Sunday around 2:30PM Booka started panting and frothing and his stomach was rock hard.  She took him to the vet and he had torsioned.  Michelle spoke to the original woman as she didn't have the money and the woman told her to put him down.  Michelle's friend said don't do that she'll take care of it.

They did the surgery and the next day his heart rate was between 220-320 beats per minute.  They put him in the Animal ER overnight (Monday) and Tuesday morning he was bleeding out of his insicion.  It was then discovered he had DIC (Body breaks down and blood doesn't clot)
http://www.vspn.org/vspnsearch/aow/dic.htm

They did surgery and found a blood clot the size of his spleen (A Dane spleen is VERY big), which aleveated the DIC issue, and they sent him home.  That day his IV came out and Michelle called the Vet who told her to give him his meds direct from the syringe.  I can't remember what the meds were but they burned and he was supposed to have 13 CCs.  When they got to 3CCs he flipped out and his incision started to bleed again. 

The vet feels he can make a full recovery if he gets a blood transfusion.  The problem is that they've spent $3000 on vet bills already, and the transfusion is going to be another $1000.  If anyone can help donate for bills or take him into their home and take over his bills and care it would be wonderful.  Any ideas for fundraising ideas are also appreciated.

Please Email me at Exception2Rule s@hotmail.com or call my Cell at (603) 769-7220 and if I don't pick up leave a message with your number. 

Thank you!

Ang Armstrong
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 08:15:46 pm by Anky »

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 09:25:21 pm »
OH ANG!!  :'(
This is so sad, I wish there was something I could do!  I will pray very hard for Booka and for your friend who is trying to help him so much!  I really hope there is a solution and a happy ending for him!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:01:14 pm »
She might want to check with IMOM.  They are an organization that helps pet owners in need.  Here is the link:  http://www.imom.org/

Cindy